RANT - Appearance and politics at the workplace

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
I have been told to stop send "To all building user" emails as I am a supervisor and my time is too valuable!

How many do I send you may ask?
One (1) a day.​

What is that message you may ask?
A lunch menu for the canteen, which is run by the Commission of the Blind.​

Who asked you may ask?
My bosses boss.​

Why does this make me rant? It was a 32 character email on average, I did before my day started, it is not against the rules and they also asked me to remove myself from the Credit Union Board of Directors for the same reason. This really has nothing to do with my time or my value as an employee, it comes down to how it makes my bosses boss looks and inter-department politics, he is against supported non-job activities taking away time from job activities.

DaveStebbins

First Post
Yeah, office politics makes work much more of a chore than it should be. It's pretty much the same everywhere. I'm very lucky that in almost 15 years with the same company (averaging a boss change each year) I've only had one boss who was only out to make himself look better and one other who didn't want to do anything that would draw attention to the department.

Hang in there. People at the level of your boss' boss tend to shuffle positions around fairly regularly. Hopefully the next one will be better.

-Dave

DaveStebbins said:
I'm very lucky that in almost 15 years with the same company (averaging a boss change each year) I've only had one boss who was only out to make himself look better and one other who didn't want to do anything that would draw attention to the department.
  1. Where do you work? and
  2. Can I drop off a resume? :eek: ;)

Last edited:

DaveStebbins

First Post
Joshua Dyal said:
  1. Where do you work? and
  2. Can I drop off a resume? :eek: ;)
http://www.lord.com

Of course, we're a fairly small company (less than 2,500 employees) and all those boss changes don't mean I've had that many bosses. One guy has been my boss three times and another two guys twice. One of my old bosses has retired and two were let go. Only three so far have been younger than me, though a cuple of years ago I was younger than both my boss and my boss' boss.

The majority of the company's locations are in northwest PA, though the headquarters moved to Cary, NC (the Research Triangle area) a half-dozen years ago or so. I'm pretty sure we're hiring in several locations.

But really, I don't think we're any different than anywhere else. Maybe I'm just more laid back about such things. When I see people playing politics, it doesn't make me angry, it just makes me laugh. I'm far enough away from those levels that they just look silly to me.

-Dave

Remove ads