Battletech

Jemal

Adventurer
You know what I haven't seen on here?

Battletech.

No, I'm not talking about all that variant stuff like that Dungeon magazine's attempt at Mechs, I'm talking good, old-fashioned, honest-to-god battletech. Now, I know that technically it's a wargame, and as such not exactly receptive of the PbP format, but just look at D20 Modern and d&D combat, it's much the same... You have to figure out distance, terrain, and other variables... so why not do the same with BTech?

PLUS there's the fact that I'ld be more inclined to go with a more Role-playery version of BTech than simply "battle 1 over, begin battle 2". I'ld be expecting comradery, competition, diplomacy, etc in addition to the obvious battles.

I've mostly played IRL with the 'citytech' rules, but have come to realize that most of the pages I've seen on the net use either the exact same, or very similar rules systems, so it shouldn't be too hard to get everyone on the same page.

What I'm proposing is the following: The year is 3050, the clans are begining their invasions on the Inner sphere after a few minor setbacks. You are young Clan mechwarriors (or Elementals) On the way up, ready to lead the assault to reunify the inner sphere and restore the Star League.

I'll provide more details after I find out if there's interest in a role Play of the Clan invasion of the inner sphere.

So would anybody be interested in trying out a game of Battletech? (For those who're wondering about the rules, it's actually fairly simple, and I found a site recently that has a quick-start rules guide PDF, once I find it again I'll post the address, and I can provide answers to any questsions.)

Douane

First Post
Looks at the 2m of shelf place his BT gaming materials take, considers his monthly Mechwarrior campaign running now for eleven years and comes to the conclusion: Nah, no interest at all! ;)

Seriously, I would be really interested and should have no problem with the rules. :)

Folkert

Last edited:

Oooooooh, mecha....I'm ALWAYS up for a good game with any kind of mechs. :)

Been a long time since I did anything with Battletech, so I'd need a bit more briefing on background/etc, but I definatly am interested.

garyh

First Post
I used to play in a cool MechWarrior campaign in college (I ran a scion of House Marik who was hiding his part to make it on his own). I might be interested, but have none of the books.

doghead

thotd
I'ld be expecting comradery, competition, diplomacy, etc in addition to the obvious battles.

Sounds perfect. I haven't played the RPG but spent a *few* hours with the computer game. I never did complete the quest, I spent most of my time building my fortune and recruiting the best pilots in known space. I really shouldn't cos I'm a little stretched as it is (all of my games have gone "hot", yeah!). But I'd love to get back into a Locust again.

Humm. Put me down as a backup?

neoweasel

First Post
Wow. I haven't played a game of BattleTech in *coughcoughadecadecough* If I could hunt down all my old books (either an hour away at my sister's or nine hours away at my parents') I'd definately be interested.

tenkar

Old School Blogger
Ah heck, I jumped on this game when it was still called Battledroids and the droids were glossy paper... tempting... oh so tempting... must not overheat ;)

Jemal

Adventurer
Wow, looks like I've actually got interest! OK, anyways, here's a couple helpful websites:

http://www.classicbattletech.com - Has a Quickstart guide, but there's stuff missing from it (Like Criticals, but none of you have to worry about that, I'll be taking care of it). It's got all the basics, but if anyone knows where I can find a better online guide for people who don't have, Pls link it.

http://members.aol.com/fnoor/bos.html - The Battletech Online Sourcebook, has MechWorks on it, which Is what we'll be making the Mechs with.

Also I'm going to be posting some of the charts I think will be useful to you guys, but for the most part the only person who'll need to worry about most of the charts is me.

NOW, I'm going to be running it as 3050 technology and you guys will be playing the part of a Sibkho of Trueborn warriors of the Wolf Clan. All but one of you will start at Mechwarrior rank, which is lowest on the Clan rank ladder for Mechpilots, and have a single Mech to themselves. All of you will vote on one player to be your groups commander, and he/she will have a rank of StarCommander.

I'll have 5 PCs acting as 1 star of Mechs. If we wind up having more than 5 people actually playing, There will be 5 MechWarriors, and the rest can be Elementals/Infantry, or they can suggest/request something else.

Your Star can total up to 300 Tonnes, with 1 mech of 70-80 Tonnes being the largest, and none less than 30 tonnes.

I'ld like a bio from each of you on your character.. all of you should be between the ages of 18 and 21. Name, Personality, Appearance, and a brief history are all you need for the bio. None of you are blooded warriors, so you all have the same last name: Wolf.
I'ld also like to know right away who is going to be playing for sure..

So far I've got Douanne and Anhk as for sure; GaryH, Neoweasel, and Tenkar as maybes, and Doghead as a back-up.

BTW, If there's anything that's not clear, pls ask.

Douane

First Post
Jemal said:
NOW, I'm going to be running it as 3050 technology and you guys will be playing the part of a Sibkho of Trueborn warriors of the Wolf Clan. All but one of you will start at Mechwarrior rank, which is lowest on the Clan rank ladder for Mechpilots, and have a single Mech to themselves. All of you will vote on one player to be your groups commander, and he/she will have a rank of StarCommander.

NEG!

As one born into the Warrior caste of Kerensky's own clan I demand a Trial of Refusal. Faithful to our Remembrance I challenge the decision to deny me a proper Trial of Position to determine my rank within Clan Wolf's touman.

[:D;)]

Last edited:

Remove ads