The Alliance of American Football

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I heard Johnny Football Manziel has signed with Memphis:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/football/cfl/report-johnny-manziel-signs-standard-player-contract-aaf/

Hopefully his off-field activities are under control, and he concentrates on football.

Well, if his marriage breaking up is any indication...
_tmp_php1xna7z_magic8ball1.jpg

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
Why is it so hard? Many are has been, and some never were, but they can still play the game. I like that some get a second chance. I think the AAF took things far more serious than XFL. The World League struggled. It lasted a little longer when the NFL put their name on it calling it NFL Europe. Football is the biggest sport in the US. It can't support more than one league?

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I think part of it is unrealistic expectations on the part of the league owners and athletes. There’s already 2 multi billion dollar leagues in the USA (NFL, NCAA) plus the the CFL.

And given what we know about the physical toll the sport has on the body, asking for players to take 5-6 figure salaries (max) seems untenable in the long run, barring good retirement & health plans. There are ethical concerns as well.

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
I guess when they start paying college players over the table instead of under, it'll change things.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
That was the ultimate unrealistic expectation. When someone tells you “No” a whole bunch of times, they may just actually mean it.

Zardnaar

Legend
Outsider looking in. Any new league will automatically be small potatoes?

Good player will all have contracts failing that if a new league is off season you can only really get new players (at low pay?).

I assume there is an amount of star power to the NFL. Without it why watch?

Remove ads