Star Wars What I Would Have Done

Waru was very very bad. Daalas problem was the writers. I'll see your Children of The Jedi and raise you a Crystal Star. Both make TLJ look like a masterpiece.

This explains it better and I don't have the skills for a youtube video (nor would anyone care), but this guy doesn't seem like a raving loon.

Ahsoka Vs Rey

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wlBpRnFEcg

you know..you say you're a fan but you don't recognize the "ruined forever" page from Wookiepedia https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Wookieepedia:Ruined_FOREVER which ends in "In other words, pretty much everything..."

Zardnaar

Legend
Did not know about that page. Not do I think it's ruined forever they have a good record with the animated stuff.

I use wookiepedia for the new metaplot and RPG research.

As I said there's worse than TLJ it's kinda obscure to the populace at large and dates from 25 years ago.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
I don't understand why everyone is blaming Hayden. For me, he was good in Prequels. I mean not like Ewan McGregor, but still he did a good job in those movies.

Hayden was definitely weak in Attack of the Clones. But he's been good in other things - so what was the problem? Most likely, George Lucas as the director. Word from actors is he's not that good at directing people. He's a fantastic producer, though. He makes things happen. He makes new technologies happen. That's his strength, not directing.

Zardnaar

Legend
Natalie also wasn't that good. The problem was George plus the dialogue. Natalie is better than Hayden in other things and she said Hayden did a great audition.

Star Wars has always taken a punt on new actors with one or two established ones.

Did you watch that video I linked?
I have learned from experience to never EVER watch videos by Star Wars fans about TLJ.

Rose is unpopular because that whole side story was mostly pointless.
Don't kid yourself. Rose is unpopular because she is a woman of colour.
John Boyega was in every scene of that sideplot and no one harassed him off Twitter with uncountable death threats.

That sideplot, which was all of 12 minutes and thus just 10% of the runtime, is actually pretty essential to the theme of the movie. It elevates the movie above almost every other Star Wars film, showing the actual people the rebellion is about as well as the growing legend of the resistance. It shows why Luke matters and why Luke's last stand was impressive.

TFA could have done a better job at world building, but overall was a mostly enjoyable movie that mostly made sense.
So… because you liked it, the horrible worldbuilding is forgivable. But because you disliked TLJ, the horrible worldbuilding it mostly inherited from TFA is a dealbreaker.

Both here and Finn both came across as idiots because they couldn't follow simple instructions like find the guy with the rose lapel that Maz told them about.
As opposed to Han and Luke's masterpiece of a prison break?
Anakin's rescue of Obi-Wan on Geonosa?

Star Wars is full of plots and plans that fail spectacularly. Why is this one unforgivable?

You can do that once or twice (Luke runs off to confront Vader for example) but when all the characters are doing it all of the time it just gets repetitive. Poe gets a whole squadron of bombers killed and leads a mutiny, Rey rushes off to try and redeem Kylo a character she barely knows and just met. ANH-ESB was 3 years in universe, TFA-TLJ was a few hours or days.
Again, you freely admit that the complaints that you are making about TLJ occur elsewhere but you give them a pass.

You really need to stop. Just stop. Rewatch The Last Jedi and do some introspective soul searching and decide what you didn't like about the movie and why.
And you need to accept that it's okay to just not like a movie on a tonal level. To just inherently have a movie rub you the wrong way. That's fine. Really. There’s NO requirement for you to like every movie or like the same movies as everyone else. But you don't need to justify it. You don't need to convince other people who did enjoy it that it was really bad and they should feel bad about enjoying it.

When all of the characters (including the villains) are basically being idiots all of the time with very little to fall back on with virtually no character development and so so world building is it any wonder that a lot of people don't care about them.
Yeah… let's not get into "character development" in Star Wars, because that's a deep, deep rabbit hole of suck. Lucas is many things, but a deep character writer he is not.

I don't really care if people agree with me or not
And yet you keep posting these long rants and starting new posts...

and we'll have to see how IX turns out but its seems they are doing a 180 for some strange mysterious reason.
Based on what?
Abrams is being more secretive than usual with Episode IX. We don't even know the title and it's less than a year from release. (In comparison, the first Force Awakens teaser was out a little over a year-and-a-month before the release.)

If you're implying they're unhappy with TLJ that seems to fly in the face of reality. The film made a billion dollars. Johnson is still making a new trilogy. And 75-80% of the audience were really happy with the film.
Are you seriously suggesting Disney is going to do a 180 in response to 4% of the fanbase that is extra unhappy with TLJ? The tiny vocal minority that won't stop talking about how bad the film was because it had girls using lightsabers and Luke Skywalker not being a happy heroic Jedi god.

And yeah some people are toxic towards TLJ, I don't think its the worst SW movie by a long shot, we have 2/3 prequels for that.
And the Holiday Special.
Plus the two Ewok films.
And Solo, which lost money.

Zardnaar

Legend
I have learned from experience to never EVER watch videos by Star Wars fans about TLJ.

Don't kid yourself. Rose is unpopular because she is a woman of colour.
John Boyega was in every scene of that sideplot and no one harassed him off Twitter with uncountable death threats.

That sideplot, which was all of 12 minutes and thus just 10% of the runtime, is actually pretty essential to the theme of the movie. It elevates the movie above almost every other Star Wars film, showing the actual people the rebellion is about as well as the growing legend of the resistance. It shows why Luke matters and why Luke's last stand was impressive.

So… because you liked it, the horrible worldbuilding is forgivable. But because you disliked TLJ, the horrible worldbuilding it mostly inherited from TFA is a dealbreaker.

As opposed to Han and Luke's masterpiece of a prison break?
Anakin's rescue of Obi-Wan on Geonosa?

Star Wars is full of plots and plans that fail spectacularly. Why is this one unforgivable?

Again, you freely admit that the complaints that you are making about TLJ occur elsewhere but you give them a pass.

You really need to stop. Just stop. Rewatch The Last Jedi and do some introspective soul searching and decide what you didn't like about the movie and why.
And you need to accept that it's okay to just not like a movie on a tonal level. To just inherently have a movie rub you the wrong way. That's fine. Really. There’s NO requirement for you to like every movie or like the same movies as everyone else. But you don't need to justify it. You don't need to convince other people who did enjoy it that it was really bad and they should feel bad about enjoying it.

Yeah… let's not get into "character development" in Star Wars, because that's a deep, deep rabbit hole of suck. Lucas is many things, but a deep character writer he is not.

And yet you keep posting these long rants and starting new posts...

Based on what?
Abrams is being more secretive than usual with Episode IX. We don't even know the title and it's less than a year from release. (In comparison, the first Force Awakens teaser was out a little over a year-and-a-month before the release.)

If you're implying they're unhappy with TLJ that seems to fly in the face of reality. The film made a billion dollars. Johnson is still making a new trilogy. And 75-80% of the audience were really happy with the film.
Are you seriously suggesting Disney is going to do a 180 in response to 4% of the fanbase that is extra unhappy with TLJ? The tiny vocal minority that won't stop talking about how bad the film was because it had girls using lightsabers and Luke Skywalker not being a happy heroic Jedi god.

And the Holiday Special.
Plus the two Ewok films.
And Solo, which lost money.

I liked Solo better than TLJ. Leaving TLJ was kinda like leaving TPM just disappointed. Leaving TFA I got that happy buzz feeling that's the prequels kinda missed. TPM disappointment was was though.

With movies generally you give and take a bit. The OT gets a pass on some of it because the good parts were so good. The new ones don't have the I an your father moment or even you are Revan a game pulled off. The training thing did stand out.

Much like 4E you have certain expectation of franchises. Giving the actress hell who played Rose hell is just beyond the pale. Twitter is cancer I don't use it.

Hussar

Legend
I'll make no argument about whether it was a good movie.

IMVSO, Rogue One isn't Star Wars. The Rebel Alliance does not employ assassins or child soldiers. Period.

Umm what?

Star Wars Rebels would like to have a word.

Heck, the Jedi would like to have a word too.

Star Wars is full of child soldiers.

Zardnaar

Legend
Umm what?

Star Wars Rebels would like to have a word.

Heck, the Jedi would like to have a word too.

Star Wars is full of child soldiers.

Yup in canon, and the old legends they had kids using lightsabers or the force to defend themselves. I think Jacen and Jaina were 2 or 3.

Hussar

Legend
Fans realize something Lucasfilm Ltd. does not, that robust 38-year-old billion-dollar franchises, while seemingly healthy, are in actuality as fragile as two bricks tied together with tissue paper. One mistake, one bad mis-step will cause the entire thing to shatter and fall apart; and Star Wars would be ruined forever.

Fortunately, there is hope. The Star Wars fanbase has resolved to remain ever vigilant against something that could Ruin Star Wars Forever, and call out warning if they see something that could potentially do so.

Some Star Wars conservationists suggest a more extreme approach, that Star Wars should abandon all attempts at re-invention and instead cater exclusively to the old-school fanbase. Though attractive, this approach may prove impractical as a long-term solution.

Ruined Forever remains a serious threat to Star Wars now and in the foreseeable future, though it's possible a proposed initiative requiring all Star Wars fans to purchase an annual "DVD offset" could ensure our fragile brand's existence through the mid-21st century.
Things that have Ruined Star Wars Forever in the past:
George Lucas
Darth Vader is Luke's father!
Leia is Luke's sister!
Ewoks
Those zany comics with the green bunny
The Glove of Darth Vader
Luke goes EVIL!
Kyp Durron
Callista Ming
Waru
Luke having a one-night stand
Destroyers and Dreadnaughts
Re-editing the classics
Greedo shot first
Prequel trilogy
Jar Jar Binks
Midi-chlorians
Del Rey
Races without the Force
Palpatine coming back invalidates the ending of ROTJ!
Oh no! They killed Chewbacca! You bastards!
Oh my god! They killed our favorite Jedi! You bastards!
Oh no! Anakin Solo was too young to die!
Hayden Christensen
The Republic is only 1,000 years old
Star Wars Galaxies
Darths before Bane
The Hayden Christensen ghost in ROTJ
3 million clone troopers
Force lightning, not just for Sith anymore
Torturing joiners
Jacen-In-Name-Only becomes a Sith
Boba Fettishism
Luke appoints the new Emperor
Why couldn't Luke still be alive in 137 ABY?
New Galactic Empire
Lame Darths
The Exile is female
Drew Karpyshyn's adventures in continuity
Death of Mara Jade
Jacen got killed by Jaina!
"When the legend becomes fact, print the fact."
Rick McCallum
Dave Filoni killed my continuity!
Anakin has a Padawan?!
Mindless console action with... Vader's apprentice? WTF?
KOTOR/Dark Times/Rebellion/Legacy crossover
OMFG, why is that brain-damaged Imperial war criminal Daala the new GA Chief of State?!?
Mando addicts with long-term contracts (again)
LotF Sequel Series
NJO Comic Series
Mandalore is what, now?!
ZOMG they canceled KotOR!
ZOMG they canceled Legacy!
The Jedi Civil War was not what it seemed
Dave Filoni: "Han Solo cannot understand Chewie"
George Lucas at Celebration V
Asajj Ventress was from where, now?!
Darth Maul has a brother?!
Wait, two brothers?! Oh, back to one.
Even Piell died before the Great Jedi Purge?!
Darth Vader screames "NOOOOOOO" when he throws the Emperor down the reactor shaft?!
A KotOR MMORPG
~"I’m picking up my blaster, Put it on my side. I’m jumpin’ in my Falcon, Wookiee at my side.
I’m Solo, I’m Han Solo,I’m Han Solo. I’m Han Solo. Solo."~
Darth Maul is alive?
THE EXPANDED UNIVERSE DOESN'T EXIST ANYMORE?
The "pork side"
SHEEV PALPATINE?!
Star Wars Rebels
Phineas and Ferb: Star Wars
No more 20th Century Fox Fanfare
A heart"felt" re-telling of the classics
Lego Star Wars: Droid Tales
Star Wars live-action TV series
Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens
Rogue One
Han Solo film
The Last Jedi