Anyone Else Play Stellaris?

Zardnaar

Legend
I used to play a lot of Stellaris but have slowed down a lot since Megacorporations and the changes made. This is due to the AI not being able to handle their economy and by 2300 you can take down an empire 3 times bigger than you.

Still I like the sandbox nature of the game and the design you own civ aspects of it. Mods are also around for popular sci fi things like Star Wars and Star Trek.

https://imgur.com/r/Stellaris/b6G7Ukr

You can also do things like space nazis, space communists, Tyranids, Borg, space Terminator 2, or space anything else yo can think of like Space British Empire or even Space New Zealand (Fan Xenophile, eglartarian, agrarian, democracy, ).

In MP with houserules is fun depending on who you are playing with, X5 crisis as the big bad in that environment although you can do it in single player.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
I play Stellaris, but with few DLC. While there are win conditions, it's so sandbox that I sort of feel like I need to set my own challenges to rate myself by.

Though sometimes I like just playing in the sandbox and seeing where it goes. When I do that I'm usually not trying to play the same style each time that's "most efficient", just having fun.

But I find that I haven't been playing it too much recently. Maybe it's time to pick up a DLC or two that will shake up gameplay. (Then play it until tired, pick up another, lather, rise, repeat.)

Zardnaar

Legend
I play Stellaris, but with few DLC. While there are win conditions, it's so sandbox that I sort of feel like I need to set my own challenges to rate myself by.

Though sometimes I like just playing in the sandbox and seeing where it goes. When I do that I'm usually not trying to play the same style each time that's "most efficient", just having fun.

But I find that I haven't been playing it too much recently. Maybe it's time to pick up a DLC or two that will shake up gameplay. (Then play it until tired, pick up another, lather, rise, repeat.)

What DLCs do you have/ Synthetic Dawn and Utopia were really good (Utopia more or less must have IMHO).

I think they fixed robots after Megacorp as the new economy thing made them suck.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
What DLCs do you have/ Synthetic Dawn and Utopia were really good (Utopia more or less must have IMHO).

I think they fixed robots after Megacorp as the new economy thing made them suck.

I don't have either of those. Next sale (I have it thru Steam) I'll pick up Utopia - I was looking at it already. I read the blurb, but what should I be looking forward to?

Nagol

Unimportant
I've shelved it for now. My preferred style is large and populous galaxies with "wide" growth. The current game supports this very poorly.

Zardnaar

Legend
I don't have either of those. Next sale (I have it thru Steam) I'll pick up Utopia - I was looking at it already. I read the blurb, but what should I be looking forward to?

I don't follow the future releases but Utopia is good, Synthetic Dawn was good but kinda broke with latest patch. Not sure if they fixed it.

Distant Stars is decent/cheap.

Last edited:

MarkB

Legend
I enjoy it, but I like the exploration and finding anomalies more than the politics and economic management. Last time I played, I took it to the extreme of having a massive galaxy with only a handful of other empires, and playing a Devouring Swarm.

Nagol

Unimportant
Wide is easy. Or do you mean the micro?

The micro, especially as a synth-ascended or machine empire is extraordinarily annoying. I can handle it until I get to about 100 colonies then I throw in the towel. That generally takes me the first 100 years or so. What is even more annoying, the only tool offered to reduce micro, population controls, burns 25 Influence per colony to activate. So I'd need to spend ~50 years of Influence gain to stop the micro -- assuming no new colonies, megastructure construction, diplomatic actions, war claims, or anything else that consumes Influence.

The game performance, never great, took a nose dive under 2.2 and although the devs have improved it from its worst, it still sucks. I start seeing a slow down within the first hundred years. -- mostly connected to galactic population count.

Last edited:

Zardnaar

Legend
The micro, especially as a synth-ascended or machine empire is extraordinarily annoying. I can handle it until I get to about 100 colonies then I throw in the towel. That generally takes me the first 100 years or so. What is even more annoying, the only tool offered to reduce micro, population controls, burns 25 Influence per colony to activate. So I'd need to spend ~50 years of Influence gain to stop the micro -- assuming no new colonies, megastructure construction, diplomatic actions, war claims, or anything else that consumes Influence.

The game performance, never great, took a nose dive under 2.2 and although the devs have improved it from its worst, it still sucks. I start seeing a slow down within the first hundred years. -- mostly connected to galactic population count.

Ah yeah I tend to get collusus and blow up planets instead.

Remove ads