[Magazines] Dungeon or Dragon?

Halivar

First Post
I've been avoiding picking up D&D periodicals and staying mostly to stuff I know everybody is going to have. However, it seems as if more and more games rely on material from either Dungeon or Dragon magazine. In order to stay in the know, I'd like to start collecting some of the same periodicals everyone else is getting.

Problem is, I have limited fundage and would probably only be able to get one of the two. The question is this: which one should I start buying, and why? I and my group normally play just straight D&D, but I enjoy reading about other systems, too.

Halivar said:
I've been avoiding picking up D&D periodicals and staying mostly to stuff I know everybody is going to have. However, it seems as if more and more games rely on material from either Dungeon or Dragon magazine. In order to stay in the know, I'd like to start collecting some of the same periodicals everyone else is getting.

Problem is, I have limited fundage and would probably only be able to get one of the two. The question is this: which one should I start buying, and why? I and my group normally play just straight D&D, but I enjoy reading about other systems, too.
Then buy Dragon. It's got lots of stuff geared toward D&D (feats, prestige classes, alternate classes, spells, monsters). Unless you're looking for adventures to run, in which case you should get Dungeon instead. While you'll enjoy the other stuff (d20 mini games) in Dungeon, ultimately there's a lot more to use in your game from Dragon.

Gizzard

First Post
It depends on whether you are planning on DMing or playing mostly.

Dungeon contains one or two modules every month, along with a smattering of other random stuff like maps or an NPC. It also contains Polyhedron magazine, which I mostly ignore.

Dragon contains lots of prestige classes, new feats, etc etc. They also have a smattering of things like "Ecology of..." or "New Feats for Mind Flayers..." and so on.

Personally, I am planning on moving over to Dungeon once my Dragon sub expires because I can loot the modules for ideas for my game. I've had a lot harder time looting Dragon; it's like a mini-splatbook every month and I dont want to dump new material into my game at that rate. (Especially if it hasn't been playtested as much as the core rules!) It sounds like you might be in the opposite situation though.

Buttercup

Princess of Florin
As others have said, if you're the DM, Dungeon is your magazine.

If you are a player, it's Dragon you want. Don't assume that all the classes, feats, spells and so forth that you find between its covers are balanced, because some of them sure aren't. However, if you don't have a great deal of cash to spend on RPG splatbooks and sourcebooks, Dragon will give you a smattering of the same sorts of things, while keeping you up to date on what's happening with the game.

Of course, reading this board regularly will do the same for you, and it's free. (But you could become a community supporter for less than the cost of either magazine, and get access to some additional features, like search and private messaging.)

NTZ

First Post
I used to subscribe to both magazines and recently let my Dragon sub expire. I just didn't feel like I was getting enough out of it. I have kept my Dungeon subscription and find it entertaining. It's nice to have a lot of adventures handy for ideas.
You mention you would like to read about other systems. Dungeon has a section that details d20 mini-games (the githyanki issue was great).
I also enjoy the Living Greyhawk information you can find in Dugeon every so often. Of course, this is because I play LG.

Ranger REG

Explorer
For Players and DM, start with Dragon.

If you need some adventures to help you, then first try the Wizards' web site before you try Dungeon. Personally, once you're experienced enough as a DM to create your own adventures tailored to your gaming group, you can wean off of it. There is no greater reward than making your own and are enjoyed by your players.

diaglo

Adventurer
Halivar said:
I and my group normally play just straight D&D, but I enjoy reading about other systems, too.

if you play straight D&D, i would say buy neither.

however, since you put the little addendum in....try Dragon. it is more in line with what you want. and as Ranger REG said you can find freebie adventures on the net at WotC or other places.

Dungeon is great because as a DM it saves you time. You don't have to do a lot of homework to prepare for your next game. You just need to read up on the adventure of your choice, make a few notes and you're ready to go. No lengthy campaign-world designing and adventure planning.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases