D&D 3rd Edition / 3.5 Scrying... SRD 3.5 typo?

+ Log in or register to post
    Novice (Lvl 1)

I Defended The Walls!

ř Ignore Allanon

Scrying... SRD 3.5 typo?

Quote Originally Posted by Sovelior 3.5 SRD
    Scrying

Divination (Scrying)

Level: Brd 3, Clr 5, Drd 4, Sor/Wiz 4 Components: V, S, M/DF, F Casting Time: 1 hour Range: See text

Effect Magical sensor

Duration: 1 min./level

Saving Throw: Will negates

Spell Resistance: Yes

You can see and hear some creature, which may be at any distance. If the subject succeeds on a Will save, the scrying attempt simply fails. The difficulty of the save depends on how well you know the subject and what sort of physical connection (if any) you have to that creature. Furthermore, if the subject is on another plane, it gets a +5 bonus on its Will save.

KnowledgeWill Save ModifierNone1+10Secondhand (you have heard of the subject)+5Firsthand (you have met the subject)+0Familiar (you know the subject well)–51 You must have some sort of connection to a creature you have no knowledge of.
    ConnectionWill Save ModifierLikeness or picture–2Possession or garment–4Body part, lock of hair, bit of nail, etc.–10

If the save fails, you can see (but not hear) the subject and the subject’s immediate surroundings (approximately 10 feet in all directions of the subject). If the subject moves, the sensor follows at a speed of up to 150 feet.

As with all divination (scrying) spells, the sensor has your full visual acuity, including any magical effects. In addition, the following spells have a 5% chance per caster level of operating through the sensor: detect chaos, detect evil, detect good, detect law, detect magic, and message.

If the save succeeds, you can’t attempt to scry on that subject again for at least 24 hours.

Arcane Material Component: The eye of a hawk, an eagle, or a roc, plus nitric acid, copper, and zinc.

Wizard, Sorcerer, or Bard Focus: A mirror of finely wrought and highly polished silver costing not less than 1,000 gp. The mirror must be at least 2 feet by 4 feet.

Cleric Focus: A holy water font costing not less than 100 gp.

Druid Focus: A natural pool of water.
    So what's it to be? Can or can one not hear through the scrying sensor when their target fails his will save?
    My player reasons that he can, I just don't know. I ruled that he could as otherwise a good plan would go to waste. But I'm still curious to what the definitive answer could be.
    "They say that when you play a Microsoft CD backwards you can hear demonic voices...but that's nothing - When you play it forwards it installs Windows."

Magsman (Lvl 14)

Forgotten RealmsPlanescapeRokuganD&D

ř Ignore Li Shenron
    I am afraid that the first quote "you can see and hear" is a refuse from 3.0 and instead the second "you can see but not hear" is the correct one, at least it was added specifically by 3.5 IIRC.

On the other hand, Greater Scrying allows Tongues to be cast through it, which may indicate that you can hear, but it could be only because you can use a Message via Scrying.

edit: now that I think about it, I wonder how they included Tongues at all, since you would need to cast it on yourself (which you could be doing also with "lesser" scrying, or otherwise touch the target (which you can't even with greater scrying)...
    Last edited by Li Shenron; Wednesday, 29th October, 2003 at 10:46 AM.
    "There is no survival without order, there is no evolution without chaos."
    "You have to see past the RAW to understand the rules of the game."
    "And rules are OVERRATED by the way!

ř Ignore Taluron
    Scry has been errated/explained/corrected/whatever somewhere, talking about this issue. Matbe in the latest Dragon.
    Strategy: The accumulation of advantages so one may employ tactics against one's opponent.

Tactics: The use of one's advantages to make material gains against one's opponents.

Gallant (Lvl 3)

ř Ignore Mephistopheles
    This was addressed in the 3.5 PHB errata.

"see (but not hear)" should be "see and hear".

Novice (Lvl 1)

I Defended The Walls!

ř Ignore Allanon
    Quote Originally Posted by PHB Errata
    Scrying
    Player's Handbook, page 274
    Descriptive text contradict itself on whether the spell allows hearing as well as vision. Change "If the save fails, you can see (but not hear)" to "If the save fails, you can see and hear"
    Whoops... should have looked a tad bit further than the lenght of my nose... :rolleyes:
    Although they should have updated the SRD as well...
    Last edited by Allanon; Wednesday, 29th October, 2003 at 03:02 PM.
    "They say that when you play a Microsoft CD backwards you can hear demonic voices...but that's nothing - When you play it forwards it installs Windows."

• + Log in or register to post