• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 LotR 3.5 Third Age Campaign Setting

hivemind

First Post
Greetings.

I've been working on a d20 3.5 Lord of the Rings Third Age Campaign, and I've banged up some material for it.

Just thought I'd post it up for perusal and comment. ;)

It's here: http://www.mvgc.net/Rules for Arda.pdf as a .pdf of just the campaign rules.

Here: http://www.mvgc.net/lotrd20.zip as a .zip that includes a monster manual that's 95% complete.

If anyone uses it, I'd really appreciate feedback. I'll check here occasionally, but I'll get feedback faster here: http://64.176.95.134/forum/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=10

Thanks for your consideration.

Last edited:

Turanil

First Post
I got a quick look. It seems very well done. However, I think that the chapter on character classes could be different and better. Okay, you want it no magic to be a purist LotR. Now you also tell this isn't intended for being a hack'n'slash game, but you only leave warrior classes available (even the rogue with its sneak attack isn't far from a warrior class; especially with your improved toughness feat).

Here is my suggestion (it comes from another d20 game, but I forgot which one): convert the d20 modern classes to heroic-fantasy. For the basic classes, it should be easy (pick up the Modern SRD), and you only need to change names (Smart hero becomes Scholar, etc.) and write a short text describing each class (or a long text if you are ambitious). Then, you can afterward pick up on the Internet OGC prestige classes to replace the d20 modern advanced classes (examples of OGC prestige classes can be found in the Netbook of Classes, on the fancc.net website). So you can add several non-magic using prestige classes such as archers, but also barbarian, ranger, paladin, bard prestige classes (made ala unearthed arcana, but without spells if need be).

In doing as I suggest you add originality to the many LotR conversions around; plus gamers will be less annoyed by the fact they cannot play spellcasters.

Personnaly I would be bored considering a DnD game so restrictive about magic, but would be interested in trying it like that.

Last edited:

Turanil

First Post
Okay, me again:

The more I think about it (I did think about it today at work, so I am a pseudo-gamer ;) ), the more I like the idea. If you are interested in it, I am willing to help you devellop it. It's about the character classes.

As I already said it's IMO a bad option to have restricted DnD (as it is to have full DnD) classes in a LotR campaign. The fact is that your proposal restricts players to warrior types (and barbarians or paladins are not very LotR IMO) plus rogue. I understand the no-spellcaster rule (and indeed it could make for a refreshing change after years of DnD...), but only-warriors is not very exciting.

So basically I suggest doing a special set of classes derived from d20 modern concept. For the basic classes, let's get inspiration from DARK LORE:

(Excerpt from Dark Lore review on d20 Review)

The fourth chapter goes into the basic classes. Like d20 Modern each is associated with a single attribute. The classes the books has are the Warrior (Strength), Thief (Dexterity), Outlander (Constitution), Scholar (Intelligence), Devout (Wisdom), and Destined (Charisma). Each class is ten levels in length and have many talent trees as options to them. The classes are very flexible and can be used to create a wide assortment of different concepts. With the free multi classing the flexibility is increased dramatically.

Note that these classes don't cast spells, but are based on different concepts, not just combat. Then, there would be prestige classes directly inspired from LotR / Bilbo the Hobbit:
- Ranger: 10 level class based on no-magic DnD ranger, but maybe try to something more in spirit of Ranger of the North as decribed by Tolkien.
- Knight: for Dol Amroth knights and the like.
- Horserider: for Rohirrims and the like.
- Bearsaker: for Beorning shapechangers; class inspired from AU Totem Warrior - bear.
- Archer: for Legolath-like characters.
- Wood Watcher: for Lothorien elven guardians.
- Burglar: for Bilbo like characters.
- Bard: a non-magical bard, an expert in ancient history and riddles, etc.
- Orcslayer: a class of choice among dwarves! Probably that Gimli got that class during his LotR quest.
- And other that I cannot think of right now.

There is many OGC classes and prestige classes that can be used to ease work and not reinventing the wheel. I have lot of DnD OGC files, that could be put to contribution. However, the real work is to describe these classes (I don't like prestige classes that only propose game mechanics, but no real background descriptions). If you could do it, I would be glad to help you with compiling / editing / etc. the game mechanics. Note that English is not my native language, so it's hard for me to do such kind of literacy (much more than write forum posts!).

So if you are interested, just contact me.
:)

The characters should start in Bree...

Why? It's not necessary to actually follow the heroes on their journey... otherwise everyone will know what's going to happen next.

On another note, Gandalf is a Maia "cloaked in manflesh" which seriously reduces his power. Without his magic he's basically an aasimar.

When it comes to point buy, you usually start with 8 points. Otherwise, you're using a higher point buy :)

I like your version of the Toughness feat, but it will quickly become overpowered if you let it stack.

The level-based bonus to Defense is great, but it's not enough. Not if opponents can walk around with a +5 sword and belt of giant strength. I mention these because I didn't really see anything preventing this from happening ... the belt is still copying a 2nd-level spell effect, after all.

It seems to me you should severely restrict magic items for a LotR setting. D20 Modern, for instance, is perfectly balanced with no magic items at all.

Dumb Luck: I love this feat!

When it comes to the Complete Warrior, you can't use the stuff or even seriously reference it since it's not OGL. Furthermore, the "non-magical" ranger in CW is a joke. How is it non-spellcasting when it gets spell-like abilities? Make your own ranger instead, and that way you won't get in trouble with the SRD.

Elves - Why the secret door bonus? It's never made any sense, nor has it ever been used in LotR.

The fourth chapter goes into the basic classes. Like d20 Modern each is associated with a single attribute. The classes the books has are the Warrior (Strength), Thief (Dexterity), Outlander (Constitution), Scholar (Intelligence), Devout (Wisdom), and Destined (Charisma). Each class is ten levels in length and have many talent trees as options to them. The classes are very flexible and can be used to create a wide assortment of different concepts. With the free multi classing the flexibility is increased dramatically.

Nice, but please let's not call the Dex-based class "Thief". There are a lot of things you can do with Dexterity.

Turanil said:
Then, there would be prestige classes directly inspired from LotR / Bilbo the Hobbit:
- Ranger: 10 level class based on no-magic DnD ranger, but maybe try to something more in spirit of Ranger of the North as decribed by Tolkien.
- Knight: for Dol Amroth knights and the like.
- Horserider: for Rohirrims and the like.

None of these PrCs are necessary.

- Archer: for Legolath-like characters.
- Wood Watcher: for Lothorien elven guardians.
- Burglar: for Bilbo like characters.
- Bard: a non-magical bard, an expert in ancient history and riddles, etc.
- Orcslayer: a class of choice among dwarves! Probably that Gimli got that class during his LotR quest.

Nor are these.

Turanil

First Post
I don't know to whom you say this, but I am right now working on these character classes, and I still need one or two weeks (depending on spare time) and I will have finished. The six basic d20 modern classes turned to heroic fantasy, plus 11 prestige classes, and description of action points, allegiances, strating occupations, etc., in Middle Earth. I will probably post them here, and if I can get comments and imput for improving them, that would be cool.

malladin

Explorer
I suppose I kind of feel obliged to chip in here, for two reasons.

Firstly, I'm the moderator for the ENWorld Middle earth conversion site (http://www.enworld.org/med20/) there's lots of notes on different approaches to a middle earth campaign on teh site, and I'd be glad to put up anything you wanted to contribute. Email me at middle_earth@redmondsonline.org.uk with anything you've got for it.

Secondly, I also happen to be the designer and writer (or at least one of two) of DarkLore. I never actually got to run it, but I did throw together a few ideas for a 4th age campaign set a good few hundred years after the war of the ring based on DarkLore, but it didn't run to classes.

If you want to get some more details, or simply to have a look at the six basic classes you can download the free preview, which includes these six classes, from the following page:
http://www.malladinsgate.com/downloads/previews/DarkLorePreview.zip

Whilst these classes are not necessarily spellcasting classes, three of them can gain spellcasting powers, whether you decide to use that or not. Personally I don't mind a bit of fairly minor divination type magic which gives the knowledge type character a bit more to do.

Another thought on a 3rd age game - magic seems quite prevalent in the power of names (Frodo invokes the names of elven kings and queens on a number of occasions to ward off an enemy). This could work quite nicely with a limited turning power, with different names of legendary characters being able to turn different types of creature (for a 4th age campaign I could use Frodo, Elessar and Gandalf for repelling Orcs and the like) but I would avoid the destroy ability for higher level characters.

Cheerio,

Ben Redmond, Malladin's Gate Press

Wrathamon

Adventurer
Why not just convert Dechipher's Lord of the Rings Game to D20?

I dont think it would be that difficult... could be wrong thou

Remove ads