To multi-class or not

SemperJase

First Post
My group is starting a new campaign on Sunday.
I've been thinking about multi-classing. The problem is that I'm not convinced a multi-class character can really hold his own.

Say a Sor5/Ftr5 is fighting a 10th level Fighter. The multiclass fighter would'nt be a match for the single class fighter in melee, and the multi's spells would have a difficult time overcoming the single class' higher saving throws.

What do you think?

Sledge

First Post
I think for roleplaying multiclassing does always win out, but other wise there is a lack. That Sor5/Ftr5 is really only on par with an 8th level fighter. This isn't to say it's impossible however. After all that multi could easily have fireball, levitate and true strike. How does the single class fighter compete with that?

hong

WotC's bitch
Sledge said:
I think for roleplaying multiclassing does always win out, but other wise there is a lack. That Sor5/Ftr5 is really only on par with an 8th level fighter. This isn't to say it's impossible however. After all that multi could easily have fireball, levitate and true strike. How does the single class fighter compete with that?
Sor5 does not have fireball. A sor6 does, but only 3 of them, for 6d6 damage (save for half). A 12th level fighter worth his salt should be able to take that, then either shoot the sor6/ftr6 out of the air, or activate winged boots and hack him out of the air.

In answer to the more general question, multiclassing non-spellcaster classes (ftr, barb, rogue, maybe ranger) usually works very well. What you miss out in terms of one class's abilities, you get back from the other class, and front-loading often means you get back quite a bit. Multiclassing spellcasters, however, is trickier.

Will

First Post
I think multiclassing spellcasters either requires a decent PrC (like eldritch knight), or to use the spellcasting in a primarily defensive/buffing/toolchest manner.

A ftr/sor with truestrike, for example. Fly... other similar things. Worth also taking Still Spell, for when you really don't want to blow a Somatic componented spell due to Arcane Spell Failure.

JimAde

First Post
One point: The aforementioned 10th level fighter only has a +3 Will save. If the sorcerer has a 16 charisma, his 2nd level enchantment spells have a better than 50% chance of working.

Hideous Laughter time :)

Or even Charm Person. The point is a multi-class character can be more flexible (obviously). Being mediocre is fine as long as you play to your opponent's weaknesses.

milotha

First Post
Just Say NO to Multiclassing Spellcasters

Just say no to multiclassing as a spell caster in a group where others are NOT multiclassing. You'll end up out gunned by the opponents and outshined by your fellow party members without them even trying to. I know, it's not a competition, but it does get kinda frustrating to be so ineffectual all the time. I've seen this from both sides. The only thing that comes close to saving it are the prestige classes, but many of them take so long to get to that you get outmatched waiting to get into them, and then slowly begin to catch up. Mystic Theurge, Eldritch Knight, Arcane Trickster.

Now, multiclassing as two no caster classes can work very well.

Quirhid

First Post
I think multiclassing should be done with only the same type of characters. A fighter adds valuable feats to a hand-to-hand fighting character. Few levels in barbarian are not too bad for it either not to mension Ranger that has two-weapon fighting benefits.

Otherwise multiclass spellcaster/fighters(<- not the class) aren't really good at anything ecxept for the roleplaying part. It's good to use prestige classes like the eldrich knight in this case. I myself think that multiclassing spellcaster is more a burden to the group than an actual benefit.

Last edited:

Li Shenron

Legend
Also IMXP multiclassing spellcasters together or mixing spellcaster/non-spellcaster levels doesn't work very well.

To make it work a little better, consider to take only a few (up to 2 or 3) levels in one of the classes instead of having half levels in the first and half in the second.

For example, as a Sor8/Ftr2 you would be 1 level of spells late in exchange to weapon proficiencies, +1 BAB and two combat feats (not considering the armor prof, although you may want to exploit at most some light armor); you are still a sorcerer with some minor combat abilities.

Otherwise, as a Ftr8/Sor2 you will have a few spells per day to increase your combat effectiveness, but you'll still have the frontline warrior role, and you'll give up a feat and a +1 BAB.

In general, you are still left with the problem of ASF if you multiclass a typically armored class with an arcane caster, and in fact multiclassing with Cleric or even Druid would be generally easier. You can probably find some ways to reduce ASF via non-core feats and armor enchantments, or you can simply find a compromise and use a lighter armor with a not so high ASF.

Thanee

First Post
The only decent ways to build multiclass spellcasters is to either pick up a prestige class dedicated to this purpose (Arcane Trickster and Eldritch Knight come to mind), or have only very few levels in the non-spellcasting class.

Bye
Thanee

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases