[Magazines] Dungeon or Dragon?

d12

First Post
My gaming group has gotten a lot of mileage out of my subscription to Dungeon. I've got aboout a 15 issues and we've probably played about 1.0-1.2 adventures out of each of them on average. Since I am both a DM and player, I don't read every single issue - I give some to the other DMs. There are a few "blah" issues but also a lot of great ones. If you are DM with no time to write OR your DM has no time to write, subscribe to Dungeon.

Deamoclese

First Post
I had a subscription to dragon for 1 year - I let it expire. AS a DM, I found it's material limited... a lot of it was good, but I found it too troublesome to constantly keep implemementing new material... a lot also didn't seem to fit at all into any of my games.

Dungeon, however, I have subscribed to for 2 years and plan to do so for many years to come... the adventures inside are extremely helpful, even for inspiration for my own adventures. The maps and stories themselves have been of solid quality... as a DM, I find it a very useful publication.

Jaws

First Post
I suggest pick up a issue of both. Don't get a subscription until you actually read an issue. I plan to let my subscriptions run out as I find not every issue is to my liking. This also gives me a reason to visit my FLGS.

Peace and smiles :)

j.

Arnwyn

First Post
Dungeon, because I am tremendously biased.

As another poster mentioned (and many others alluded to), Dragon is simply a monthly splatbook - you can get anything like it (often with more detail and maybe even more support) in a myriad of 3rd party (and even future WotC) products.

Getting a couple of adventures every month, though, is priceless if you're an overworked DM with a career and a life.

jester47

First Post
At this point I find Dungeon to be a more superior magazine. Just better done. Dragon is catching up though. They are starting to get a little more useful but I think the prestige-template-race things need to go. They need to stop trying to be so darned original and put out stuff peopole can really use more than once. Monte cook and Bastion are the kings of left field, and Dragon needs to leave them to it.

Aaron

Gizzard

First Post
Tangent:

If you need some adventures to help you, then first try the Wizards' web site before you try Dungeon.

I tried the Wizards site myself, but I wasn't impressed with the quality of the adventures there. I did run the one called "Into the Frozen Wastes" after reading and discarding about 6 others. It was fun, though obviously created to hype the MM2 (hey, look, every monster is from the MM2! What are the odds of that happening. ;-). Still, a 1-in-6 success rate is not good enough for me to recommend the website.

So, while I can't disagree with the idea of checking the website (since its free!) I wouldn't get my hopes too high.

Tangent Tangent:

This all makes me wonder how the money compares for doing work on the web v. selling your stuff to a magazine. Is the web second-tier, or are they about the same?

Remove ads