HeroForge Mini - A sample for your viewing

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Inspired by the thread offering up the HeroForge mini as a prize, I ended up buying one for my current PC, Thera Ferrlaun (my Cleric/Rogue/Wizard).

Here is a screen shot of the model:

Thera-Mold.png

And here is a photo of the mini that arrived this week:

Thera-Mini.png

Overall, the quality is good, but not great. My two disappointments were the weight (it is VERY light, I plan to glue a nickel to the bottom of the base, which is hollow by the way) and the coloring of the primer--it is very light and since I didn't plan to paint it appear to lack contrast.

But, for a custom mini for about $26 US I am pleased overall.

Nice mini!

Not that long ago, the Hero Forge lowest quality minis were even lighter (and $5 less expensive) before they switched from a cheaper white plastic to newer gray stuff.

In both cases, like your nickel idea, I've glued perfectly fit washers into the bottom to give them some heft. Hat-tip to one of the players at our table for that hack.

collin

Explorer
As someone who has several HeroForge minis, I can say, you will definitely want to prime it. I concur with DM Dave1: their current cheapest minis are better material than what they initially started with. They are light, but the more expensive plastic is more brittle than what you have, and I am always concerned about less durability and more breakage from them.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
That's part of it--it is already primed (or should be according to the HeroForge website). I don't have any paints and never painted a mini before and never intended to. I might try it with this one, but would have to buy everything first...

The material is slightly flexible, but I am also used to pewter minis which has some bend to them as well and of course are heavier so have more heft.

Satyrn

First Post
That's part of it--it is already primed (or should be according to the HeroForge website). I don't have any paints and never painted a mini before and never intended to. I might try it with this one, but would have to buy everything first...
As a shortcut, and because I had an itch to paint a couple minis, I picked up the starter set of Nolzur's Marvelous Pigments. The adventurers set with a Minsc and Boo miniature.

It might have actually been seeing the paint in the game store that gave me the itch in the first place.

Painting is really not that tough. There are lots of good blogs and articles, especially if you look at wargaming sites for games like 40K and War Machine etc. You can generally assume 3 colors will be sufficient, though you might want to add a few more for accents.

Keep the paints thin so you don't lose details, and don't feel that everything has to be a different color. Also keep in mind, it's pretty easy to strip the paint and start over in a few months if you don't like what you did.

Try it, it's worth it. (Or, buy a couple of cheap minis from eBay etc and do them.)

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
The nice thing about HeroForge is I can use my demo screenshot and paint it on the computer to try different "schemes" before I paint the actual mini. It would be awesome if HeroForge added a way to paint the minis online, maybe even ordering it that was for a moderate cost.

Richards

Legend
If you do decide to paint it, post another picture of the finished work. I'm sure I'm not the only one who'd like to see it.

I've never tried painting minis myself, but my son's picked it up and done a great job after very little initial practice.

Johnathan

MarkB

Legend
The nice thing about HeroForge is I can use my demo screenshot and paint it on the computer to try different "schemes" before I paint the actual mini. It would be awesome if HeroForge added a way to paint the minis online, maybe even ordering it that was for a moderate cost.

That's a good idea, though they'd have to be very clear about it being only a "serving suggestion", otherwise people might be trying to find the option to buy the colour print.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases