"straight" rolls in D&D

I

Immortal Sun

Skipping past some of the potentially great suggestions in the thread, I'll throw in my 2 cents:
1: There is an initial mental save (Wisdom, Int, Cha, whatever) save once the heart is implanted. On a Nat 1, the character becomes LE and an NPC. On anything short of a success the player gains some type of madness associated with in this case, a green dragon. Maybe they become racist towards elves. Maybe they become obsessed with designing traps, puzzles and mazes. This madness cannot be removed without removing the dragon's heart.
2: There is a successive save (of the same type as before) at a given interval, say, one week. If they Nat 1, become evil and become an NPC. If they fail, they gain a new madness.
3 through X: Rinse and repeat this process as many times as you think is appropriate. Three is a minimum I'd go with. 10 at a max, but hey whatever floats your boat. Once they've hit the cap, they become evil and become an NPC.

I'd like to make a note that if a character's heart was destroyed, they are likely dead. So the PC and the player may have very little say in the other party members bringing their character back by shoving a dragon's heart in their chest. If they're doing it willingly to gain power and test the odds, chances are you already have evil players who just aren't flying the evil flag.

For a simpler approach, as others have suggested, you could give the player a Sanity score, with a mental-based save on a daily/weekly/monthly/situational basis, with failure leading them to a slow descent into madness and being dominated by the desires of the dragon's heart.

Remove ads