F. Wesley Schneider Is D&D's New Editor

Pathfinder designer F. Wesley Schneider has just started a new job as an editor for Dungeons & Dragons! He worked at Paizo from 2003, starting as assistant editor on Dragon magazine, became editor-in Chief, and left in 2017.

Pathfinder designer F. Wesley Schneider has just started a new job as an editor for Dungeons & Dragons! He worked at Paizo from 2003, starting as assistant editor on Dragon magazine, became editor-in Chief, and left in 2017.

a6271851affb4a3699c3f897df1672ce_400x400.jpeg

Schneider announced his new position on Twitter, and lists "Editor for Dungeons & Dragons" in his Twitter bio.

I think we all know that there is a real issue with lack of diversity in the RPG world in general. ...

What I will say though, is that it's a clear reason why we need to support and encourage more diversity for those in the entry level jobs and indie companies. I.e., we need to give minorities that experience so when higher level key roles do open up, we have a much greater diverse and experienced applicant pool. Address the root issue, IMO....
Agreed. And I think the industry is doing pretty well at this. One thing that I took note of recently is the bio post of the Gamma World guy a week ago on ENWorld, it took him 6 years of freelance writing before he got a full time RPG job.

People need to realize that it takes time to get the job of your dreams, or even the first in your dream career. The industry is tiny, the market hard to get into, and it takes TIME. Time to get the job, time to change the industry.

Perhaps but we haven't seen any hires from there yet.
See below
Various DMsG authors can be found in the credits of recent hardcovers. DotMM contains several, for example.

Nice that's great. Hopefully they can get some experience and practice their design chops. Variety is good but with a relatively small crew and hires it makes it hard.

I don't know if I would call the DMsGuild a great way to get noticed. Somehow I doubt WotC has someone(s) grabbing every single thing on the guild and going through the products to see what's great and who made it. ...

There are a few that got lucky, and I am definitely happy for them. But I don't think the DMsGuild and the internet as a whole is the best way. Easiest to put something out there? Absolutely.
The DMsGuild is a very effective model for WotC to use to select new talent. It relies upon the free market to determine who the good writers/authors are. OBS and WotC have to do very little, all they need to do is look at who gets good reviews, who tops the best sellers and gets medals time and again.

Sure, such a system may not use "artistic" criteria for selecting new talent, but more important to a publicly traded company is marketability and the resulting profitability. Besides, any type of "artistic" criteria is subjective to an individual's opinion. A market based solution is exactly that, based upon the market. What are the most number of people willing to spend their money on? Sounds like a pretty effective system to me.

Sacrosanct

Legend
That's what I was saying. I am sure someone on the magazine teams went through everything submitted to them to find the things they felt were good enough to publish. And if they continued to submit stuff, it was more likely to be chosen over something else. I am certain there is no such thing happening with the DMsGuild. And I consider everything on there as being "submitted to WotC" since they get 25% of every purchase. Also, as far as I know, that's the only way to "submit" something to them. I don't expect someone from WotC to scour every possible website for D&D homebrew items. I highly doubt they scour every product on the Guild. So saying it's a WAY easier process than before has me highly skeptical.

Maybe I'm confused or not understanding your correctly. When you said this:

I don't know if I would call the DMsGuild a great way to get noticed. Somehow I doubt WotC has someone(s) grabbing every single thing on the guild and going through the products to see what's great and who made it. Something I am almost certain was a thing with Dungeon and Dragon magazines.

It seemed to infer that Dungeon and Dragon were grabbing everything back in the day. And they weren't. Only what was submitted to them directly. The same as now. The only difference, is that when I created my first RPG in 1986 (first hand written, then on a Brother word processor), TSR would have no idea it existed unless I sent it to them, and even then it relied on snail mail and all the info they had on me was just whatever I sent them. Now, with DMs Guild, everyone can see everything I've created, and it's given to them instantly, and in a place that's nice and convenient for them to do a much more thorough assessment of what I may have to offer. And there is a much greater chance they know of products and creator skill. For example, I'm pretty sure many folks at WoTC know about Uncaged without the creators having sent anything to WoTC directly, whereas in the 80s, they wouldn't have unless it was mailed to them directly.

oreofox

Explorer
[MENTION=15700]Sacrosanct[/MENTION] : When I said "Something I am almost certain was a thing with Dungeon and Dragon magazines", I was referring to the part about "going through the products to see what's great and who made it". Everything submitted to Dragon and Dungeon magazines, I am really certain, had someone reading it (or some of it, depending) before being published into the magazines. The DMsGuild has no such thing. Anyone could copy-paste some garbage from dandwiki and toss it onto the Guild.

I highly doubt WotC has anyone doing the same with the things put on the Guild, and as far as I know, that's the only way to "submit" anything to WotC. And with the amount of items published on there in a day, it is really easy to get your's lost in the stream. So how does one exactly get noticed by WotC (or another publisher) from something they put on there? Is it number of sales? There's a large amount of "Pay what you want" on there, and the number of those paying anything (with a lot being 1 penny at a time) instead of just putting a 0 in the price box is very low. I have 4 things on there personally. Their numbers are 1185, 1242, 1324, and 1835 (I believe that's more than enough to get everything Gold Seller badge). That's including the free. Take out the free, and those same ones are 93, 118, 112, and 159.

DMsGuild is easier to get your stuff out to the masses, depending on how many pages they browse through. I am not being negative towards the Guild. I am glad it is up there. I have gotten a number of good items. I just wish I knew the metric on what they use to notice people. Is it just the ones that manage to get into the top 10 in the "Most Popular DMs Guild Titles"? I know you don't know the answer to that.

I highly doubt WotC has anyone doing the same with the things put on the Guild, and as far as I know, that's the only way to "submit" anything to WotC. And with the amount of items published on there in a day, it is really easy to get your's lost in the stream. So how does one exactly get noticed by WotC (or another publisher) from something they put on there? Is it number of sales?
WotC won't say what criteria they use. And I hope they never do. As soon as you outline an official process, it will be abused by folks. Not having a 'process' means they can remain flexible. And to date I can't really argue to much about those they have picked as adepts or to contribute to DoMM etc.

There's a large amount of "Pay what you want" on there, and the number of those paying anything (with a lot being 1 penny at a time) instead of just putting a 0 in the price box is very low. I have 4 things on there personally. Their numbers are 1185, 1242, 1324, and 1835 (I believe that's more than enough to get everything Gold Seller badge). That's including the free. Take out the free, and those same ones are 93, 118, 112, and 159.
I doubt PWYW counts much towards anything, and zero cost sales count nothing towards medals or rankings. In short, if you don't value your work, why should anyone else? (Yes yes, I know the arguments on both sides.)

DMsGuild is easier to get your stuff out to the masses, depending on how many pages they browse through. I am not being negative towards the Guild. I am glad it is up there. I have gotten a number of good items. I just wish I knew the metric on what they use to notice people. Is it just the ones that manage to get into the top 10 in the "Most Popular DMs Guild Titles"? I know you don't know the answer to that.

But 4 works are not going to get you noticed, not unless each one is so exceptional that it's the best thing ever. The other things to be aware of, the Guild is not a marketing system, its only a distribution channel. You need to market and advertise your products on your own.

Those that have been noticed, are folks that put out dozens or hundreds of products. That are involved in collaborations with others, that continuously create original content and top the charts over and over.

The have a cadre of folks that follow them, that look for their next product. That socialize it when they release something and spread the word.

And, realize that we really have very little data or examples to draw from. WotC's products take over a year to go from the design table to public announcements. (DoMM was in playtest something like 10 months prior to release). So, anyone from the Guild who may be involved in any of the 2019 products have already been selected and are under an NDA, and have been for months.

Getting noticed is not something that is going to happen in a few months or a year. It's not going to happen on your first or fifth product. Expect it to take years. And expect that it is going to take more than just your writing skills. You are going to have to advertise/socialize your works. You're going to show you not only can write, but you can contribute to a team. i.e. you are promoting yourself for a professional job, not a hobby.

oreofox

Explorer
I wasn't posting my numbers asking "Why didn't I get noticed?" I knew just those 4 things (made in the first month the site was open, with nothing since) wouldn't get me noticed. I didn't make them to do that, either. I know $0 "purchases" don't count towards the badges. I sold those 4 pdfs with the outlook to see if anyone would be interested. Almost 3 years to the day was the last time I uploaded anything to the site (March 22, 2016), and I am surprised any of it is still being purchased. People paid money 2x for each item this month, which I find impressive after 3 years and no name recognition (which is why I put them as PWYW, hoping it might get my stuff out there), and had plans of making more. Unfortunately, life got in the way and I have been having trouble finding both the time to make more as well as the motivation.

Whether this way is easier or not, none of us will ever know. You apparently view it that way, while I am the opposite. And I agree with you, I hope WotC never makes it known what their process is. Because it would be like you said. I still have ideas of things I would like to upload to the Guild, but my problem is finding the motivation.

Also, I have been on many forums that ban you for advertising something, whether relevant to the forum or not. Makes it difficult to spread the word. But maybe I am just going to the wrong places?

Also, I have been on many forums that ban you for advertising something, whether relevant to the forum or not. Makes it difficult to spread the word. But maybe I am just going to the wrong places?

I don't know of any good forums to advertise on. At least in posts. You can buy paid ads (on sites like ENWorld) but I haven't heard good responses to it though. The places that I hear are somewhat effective to advertise on is Twitter (ugh!) and Facebook, if you are active in the right groups. But, I think the most effective place is to get positive reviews by various bloggers that have a lot of readers.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads