Star Wars What I Would Have Done

Hussar

Legend
How is the whole Rose side plot not a massive pile of world building? I mean if you’re going to complain about a lack of world building and then ignore the giant info dump in the middle of the movie, well that’s on the viewer.

Lucas has been good at two things. Gathering a strong team of people around him and finding and using cool new tech. A good director he wasn't - indeed his version of A New Hope was terrible.

[video=youtube;GFMyMxMYDNk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFMyMxMYDNk[/video]

The Last Jedi did not even come close to flopping - it just got some people really annoyed, and as far as my own personal enjoyment was concerned it was in the best three (with Empire in first and along side A New Hope). It also made a better ROI than Rogue One (and was a better film and less of a mess all round; cut the nostalgia off Rogue One and there's little left to the point Jyn Erso's best line was only in the trailer and she and several other characters were utterly inconsistent). Solo flopped because it was not a terribly well done story that no one really wanted - Han Solo does not need much of a back story and it didn't push anything forward.

And yes, Kylo Ren is the big villain and is the second best villain the entire Star Wars saga has ever seen, behind only Darth Vader himself. Possibly Rey can defeat him with a lightsaber - but so what if she can? If Rey defeating Kylo Ren with a lightsaber is how it ends then it will be proof positive that Episode 9 has forgotten what makes Star Wars. Seriously, when has a lightsaber fight been a good resolution? Obi-Wan lost in A New Hope. Luke lost in Empire. Luke won in Return of the Jedi by throwing away his lightsaber. Obi Wan killed Darth Maul (seriously, I ignore that ridiculous piece of canon) in The Phantom Menace - solving little and it was The Phantom Menace. Anakin vs Dooku was not a win for the good guys. Yoda vs The Emperor resolved nothing. And Obi Wan vs Anakin? Duels solve nothing except minor enemies in Star Wars. The crucial moments have been face-heel and heel-face turns in the Star Wars saga (both of Anakin) - and unlike Anakin Kylo Ren chooses to openly and deliberately be evil. Oh, and he's actually more powerful than Vader; Vader didn't hold blaster bolts in mid air, and he needed a droid to interrogate with.

Or in short I disagree with just about everything the OP has written except that Star Wars Battlefront is not a match for either the 90s or the 00s Star Wars computer games. The X Wing saga and KOTOR have strong legacies for good reason while EA has messed up Battlefront.

Zardnaar

Legend
How is the whole Rose side plot not a massive pile of world building? I mean if you’re going to complain about a lack of world building and then ignore the giant info dump in the middle of the movie, well that’s on the viewer.

The execution was off, it kind of involved RL politics, the characters were uninteresting and it all felt mostly pointless along with the general theme of the movie and the execution (a chase in space, in Star Wars). It also lead to the end of the move with an untrained kid using move object.

The weapons dealing thing was kinda decent that was OK.

Look at the original, Lukes (the chosen ones kid) use of the force was very subtle. He sucked with the lightsaber vs the drone and at the end he used the force to switch off his targeting computer. He managed to use move object after being trained by Yoda, and in RoTJ he uses mind trick on Bib Fortuna.

Anakin was trained for 10 years between ANH and AoTC, we see Padawans being trained in the temple in the prequels. In the EU/Legends Lukes and Leia kids had to be trained, the new Sith had to be trained, Revan had to retrain as well in KoToR. Training is also a big thing in the cartoons. If you don''t have a teacher find/use a holocron like Ezra in Rebels (who also had a teacher).

So TLJ basically did a big 180 basically ignoring 6 movies before it and had Rey and some kid using force powers untrained. Untrained force users usually have only very basic things like premonitions, dreams etc or at best wing it when they lose their temper. Throw in the force is female T-shirts Kathleen and co was wearing and they basically ignored one of the biggest tropes of Star Wars and what lore Obi Wan established in the OT's (it surrounds etc). Wonder why people get upset now?

Combine this with a crappy job f explaining the First Order and basically ignoring the end of RotJ (the New Republic fell part in 30 year really). Oh and also using hyperspace to fly into the gravity well of planets and using a ship as a hyperspace weapon also makes little sense in universe (why not just fire hyperspace X-Wings with Droids at star destroyers or fling a corvette at the Death Star). Why not just hyperspace a ship into the port thing on Starkiller base. Maybe Holdo is a genius but Akbar and Thrawn didn't figure it out and they are generally portrayed as being a genius.

They're either contradicting the older stuff or using stupid ideas what basically makes everything they did in the other 6 movies pointless. Throw in points like Kylo being an ineffective villain (he has lost twice already) and Rey being overpowered ( if she beat Kylo again so what he has already lost twice). Compare Reys trajectory to any of the OT 3 main characters she heas been written to be unbeatable with no really explanation. Anakin was the chosen one and he still got cut up by Dooku and Obi Wan. Luke got beaten up buy a wampa and lost to Vader. Vader never really lost until the end of the 3rd movie and it was the climax of the OT.

Basically instead of training to be a powerful force user just be an orphan or by yourself. You'll be knocking out those force lightnings way easier, the dark side isn't quicker or easier just don't have any parents around. Luke one of the most powerful force users ever got shown up by some untrained kid 13 years younger than him. Gebnerally things should make sense in universe and not contradict everything with no real effort made at explanation.

Last edited:

Hussar

Legend
Ahh. Canon issues. This is why the movies don’t bother me. Cherry picking inconsistencies in an SF series to prove a point bores me to tears and is so completely meaningless.

Zardnaar

Legend
Ahh. Canon issues. This is why the movies don’t bother me. Cherry picking inconsistencies in an SF series to prove a point bores me to tears and is so completely meaningless.

More in universe logic. Say a group of Sith used the force to blow up a planet it's silly but makes a bit of sense in universe. They have never defined the upper limit of the force.

A Sith or Jedi also doesn't require much explaining. If you're a Jedi it's kind of assumed you can use a lightsaber and force powers. If Rey and some kid can do it untrained what was the point of major parts of the OT and prequels?

Both Rey and Kylo had great introductions but I would have had Kylo own Rey she survives and then tracks down Luke if Starkiller base blows up.

Last edited:

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Umm what?

Star Wars Rebels would like to have a word.

Heck, the Jedi would like to have a word too.

Star Wars is full of child soldiers.

The Rebels characters aren’t children, or soldiers.

Jedi younglings arent soldiers, and they don’t send Padawans out into danger until they’re old enough that their age matches the fantasy-esque expectation of a young knight, at least. Ie, legal adult, if barely. Also, what do the Jedi have to do with the Rebel Alliance?

The Rebel Alliance does not employ child soldiers.

Hussar

Legend
The Rebels characters aren’t children, or soldiers.

Jedi younglings arent soldiers, and they don’t send Padawans out into danger until they’re old enough that their age matches the fantasy-esque expectation of a young knight, at least. Ie, legal adult, if barely. Also, what do the Jedi have to do with the Rebel Alliance?

The Rebel Alliance does not employ child soldiers.

14 year old Ezra Bridger would beg to differ.

And, taking very young children from their parents and forcing them to be soldiers is the very definition of child soldiers.

Zardnaar

Legend

And, taking very young children from their parents and forcing them to be soldiers is the very definition of child soldiers.

Jedi aren't soldiers. Jedi children have seen combat in extremis.

Star Wars kinda has a fantasy with youth. Luke and Leia were 18, Anakin was 10, Ezra 14, Sabine 16, Padme 14.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle

Jedi aren’t soldiers, nor is Ezra.

Whether teenagers are “children” is debatable (by the time he is fighting the empire, rather than just stealing and smuggling, he isn’t 14, so “14 year old Ezra Bridger” is entirely disengenuous) but no one asked Ezra to get himself in trouble that brought imperial trouble, and then end up being force sensitive in a universe where the government is hunting force sensitives. The imply that his story is remotely comparable to actual child soldiers, or a situation like Andor’s story in Rogue One, is insultingly nonsensical.

As for Jedi, no, it’s not the same as child soldiers. They are trained, and literally can leave if they want once they are trained enough to not be a accidentally dangerous. Child soldiers are children that are being made to fight as soldiers. I don’t know why you’re trying to muddy that with this nonsense about Jedi being child soldiers, but it is beyond the limits of my patience.

Presenting the Rebel Alliance as an organization that employs assassins that are unambiguously little children completely changes the moral character of the organization, and irreparably changes the nature of all stories that feature the Rebel Alliance.

Remove ads