Fantasy Movies in Development...

nikolai

First Post
A USA today article on Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter doing for fantasy what Gladiator did for historical epics. Children's stuff dominates.

http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/news/2004-01-20-fantasy-films-main_x.htm

• Chronicles of Narnia: Can't really stand. I never liked it as a child, and I like it even less now.
  • A Series of Unfortunate Events: Haven't read, Is this fantasy? I hear it's very dark and bleak Victoriana though.
  • Artemis Fowl: Haven't read. Doesn't look very interesting.
  • The Lost Years of Merlin: Haven't read. Though I don't hold out much hope for wizard coming-of-age stories.
  • His Dark Materials: I think the books are seriously over-rated. Of all the chidren's books, this holds out the most interest thouogh. It'd be worth seeing just to see Milton and Blake inspired visuals on the big screen. Another big plus is Tom Stoppard's doing the scripts; though he's wasted on something like this.
  • Eragon: I'd like opinions from those who have read this (isn't the book club doing it soon?). From what I hear in reviews it's cliched trash.
  • The Hobbit: Is a possibility... It isn't Lord of the Rings, and it'll be interesting to see how they handle the differences in style and travel-log aspects it it's done. Film making questions aside; I'd kill to see Smaug, the trolls, spiders and goblins.
  • Elric: Done properly this will rock. This could be absolutely amazing.

Last edited:

Macbeth

First Post
If you're really interested in more info on these movies, I would recommend the ENWorld Sci-Fi/Fantasy page, which collects stories from all around the net. I can't recall any stories directly about these movies, but if there is any news about them, your likely to find it on EN Sci-fi/Fantasy.

Ranger REG

Explorer
Well, Chronicles of Narnia is being filmed in New Zealand. Somehow, it looks like it came full circle for the works of both friends and colleagues, Tolkien and Lewis.

Last edited:

Frostmarrow

First Post
nikolai said:
[*]Artemis Fowl: Haven't read. Doesn't look very interesting.

I've read the first book. It starts off pretty good. Artemis is quite resourceful in his ploys. Artemis is in fact the villain of the tale and that's pretty interesting. Occasionally the book is too childish. For example how dwarfs tunnel. Basically they eat the dirt and what happens next I'll leave for you to imagine.

Still, not bad at all. Like Harry Potter - but for boys.

Tanager

nikolai said:
  • Elric: Done properly this will rock. This could be absolutely amazing.

If done properly. But I wouldn't hold my breath. While LoTR has sold well, and shown that fantasy properties are viable blockbuster fare, I fear that Elric is too dark and angsty for most studios to produce *and* leave the spirit of the source material. I'd be overjoyed if they prove me wrong however.

We should all start pitching our D&D campaigns to Hollywood. Mine in particular. I have hot leading ladies, tragic heroism, epic battles, and sex. Lots of sex.

Olive

Explorer
Ranger REG said:
Have they considered a fantasy film that feature a leading female character? And don't say Xena nor Red Sonja.

His Dark AMterials has a female lead. I thought the books were interesting, but i found the writing style irritating. As a moive i'd enjoy it more as long as they leave in the fairly interesting message of it all.

WayneLigon

Adventurer
nikolai said:
Eragon: I'd like opinions from those who have read this (isn't the book club doing it soon?). From what I hear in reviews it's cliched trash.
Bah, the reviews lie. It's great. I was actually thinking it would make a darn good movie.

I have not read any of the others, save for Narnia, and that was some time ago. I have read the first of Pullman's series, and I certainly loved the first book. I think it might take more than a movie to do it justice, though; a mini-series, I would say.

Heck, if you're going to adapt YA fantasy, adapt Wrinkle in Time, or Duane's Young Wizards series.

Remove ads