D&D 3E/3.5 Think I Have Finally Figured Out How To Fix 3.5 (it took a decade)

Horwath

Legend
No reason you can't add re:blush:serve feats back in. Did Pathfinder make cantrips at will? I can't remember.

I did implement them.

I.E.

Fiery burst: requirements; you need to know a firespell of 1st level or higher.
+1 to int, wis or cha.
As an action you can throw a small fireball up to 100ft away. It's radius is 5ft
Dex save, DC 8+prof+int or wis or cha mod.
damage eqaual to 1d6 per spell level you can cast. 9d6 as 17th level full caster.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
For skills, I'd probably use something similar to pathfinder in that there are no cross-class skills and instead you can have a maximum of 1 skill point in a skill per character level. If the skill is on your class list, you get a +3 class bonus.

Yaarel

He Mage
It seems that your microfeats are in the ballpark of half-feats. It would be easy to callibrate their balance as half-feats.

The only thing that makes me pause is the +2 to attack or ac or saves or dc. Even in previous editions an attack bonus was highly valuble. In 5e with bounded accuracy, and difficulty with getting attack bonuses, it is even more valuable. Also + 2 damage is more powerful than +2 damage.

Anyway it seems half feats are a useful unit of measure for many features. Your list is a fun menu to choose from.

Not a bad list, I don't think I would disagree to much maybe with the Tiefling. I made a kickass halfling fighter but it used some 3pp feats.

Anyway some of my microfeats and explanations

Some are 5E ones cut into pieces.

Alert
You can’t be surprised while conscious
Other creatures do not gain advantage to hit you if they are hidden from you.

Actor
You have advantage on any deception or performance checks made to pass yourself off as a different person.
You can mimic the sounds made by another person or creature. You must have heard the person or creature talking or making those sounds for at least a minute. A successful charisma (deception) check opposed by a wisdom (insight) check indicates success.

Healer
When using a healing kit you may restore hit points to a being. You gain the following benefits.

When you stabilize a dying character you restore them to 0 hit points.

As an action you can restore 1d6+4+ your level hit points to a creature. A creature cannot regain hit points from this feat again until it completes a long rest.

Some are based on 3.5, updated to more modern mechanics.

Cleave [martial]
Once per round when you reduce an opponent to 0 hit points or less with a melee attack you can make an additional attack against an opponent within reach as a bonus action.

Combat Expertise You gain disadvantage on your attack rolls. Your opponents gain disadvantage on attack rolls against you. You can only use this feat while making melee attacks.

THe odd mechanical one.
Dagger Master [martial]
You gain gains a +2 bonus to initiative and +2 bonus to hit when using daggers.

Some bad 3.X feats got merged.

Divine Boon
The gods favor you and have blessed you with a portion of their power. You gain a +2 bonus on all saving throws.

or tweaked

Great Fortitude
You gain advantage on fortitude saves.

And others are based on 4E or ported from 4E.

Dwarven Resilience
As a reaction you gain resistance to an incoming source of damage. This ability can be used one per short rest.

Dwarven Weapon Training [Dwarf, Martial)]
Requirement: Dwarf
Benefit: You gain proficiency and a +2 bonus to damage rolls with axes and hammers.

Power Attack
You may take a -2 penalty to hit with a weapon that is does not have the light or finesse property. You gain a +3 bonus to all melee attacks.

Not I use 5E terms and round stucture, these are copy and pastes from my personal D&D I am playing with. I've done over 50 of them drawing on 3.5, Pathfinder, 4E, 5E and Star Wars Saga Edition.

Yaarel

He Mage
My difficulty with the reserve feat is, it feels like a feat tax, wasting an opportunity cost for something that I feel every magical character should be doing.

I would rather think of cantrips as a proficiency.

CHOICE OF PROFICENCY
- skill
- tool
- language
- weapon (martial x2)
- light or medium armor (heavy x2)
- cantrip (x2)

The player chooses whichever proficiency seems pertinent. Want a Wizard without cantrips? Go for it. Want a Wizard without weapons who only fights magically. Need your Wizard in armor or with a bow or sword? It is balanced.

Zardnaar

Legend
Is the moon druid really broken? I thought that the consensus was that it was really strong only for a few levels then not that special.

Edit: I may have misunderstood. You are saying that the 3e wild shape is OP, not 5e?

It seems that your microfeats are in the ballpark of half-feats. It would be easy to callibrate their balance as half-feats.

The only thing that makes me pause is the +2 to attack or ac or saves or dc. Even in previous editions an attack bonus was highly valuble. In 5e with bounded accuracy, and difficulty with getting attack bonuses, it is even more valuable. Also + 2 damage is more powerful than +2 damage.

Anyway it seems half feats are a useful unit of measure for many features. Your list is a fun menu to choose from.

It's why I limited the + 2 bonus to daggers. Good feat for rogues, not so much for anyone else. My main point a are to have a flatter curve between the good feats and meh feats. Not that I want meh feats anyway.

Also I don't have the -5/+10 feats in the game and might use different numbers than 5E.

Also mixed and matched. My rogues get sneak attack and backstab which grants advantage when you flank.

Last edited:

Remove ads