Experiences growing up a fan of Fantasy, Sci-Fi, Roleplaying games, etc.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Mom forbade us from listening to certain kinds of music, banned movies made from certain studios, and even raided our bathrooms for "Devil toothpaste" (not kidding).
Wow, blast from the past. Wasn't the toothpaste thing something to do with the Proctor & Gamble logo?

[Steps away for quick Google search.]

Ok, wow. I remember when hearing about this thinking it was a weird conspiracy from the "Bible belt." But, no, it comes from my hometown. It was started by an anti-rock crusader from St. Paul, Minnesota: When 1980s Satanic Panic Targeted Procter & Gamble

Zardnaar

Legend
Was the early 90s a low point in mainstream fantasy fandom? Maybe, though it could still be cool to be into vampires, certain comic books, jrpgs annd 40k in certain circles …and the geeky subcultures were always there.

But then things really did change.

At high school things like Raymond E Feist and David Eddings were popular enough that was early 90's.

D&D was kinda geeky when I started playing I didn't hide it nor advertise it.

I did hit my current height back then and could face off rugby players if need be.

I remember some of the younger guys being harassed one ran into me in the hall way after doing it and accidentally fell into the wall somehow.

That was 1994.

Think I went from history, myth and legends (Greek and Roman) to fantasy. Pick a path and choose your own adventure to Fighting Fantasy and Lone Wolf.

Last edited:

Mercurius

Legend
I'm a 70s Gen Xer and my interest in fantasy stemmed from my mother, who read it (and scifi). I started by drawing creatures and reading books like Lloyd Alexander's Prydain series, Ursula K Le Guin, and Tolkien, and even my first attempt at world-building sometime around then. When I was gifted a set of the AD&D hardcovers around 1981-82 from family friends who lost interest for video games, my interest supernova-ed.

But I was never a "nerd" - not in the visible, stereotypical way that was common back then, that you see represented in films from the era. But that was also true of quite a lot of D&D players during the 80s boom. I remember bringing Deities & Demigods to middle school in the early 80s and pouring over it with friends, and never being picked on for it (though I was at a Buddhist private school, so maybe things would have been different at public school).

I think D&D contracted back in the late 80s from mainstream to the nerd ghetto, and remained so through the 90s, though by that point there were "geekdom alliances" formed through crossover interests (e.g. World of Darkness, LARPing, Goth, and theater). My own personal crossovers were fantastical literature, art, and worldbuilding, with RPGs not being a singular interest, but one venue to explore and create fantastical worlds.

As is well-known, there were several cultural streams that de-stigmatized geekdom, especially starting with Harry Potter (1997), which inspired a golden age of middle reader and teen fantasy, then the Lord of the Rings movies (2001-03), Marvel Cinematic Universe (200:cool:, and Game of Thrones HBO series (2011) - as well as several other things in-between. We can add in Stranger Things (2016) as probably being the single biggest inspiration for D&D's current popularity.

Meaning, there was a huge sea change over about 20 years starting in the mid-to-late 90s. But the sense of D&D being "shameful" probably stems back to the ghetto-ization of nerds and geeks, and the general tribalism of middle and high school in the 70s and 80s. It has lingered on in various ways, but is far more muted now than even 20 years ago...at least as far as I can tell.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Wow, blast from the past. Wasn't the toothpaste thing something to do with the Proctor & Gamble logo?

[Steps away for quick Google search.]

Ok, wow. I remember when hearing about this thinking it was a weird conspiracy from the "Bible belt." But, no, it comes from my hometown. It was started by an anti-rock crusader from St. Paul, Minnesota: When 1980s Satanic Panic Targeted Procter & Gamble
I had forgotten about that side-skirmish in the Satanic Panic.

I just had to deal with the controversies over satanism in D&D itself and in metal (and to a lesser extent, New Wave) music. FWIW, most of the concerns directed at me came from Evangelical & Protestant family & friends. My own (Catholic) family asked me a few questions and generally let me be. Heck, I even started a role-playing game club at my Catholic private HS.

Last edited:

Got into F &SF & RPGs during the Satanic Panic, when playing D&D (or anything other than traditional sportsball) made you an instant outcast at school.

I am so glad the geeks inherited the earth as was foretold.

Retreater

Legend
I had forgotten about that side-skirmish in the Satanic Panic.

I just had to deal with the controversies over satanism in D&D itself and in metal (and to a lesser extent, New Wave) music. FWIW, most of the concerns directed at me came from Evangelical & Protestant family & friends. My own (Catholic) family asked me a few questions and generally let me be. Heck, I even started a role-playing game club at my Catholic private HS.
I got it from both sides, growing up in a multi-religion household and communities.

My brother and I got it honestly from our parents. Our mom read Beowulf to us before we could read, and once we could, D'Aulaires' Greek and Norse books were favorites. Our dad was a big genre TV and movie fan - sci-fi and lots of horror movies (I remember being traumatized by watching Poltergeist at age 6). The first movie I can remember seeing in theaters was The Empire Strikes Back, and we would always sit down and watch Star Trek TOS together when it was on, sharing a bag of M&Ms.

Neither one of them would characterize themselves as a nerd or geek, but my brother and I definitely ended up as such.

What is it about 70s-early 80s British television that made it so full of nightmare fuel? I can think of a number of traumatizing Doctor Who episodes I watched, and I couldn't even get past the opening credits of Children of the Stones (stateside as The Third Eye).

I'll see your Poltergeist, and raise you Sapphire and Steel, same age. I still have nightmares. Upstairs and downstairs, upstairs and downstairs ...

Remove ads