Player problem...

hunter1828

Butte Hole Surfer
My current group consists of me as DM and three players.

One player seems to have a problem committing to a time to play, canceling frequently on the spur of the moment or wanting us to switch dates. Three of us are currently accomadating one person and it sucks.

I don't want to lose another player (I've lost two; one moved, the other was taking things too seriously and needed a break) because I don't live in an area where D&D players are common...

We're already going to tell him we are playing every other Saturday from now on. If he can't make it, tough.

so...any other suggestions?

hunter1828

bloodymage

House Ruler
Yeah. Maybe not a good one, but...I'm a hardass, what can I say?

Keep doin' what you're doin' and the next time you accomodate him, kill his character. Make sure you don't kill his PC when he's a team player. After a few deaths, if he's got any sense, he'll figure out what's going on. Then, he'll either quietly change his ways or quit in a huff. :eek:

Sirius_Black

First Post
hunter1828 said:
We're already going to tell him we are playing every other Saturday from now on. If he can't make it, tough.

hunter1828

That's the path I'd take. Sounds like you've been more than a little patient with this individual.

hunter1828

Butte Hole Surfer
I know he's interested becasue he's alwasy calling or coming over at random times with ideas...good ideas...he just can't commit to playing very often...

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
hunter1828 said:
We're already going to tell him...

Have you asked him what the problem is? Quite often a problem like this can be resolved more equitably by being direct. Even if he winds up not having a good excuse, it makes you and the rest of the group not feel so bad just for trying.

Further, if he can be kept as a friend and eventually works out what is wrong, you might like to have him back in the group...on your terms, of course.

Taking action against a player/friend without clearly defining the problem in advance might not be unfair, but it can seem unfair and potentially destroy a friendship that could otherwise be salvaged. Take the high road! :)

You might also look for some advice in some of the META links in the DMing Advice thread.

Hope that helps!

Darklone

Yeah, definitely talk to him. Perhaps not in a direct (female) way. Got a similar case once, we had a lot of trouble, he was always late, leaving early, not coming at all... the trouble broke the group up.

It wasn't that he didn't enjoy gaming, he just had a lot to do with work and other friends and didn't see us that often and summa summarum: He had problems to organise his life.

This causes him to be unreliable and annoying... but hey. I got a good share of that problem myself, so we had a talk about it and will see whether we will manage to get along somehow WITH the problem.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
hunter1828 said:

hunter1828

I think that's the way to do it. Tell him that you and the other 2 players can't make the schedule contingent on him. Then plan and balance your encounters for 2 PCs with some marginal notes for what to add when he actually shows up to challenge a 3 PC party. If he starts being more regular, make your default plans for 3 PCs, with notes on how you'd step things down for a smaller group.

Since CRs are set up for 4 PC parties, allow the 2 regular players to have cohorts without having the Leadership feat. That should make balancing encounters a little easier for you even if it means they're running their own character and directing an NPC.

Kid Charlemagne

I am the Very Model of a Modern Moderator
How complex of a PC does he have? If it isn't too tough to run his PC as an NPC, consider doing it that way.

I'm all for the direct approach. Just ask why he can't make it so often. Either actually playing isn't a high priority, kind of his social fall-back position, or he has other important things that sometimes interfere with gaming - work, school projects, etc.

If he's a worthwile player otherwise, try to be accomodating. And don't do the passive-aggressive things and kill his character when he's not there. It's much braver just to tell him he's not welcome anymore.

MerakSpielman

First Post
Go ahead and set a firm schedule. If he wants to play, he'll schedule other stuff around it. Part of being an adult is learning how to organize your life. It sucks, but it's true.

Leopold

NKL4LYFE
1. Start using NPC's

2. Commit to a schedule that all parties are applicable to and set a time.

By doing this you can have everyone there at a set time and those that aren't there don't get something bonus, like bonus 100xp or something. If he cancels then you keep on playing. Play regardless. If it becomes a problem then you might want to tell the player not to come back.

I would lose 1 to keep 3 to be honest. I am doing this right now with one of my players, he's got one shot left and then I'll just ask him not to come back.

Remove ads