Was Qui-Gon Flat footed?

Romus

First Post
In the middle of battle Qui-Gon and Darth Maul have to stop fighting when they are seperated by the energy wall.

1. Did they reroll initiative after the wall came down?

2. If so, is the flat footed rule back in effect for the first round? This seems odd because they are both looking at each other waiting to go at it as soon as they can.

How would you handle it?

Another one -- Luke decides he wants to chop the Emperor in half and Vader blocks. At what point did initiative get rolled on that one? Was Luke calling forth his Saber a surprise action and then he and Vader roll initiative to start the round?

How would you handle that?

What about Leia choking Jabba to Death (I'm surprised Lucas didn't cut that :p )

Last edited:

DarkSoldier

First Post
If they did reroll initiative, neither would've been flat-footed, as they were both aware of each other and ready for battle.

I figure Vader had readied an action to block Luke if he went for the sabre.

Leia definitely had the drop on Jabba; nobody could really see, and he was probably more concerned with getting the windows open, the lights back on, and more of his goons out to the battle than worrying about his little captive.

Fredrik Svanberg

First Post
Romus said:
In the middle of battle Qui-Gon and Darth Maul have to stop fighting when they are seperated by the energy wall.

1. Did they reroll initiative after the wall came down?

2. If so, is the flat footed rule back in effect for the first round? This seems odd because they are both looking at each other waiting to go at it as soon as they can.

How would you handle it?

Another one -- Luke decides he wants to chop the Emperor in half and Vader blocks. At what point did initiative get rolled on that one? Was Luke calling forth his Saber a surprise action and then he and Vader roll initiative to start the round?

How would you handle that?

What about Leia choking Jabba to Death (I'm surprised Lucas didn't cut that :p )

1: Depends. If the DM for some reason decides that the fight is over when the wall appears, and a new fight starts when it disappears, then yes, but I would think they rerolled initiative when the wall disappeared and not when it appeared.

2: I guess whoever lost initiative would be flat-footed, as usual.

For the other scenario, Vader has obviously readied an action to block Luke if he attacks the Emperor. Luke attacks as his surprise action, but Vader's action is triggered so he blocks. Then initiative is rolled. There's also a possibility that Vader has some kind of class feature or special power which makes him immune to surprise, so when Luke declares an attack they both roll initiative and Vader just happens to win. Another option might be that Vader has a Bodyguard-like class and is guarding the Emperor. Then his block could simply be the visual effect of the extra AC he grants the Emperor.

Tsyr

Explorer
The local custom regarding the energy wall (And similar situations... Such as when an enemy goes invisible but is still circling around waiting for an opening), is that you don't have to re-roll inititive if you don't consider the fight "over", excepting certain circumstances... As long as you are still "on guard" and "expecting an attack", or "preparing to strike", you are don't need to re-roll initiative.

d4

First Post
DarkSoldier said:
If they did reroll initiative, neither would've been flat-footed, as they were both aware of each other and ready for battle.
that's not strictly true. you are considered flat-footed "before your first regular turn in the initiative order." this is irrespective of surprise or combat readiness. even if you're not surprised and are aware of your opponents, you are considered flat-footed until you come up in the initiative order.

so if the GM forced them to reroll initiative at that point, whoever lost initiative would be flat-footed for his opponent's first attack.

Romus

First Post
d4 said:
that's not strictly true. you are considered flat-footed "before your first regular turn in the initiative order." this is irrespective of surprise or combat readiness. even if you're not surprised and are aware of your opponents, you are considered flat-footed until you come up in the initiative order.

so if the GM forced them to reroll initiative at that point, whoever lost initiative would be flat-footed for his opponent's first attack.

That's what i thought... but it seems like an odd situiation to be Flat Footed. So would you make a re-roll at that time or just continue the initiative they had and they are jsut spending their actions on rest/healing or intimidation?

DarkSoldier

First Post
Romus said:
That's what i thought... but it seems like an odd situiation to be Flat Footed. So would you make a re-roll at that time or just continue the initiative they had and they are jsut spending their actions on rest/healing or intimidation?
The combat never ended; there was just a pause because the combatants couldn't reach each other. Qui-Gon probably took that free round to use Heal Self.

d4

First Post
i wouldn't have them reroll initiative. as others have said, the combat hadn't "ended."

if Darth Maul had disappeared from sight completely, only to come back a few minutes later, then they'd need to reroll initiative.

Dalenthas

First Post
(Psi)SeveredHead said:
He blocked? There are blocking rules in Star Wars? Where? Seriously, I'll have to steal those rules for DnD, D20 Modern, whatever else I may be running.

The Jedi class has a Lightsaber Defense thing that you can extend to someone within 2meters, IIRC.

Remove ads