Fishing for Interest - FR/Planescape game

silentspace

First Post
My first thought for Pumbar's cohort was a little mini-Pumbar halfling outrider. That would have been fun, but they would have been very limited in their usefulness. I still liked the idea of having two little halflings darting about with their lances though, which is why I came up with Wembly the druid.

I love Wembly, but druids just aren't very Planescapey. So I'm thinking of switching him for a cleric. I'm picturing a young human female, who will ride on Wigglesnout behind Pumbar. There was an article in Dragon a while back about multiple riders on a mount, and about how they make multple lance attacks when they charge (can't find the issue now though). Anyway that's what I'm thinking. She'll start out as a ranger to keep her a bit nature-oriented and also be able to use martial weapons (lance and bow). I'm thinking Xuxia for a name. A cleric with a lance, riding behind Pumbar and charging with him on Wigglesnout. I'm not sure if Xuxia will have to take the Spirited Charge feat chain or if she'll get the x3 benefit from Pumbar's Spirited Charge without it. If she takes that feat chain, she'll easily qualify for Hospitaler, which fits really well with her concept.

Pumbar and Xuxia will be pretty self-sufficient, and won't be much of a drain on the party's healing or buffing resources. They'll be able to contribute a bit more too, instead of just being meatshields. Xuxia will have very few offensive spells though, it just doesn't fit with how I picture her. For offense she'll focus on her lance.

Not sure on Region/Deity yet. I'm thinking close to Luiren, maybe an exotic from the Old Empires. Possibly Mulhorand, worshipping Hathor, with the Family and Fate domains. Or Chessenta, worshipping Hoar, with the Retribution and Travel domains. I'll need to think about it :)

Any feedback?

I'm thinking about Pumbar a lot! I just love that little guy!

Paxus Asclepius said:
They use Polymorph Self, as do the slightly higher-priced Arms of the Naga (which really ought to use Girallon's Arms; it's closer to the intended effect, and in the same book, for crying out loud!).
Alter Self would be fine, as I can't figure why they used Poly Other, which doesn't exist in 3.5 anyway. However, I will rule that you can't use your claws while you have them on (I realize that you don't have a claw attack as such, anyway). it is a small enough change to the "hands" that I don't believe it will make a big difference.

silentspace said:
Any feedback?

I'm thinking about Pumbar a lot! I just love that little guy!
I love how much detail you have put into the characters! Actually, if you are willing to change, a cleric might be a little more fitting into the storyline I have planned than a druid. I was and still am willing to accept either, however. Go with what seems best. :) Once again, I do like the idea of Xuxia. :)

Okay, looks like we are getting close to starting. Sorry it has taken me so long, but I am now in my new home, I have job interviews lined up, and have arranged most things to my liking. Thanks for all your patience!

After re-looking at the RG thread, we still need:

Keia to post a character
Cannibal Kender to finish posting a brief description/history for Amara
silentspace, you have decided upon Xuxia, correct? :)

You all have done a great job, I have no real issues with any of your characters, and I can't wait to get started with such amazingly talented people! :) :) :) :)

silentspace

First Post
Hi Goddess, maybe my ESP picked up on your thoughts! I agree, plane-hopping druids can get wierd, depending on the planes you're going to. I'm glad you like Xuxia. I know, its not really efficient to keep duplicating abilities like I'm doing - same feats, even some shared class abilities - but it's all about Pumbar, not efficiency! ;) And in the right circumstances, they'll really shine.

Keia

I aim to misbehave
Submitted for your approval (suggestions needed)

Durindal si’ Tempus
Half-Celestial 4 Human Rogue 2 / Sorcerer 1 / Fighter 2 / Paladin 3 / Templar 1 [Outsider]

Alignment: Lawful good
Height: 6’3”
Weight: 215 lbs
Eyes: Blue
Hair: Bald
Skin: Dark tan

STR: 18 [14 base (6 points) + 4 template]
DEX: 18 [14 base (6 points) + 2 template +2 enhancement]
CON: 20 [14 base (6 points) + 4 template +2 enhancement]
INT: 16 [14 base (6 points) + 2 template]
WIS: 18 [14 base (6 points) + 4 template]
CHA: 26 [16 base (10 points) + 4 template +2 level +4 enhancement]

Hit Dice: 2d6 +1d4 + 6d10 + 45 [6 + 2 + 30 + 45]
HP: 83
AC: 24 [+4 Dex, +7 Armor, +1 Natural +2 Deflection] flatfooted [20], Touch [16]
Initiative: +8 [+8 Dex +4 Improved Initiative]
BAB: +7
Melee: +11
Ranged: +11
Speed: Land 30’ [30’ base]
Speed: Air 60’ Flying, Good maneuverability [Wings due to half-celestial]

FORT: +23 (+8 base + 5 Con + 8 grace + 2 resistance)
REFL: +18 (+4 base + 4 Dex + 8 grace + 2 resistance)
WILL: +19 (+5 base + 4 Wis + 8 grace + 2 resistance)

Save Conditionals: Acid, Cold, Electricity and Disease Immunity, Evasion, Mettle, +4 vs. Poison, +2 vs. Poison, Spells and Spell-like effects [Belt of Dwarvenkind]

Spiked Chain +14 [+11 Melee, +1 Weapon focus, +2 Enhancement]
2d4 +12 piercing damage [+4 Str x 2, +2 Specialization, +2 enhancement] crit 19-20 x2
Composite Longbow +12 [+11 missile +1 Masterwork]

Damage Conditionals: Divine Might +8 Damage, +1d6 sneak attack, Power Attack, Two-Handed Power Strike

Race & Class Abilities: Simple and Martial Weapon Proficiency, Light Medium and Heavy Armor Proficiency, Shield Proficiency, Lowlight Vision, Darkvision 60’ [Belt of Dwarvenkind], Stonecunning, +4 to charisma checks vs. dwarves +2 vs. Halflings and gnomes, –2 to all others, Sneak attack +1d6, Evasion, Detect Evil, divine grace, lay on hands [24 hit points], Divine health, Aura of courage [Immune to fear], Smite evil [+8 to hit, +3 damage], Remove disease 1/week, Turn Undead [11 times/day as 2nd level cleric], Summon familiar, Mettle [from Templar],

Spells:
As Half-Celestial [at 9th level caster ability]
Daylight [at will], Protection from evil 3/day, Bless, Aid, Detect Evil, Cure serious wounds, Neutralize poison, Holy Smite, Remove disease, Dispel evil

As Templar [one 1st lvl spell]
Bless, Cause fear, Command, Divine Favor, Entropic shield, Magic Weapon, Mount, or Shield of Faith.

As Sorcerer [5 cantrips / 5 1st]
Cantrips: Prestidigitation, Detect Magic, Read Magic, Ghost Sounds
1st lvl spells: True Strike, Shield

Feats: Endurance, Exotic Weapon Proficiency – spiked chain, Weapon focus-spiked chain, Improved initiative, power attack, Two-handed power Strike [from Quint. Ftr], Divine Might [from DotF], Combat reflexes. Weapon Specialization [from Templar]

Skills: 102 points
Balance +5 [-1 Armor, +2 Synergy-Tumble]
Bluff +13 [5 ranks]
Climb +7 [4 Ranks, -1 Armor]
Concentration +11 [6 Ranks]
Diplomacy +20 [8 Ranks, +2 Synergy-Sense Motive, +2 Synergy-Bluff]
Disguise +10 [+2 Synergy-Bluff]
Gather Information +13 [5 Ranks]
Handle Animal +10 [2 Ranks]
Heal +3 [1 Ranks]
Hide +8 [4 ranks, -1 Armor]
Innuendo +7 [1 rank, +2 Synergy-bluff, +2 Synergy-Sense Motive]
Intimidate +10 [+2 Synergy-Bluff]
Jump +7 [+2 Synergy-Tumble, -1 Armor]
Knowledge Arcana +5 [2 Ranks]
Knowledge Religion +11 [8 Ranks]
Knowledge War +7 [4 Ranks]
Listen +7 [5 ranks]
Move Silently +8 [4 ranks, -1 Armor]
Read Lips +8 [5 ranks]
Ride +5 [1 Rank]
Search +8 [5 Ranks]
Sense Motive +7 [5 Ranks]
Spellcraft +9 [4 Ranks, +2 Synergy-Use Magic Device]
Spot +12 [5 Ranks, +5 Competence]
Swim +8 [4 Ranks]
Tumble +8 [5 ranks, -1 Armor]
Use Magic Device +13 [5 ranks]

Languages: common, celestial, draconic, dwarven [from Belt of Dwarvenkind], elven

Equipment:
Eyes of the Eagle [1,000gp]
Phylactery of Faithfulness [1,000gp]
Mithral Breastplate +2 [8,350gp]
Vest of Resistance +2 [4,000gp]
+4 Cloak of Charisma [16,000gp]
+2 Keen Spiked Chain [18,325gp]
Ring of Protection +2 [8,000gp]
Belt of Dwarvenkind [14,900gp]
Boots of Speed [8,000gp]
Quiver of Ehlonna w/80 arrows [1,804gp]
MW Mighty +4 Composite Longbow [800gp]
Wand of CLW (50 charges) [750gp]
Brooch of Shielding [1,500gp]
Pearl of Power (1st lvl) [1,000gp]
Daggers (3) [6gp]
Net [20gp]
Scimitar [15 gp]
Heavy mace [12 gp]
Ranseur [10 gp]
Tanglefoot bags (4) [200gp]
Scroll (See Invisibility) x2 [300gp]
Wooden holy symbol [1 gp]
Hemp rope (50ft.) [1 gp]
Flint and steel [1 gp]
Explorer’s Outfit [0 gp]

GP remaining: 9 gp

Background:
Durindal bounced around in his youth and learned the ways of the street. As an orphan, he grew up the hard way and learned the ways of the street-rat or rogue. Somehow, though, he never fell to stealing or hood-winking others. Muscle, observations, and charm were his ways. This charm lead to the discovery of hidden power by a sorcerer within the thieves guild. Durindal learned a little of the trade and probably could have been an amazing sorcerer had he keep to it.

Fortunately or unfortunately, the clerics of the god of war found him and claimed him as their own. They discovered that he was the off-spring of an angel of the god of war and a human female. They helped to bring out this talents and upon adulthood, Durindal sprouted a pair of wings. The clerics took this as a sign of favor and taught him in the ways of the warrior. Durindal climbed the ranks of the church hierarchy, becoming a paladin and finally a templar recently.

Last edited:

Keia

I aim to misbehave
Fallen,

Durindal was thrown together rather quickly and I haven't had a chance to run all of the numbers (particularly the gold spent). I had built several psionic characters (2 psions, a psi warrior and a wilder), none of which I was particularly pleased with by the time I was finished. I tried a Rogue/ invisible Blade githzerai which looked okay, but, again, I had some trouble with.

This is my character, (named from the great swordsman in the Dave Duncan books), and should complement the group better than the ones I built previously.

Suggestions/Corrections are welcomed!!
Keia

Paxus Asclepius

First Post
Heh. Just one note: the swordsman of the novels is named after the famous sword wielded by Roland, a knight of Charlemagne. According to legend:
The sword of Roland, fabled to have once belonged to Hector, and which, like the horn, Roland won from the giant Jutmundus. It had in its hilt a thread from the cloak of the Virgin Mary, a tooth of St. Peter, a hair of St. Denys, and a drop of St. Basil's blood. Legend has it that Roland, mortally wounded at Roncesvalles, strove to break Durandal on a rock to prevent it falling in the hands of the Saracens. The sword, however, was unbreakable so he hurled it into a poisoned stream, where it remains for ever.

Remove ads