HeroForge Mini - A sample for your viewing

The nice thing about HeroForge is I can use my demo screenshot and paint it on the computer to try different "schemes" before I paint the actual mini. It would be awesome if HeroForge added a way to paint the minis online, maybe even ordering it that was for a moderate cost.
That would be a bad business decision. Custom paint schemes... Do you know how many complaints and attempted returns that would invoke? And if they tried saying no returns how upset that would make people?

No, custom artwork is not something you can do for a "moderate" cost. Not when you have no idea how picky people are going to be. Talk to artists who do digital art on commission and see the trouble they go through. Ugh! Would not wish that on anyone!

ccs

41st lv DM
Here's an idea for you if you don't intend to paint it/paint it right away because you're worried about ruining the detail.

Get yourself a bottle of Citadel shade: Nuln Oil (aka black) or Seraphim Sepia (aka brown) & give the mini a very light single brushing with it. It'll highlight the recesses & show off the detail. Other colors of Citadel shade will do similar, obviously in a different color....
On a grey mini the effect of the Sepia will create a light tan with darker brown recesses & makes for nice weathered marble statues. Also shows up nicely on the table.
And all the major paint companies make shades in case you're opposed to Games Workshop for some reason.

Practice your painting skills on monsters etc from the two WizKids lines (Nozlurs & PF Deep Cuts or whatever they're calling the PF ones).
When you're confident enough then go back & paint your HeroForge. (the shades easy to paint over)

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Yes, water your paint down before application—it's better to have to put on a bunch of thin coats than a single blob coat that obscures detail.

Here's an idea for you if you don't intend to paint it/paint it right away because you're worried about ruining the detail.

Get yourself a bottle of Citadel shade: Nuln Oil (aka black) or Seraphim Sepia (aka brown) & give the mini a very light single brushing with it. It'll highlight the recesses & show off the detail. Other colors of Citadel shade will do similar, obviously in a different color....
On a grey mini the effect of the Sepia will create a light tan with darker brown recesses & makes for nice weathered marble statues. Also shows up nicely on the table.
And all the major paint companies make shades in case you're opposed to Games Workshop for some reason.

Practice your painting skills on monsters etc from the two WizKids lines (Nozlurs & PF Deep Cuts or whatever they're calling the PF ones).
When you're confident enough then go back & paint your HeroForge. (the shades easy to paint over)

Good advice and ideas, thanks!

G

Guest 6801328

That would be a bad business decision.

Oh the fortunes that have been made on ideas that others said would never work.

I would agree that idea has some complexities, but to make a sweeping “that would be a bad business decision” based on one paragraph sentence, without considering the countless ways it could be implemented, seems a bit...hasty.

Last edited by a moderator:

G

Guest 6801328

@dnd4evr even if you don’t paint it, a “wash” would make the details pop.

EDIT: basically what ccs said

collin

Explorer
The material is slightly flexible, but I am also used to pewter minis which has some bend to them as well and of course are heavier so have more heft.

If you have a local game shop, you can probably find someone to paint the mini for you (for a cost, of course). However, as others have said on this thread, you can find lots of tutorials on YouTube to help you out in terms of painting. Reaper and other companies often have starter painter kits with a good smattering of basic colors, plus a figure or 2 to help you get some skills practice.

I hear what you are saying about the pewter vs plastic or resin minis. I am old school: I prefer the old pewter figures to the newer, cheaper plastic ones. They have more heft to them and are less subject to breakage. But of course, they cost more. You can get metal figs from Hero Forge, too, but they are outrageously expensive.

If you do decide to paint it yourself, get a decent primer (spray or brush on), and mount the figure on something to help you hold it. For years I have used the caps from primer (or other) spray cans, and mounted the figure on it using Elmer's orange Tack Removable Adhesive Putty, (not the cheap stuff). Just take about half of a stick from the pack.

Remove ads