Ennies nominations?

Olive

Explorer
given that the judges have just been decided, don't you think they'll need a few months to look at entries before deciding nominees?

EricNoah

Adventurer
It's a long road yet before you see nominations. I'm not even sure the categories have been finalized yet. The judges probably won't start seeing products until maybe May-ish. What they do after the deadline for products (probably in June?) is is start looking over all submitted products and they will discuss amongst themselves until they can agree on the top five in each category. Then we see the nominations and a few weeks after that we get to vote. So we're talking this summer before that happens.

eryndel

Explorer
A question from the somewhat new.
So what qualifies the product to be up for an award? Which time frame are we looking at, is it from January to December or something else?

I wasn't around last year before the Ennies so this is the first I'll see this process here.

Thanks,
Werner

Psion

Adventurer
EricNoah said:
It's a long road yet before you see nominations. I'm not even sure the categories have been finalized yet.

Not yet and I am not looking forward to hammering them out. There are some un-fun issues for us to hash out.

But yeah... holding of breath not advised. Products that haven't even been published until may will be eligible.

EricNoah

Adventurer
eryndel said:
A question from the somewhat new.
So what qualifies the product to be up for an award? Which time frame are we looking at, is it from January to December or something else?

I wasn't around last year before the Ennies so this is the first I'll see this process here.

Thanks,
Werner

Can't remember exactly but it's something like July of last year thru June of this year. The ENnies revolve around GenCon which is in late July or August. Any publisher can submit products to the judges, and only submitted products will be eligible. (So we don't go out hunting for products -- they come to us, in a sense, if they are interested in competing.)

EricNoah

Adventurer
Psion said:
Not yet and I am not looking forward to hammering them out. There are some un-fun issues for us to hash out.

Yeah, it's a strange, delicate dance that's done every year to see where things can be improved over prior years. And the downside is that you literally can't make everyone happy. Some (like me) want to see WOTC in as many of the contests as possible because it makes for a more legit or interesting contest. Others, quite reasonably, feel that WotC's inclusion is unfair because they don't have to follow some of the same rules and they have an unfair advantage due to the size of their company and their amount of resources. And there are many other issues -- what should the categories be, should electronic products compete in the same categories, how should the voting work, yadda yadda yadda. It'll all work out, though there will be folks who feel like they got the shaft...

Remove ads