Demons/daemons/devils, New/Converted

Pants

First Post
demiurge1138 said:
Yeah, I'd add a line about how the abyssal curse counts as a poison for the purposes of racial bonuses and immunities. But if you didn't, it'd keep those pesky balors in line...

Demiurge out.
But then again, so do it's other abilities. ;)

I'm changing it to a poison.

Pants

First Post
Another update

Sepulchrave should like this one. ;)

He's big, he's mean, he makes balors wet their beds, and he can bite off your head. He's the Klurichir... *cough* I mean the Klaruchar. ;)

KLARUCHAR
Huge Outsider (Chaotic, Evil, Extraplanar, Tanar’ri)
Hit Dice: 25d8+312 (420 hp)
Initiative: +12
Speed: 50 ft. (10 squares), fly 100 ft. (good)
Armor Class: 44 (-2 size, +9 Dex, +27 natural), touch 17, flat-footed 35
Base Attack/Grapple: +25/+47
Attack: Claw +37 melee (2d6+14/19-20) or spike volley +31 ranged (3d4+14 plus poison)
Full Attack: 4 claws +37 melee (2d6+14/19-20) and bite +35 melee (2d8+7) and pincers +35 melee (1d8+7) or 4 spike volleys +31 ranged (3d4+14 plus poison)
Space/Reach: 15 ft./15 ft.
Special Attacks: Fear aura, improved grab, poison, spell-like abilities, spikes, summon tanar’ri, vorpal bite
Special Qualities: Damage reduction 15/cold iron and epic and good, darkvision 60 ft., immunity to electricity and poison, resistance to acid 10, and cold 10, and fire 10, scent, spell resistance 33, telepathy 100 ft., true seeing
Saves: Fort +27, Ref +23, Will +23
Abilities: Str 39, Dex 29, Con 37, Int 26, Wis 28, Cha 30
Skills: Appraise +36, Bluff +38, Concentration +41, Diplomacy +46, Forgery +36, Intimidate +42, Knowledge (arcana) +36, Knowledge (the planes) +36, Listen +37, Search +36, Sense Motive +37, Spellcraft +40 (+42 checks involving scrolls), Spot +37, Survival +37 (+41 on other planes and when following tracks), Tumble +37, Use Magic Device +38 (+42 checks involving scrolls)
Feats: Cleave, Dire Charge*, Great Cleave, Improved Critical (claw), Improved Initiative, Multiattack, Overwhelming Critical (claw)*, Power Attack, Weapon Focus (claw)
Environment: Infinite Layers of the Abyss
Organization: Solitary, pair, or squad (1 klaruchar, 1 balor, 1-2 mariliths. 1-6 hezrou)
Challenge Rating: 25
Treasure: Double standard
Alignment: Always chaotic evil
Advancement: 26-50 HD (huge); 51-75 HD (gargantuan)

This monstrous creature resembles nothing that you’ve ever seen before. A squarish canine head, ringed with sharp teeth, sits atop a broad torso that bears four heavily muscled arms, each ending in a clawed hand. A pair of crimson, bat-like wings sprouts from its upper back, adding to its strange appearance. Yet the most unsettling thing about this creature is the massive, tooth filled maw sits where the creature’s stomach should be. Two scissor-like pincers sprout from the sides of the maw and seem to quiver with anticipation.

If there is ever something that would give a balor nightmares, it is the klaruchar. The true horrors of the abyss, the terrible klaruchars approach even the demonic lords in power. Fortunately, only 24 are known to exist, however this is not a definite number.
The klaruchars act as a wild card in abyssal politics. They are powerful enough to be above the reproach of both the molydei and the balors and they know this well. They sometimes act as servants for some of the more powerful demon lords (Pazuzu, Graz’zt, and Fraz Urb’Luu), but they despise servitude. Exceptionally powerful klaruchars have often set themselves up as lords of abyssal lairs, endlessly warring with their neighbors until their almost endless lust for power is temporarily sated.
A klaruchar can speak with either its lower mouth or its upper mouth, but it sometimes chooses to speak with both at the same time, resulting in a particularly unnerving effect.
Klaruchars stand 19 feet tall and weigh around 7,000 pounds.

COMBAT
Klaruchars are extremely intelligent foes; however they possess an almost insane bloodlust for battle. They would happily dive into a battle, tearing away at the opposition and happily gorging itself on the flesh of the dead (and sometimes the still living) in an almost erotic ecstasy. That said, against foes they know to be superior, they will use every ability they have available and they won’t shirk away from retreating (although their wrath later will be terrible to behold).
A klaruchar’s natural weapons, as well as any weapons it wields, are treated as chaotic-aligned, epic, and evil-aligned for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction.
Fear Aura (Su): A klaruchar can radiate a 30-foot-radius fear aura as a free action. A creature in the area must succeed on a DC 32 Will save or be affected as though by a fear spell (caster level 24th). A creature that successfully saves cannot be affected again by the same klaruchar’s fear aura for 24 hours. The save DC is Charisma based.
Improved Grab (Ex): To use this ability, the klaruchar must hit a foe at least one size category smaller than it with a pincer attack. It can then attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. If it wins the grapple check, it establishes a hold and it can subject the grappled creature to its vorpal bite ability (see below) and it automatically deals pincer damage to the held creature every round the grapple is maintained.
Additionally, a klaruchar is not considered grappling when it holds a creature with its pincers. It can freely make attacks with its claws, bite, and spikes (but not its pincers) and move normally. It also still threatens squares normally and retains its Dexterity bonus to attacks. However, it suffers a -8 penalty to grapple checks and its vorpal bite if it attacks or moves while grappling a foe.
Poison (Ex): A klaruchar delivers its poison with a successful spike attack. Anyone struck by a klaruchar’s spikes must make a Fort save (DC 35) or take 2d4 points of initial Strength damage. The secondary damage is 1d4 points of permanent Strength drain. The save DC is Constitution based.
Spell-Like Abilities: At will – blasphemy (DC 27), chaos hammer (DC 24), deeper darkness, dispel good (DC 25), dispel law (DC 25), flame strike (DC 25), greater dispel magic, greater teleport (self plus 50 pounds of objects only), prismatic wall (DC 28), unholy aura (DC 28), wall of fire; 3/day – fire storm (DC 27), implosion (DC 29), meteor swarm (DC 29); 1/day – gate, ruin* (DC 30). Caster level 24th. The save DC’s are Charisma based.
Spikes (Ex): As a standard action, a klaruchar can launch a volley of spikes with a range of 90 ft. (no range increment). As a full-attack option, a klaruchar can launch 4 volleys of spikes with the same range. Anyone struck by a klaruchar’s spikes is subject to its poison.
Vorpal Bite (Ex): A klaruchar can make one vorpal bite attack each round against a creature grappled by its pincers. The bite has an attack bonus of +35 and deals 2d8+7 points of damage. It threatens a critical on a natural 20 and deals triple damage. On a successful critical, it bites the held creatures head off and proceeds to happily chew.
Summon Tanar’ri (Sp): Twice per day, a klaruchar can automatically summon 2d8 babau, 1d6 hezrou, 1-4 nalfeshnee, 2 mariliths, or 1 balor. This is the equivalent of a 10th level spell.
True Seeing (Su): Klaruchar have a continuous true seeing ability, as the spell (caster level 24th).
* See Epic Level Handbook

Some notes:
1) This isn't so much a conversion as reimagining of the beast. As it was in the FF, the attack routine didn't make a lick of sense. It has four arms, but it only uses one... Plus that vorpal bite was a pain to make sense of.
2) Those Wizard levels were utterly useless at that level. 10 wizard levels? Woopdedoo, he might as well sit prone for a round.
3) This is the first Epic critter that I've done and I am a firm believer that CR's break down drastically around level 20. I also have no real idea of the amount of power that an epic character can possess, only vague notions. I tried to balance this thing against critters in the ELH, but it's still hard. Thus, if the klaruchar looks too tough/weak for his CR, then he'll need to be modified accordingly.
4) Giving skill points to a creature with a 26 Int and 25 HD sucks
5) I hopefully cleared up a lot of ambiguity with its attack routine. I hope it makes sense (it does to me, but I wrote the damn thing!). If it doesn't, please tell me where the problem is and I'll try to clarify.

Also, when I get done with these critters, I'll be releasing .doc files again.
1) A Revised REVISED Yugoloth .doc containing the new ones
2) A Revised Devil .doc
3) A revised Demon .doc
4) An other .doc with those other critters that just don't fit in. ;)

Comments appreciated.

Last edited:

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
Ooh... shiny...

I agree entirely with you that the FF klurichir's attack routine was weird, to say the least. And the new one looks very nice indeed. Hopefully it stays below the IP lawyer's radar. The CR looks appropriate for "non-epic" epic leveled creatures (ie ones that don't use many ELH rules, such as the solar, great wyrms and the archfiends from BoVD).

And I was going to ask if there would be more docs on the way. Will the "Doc of Misfit Fiends" include the gehreleths?

Demiurge out.

Edit: I think the new abyssal poison entry for the molydeus is a bit awkward. Perhaps you could change the wording of "Anyone bitten by the molydei’s snakehead must succeed at a Fort save (DC 28) or contract a terrible poison that causes the afflicted to slowly transform into a manes over the next 2d4+1 rounds." to Anyone bitten by the molydei’s snakehead must succeed at a Fort save (DC 28) or slowly transform into a manes over the next 2d4+1 rounds."?

Last edited:

Pants

First Post
demiurge1138 said:
And I was going to ask if there would be more docs on the way. Will the "Doc of Misfit Fiends" include the gehreleths?
The Gehreleths have their own .doc at the moment. You can access it here.

I should probably stick that in my sig...

Edit: I think the new abyssal poison entry for the molydeus is a bit awkward. Perhaps you could change the wording of "Anyone bitten by the molydei’s snakehead must succeed at a Fort save (DC 28) or contract a terrible poison that causes the afflicted to slowly transform into a manes over the next 2d4+1 rounds." to Anyone bitten by the molydei’s snakehead must succeed at a Fort save (DC 28) or slowly transform into a manes over the next 2d4+1 rounds."?

Yeah, that does sound quite a bit better.

Last edited:

Hats off, Pants. Keep them coming.

I wasn't sure whether your reinterpretation would place it above or below the balor in terms of CR - arguably the (CR25!? wtf?) 3.0 klurichir is weaker than the 3.5 balor. There's a lot or resistance to having any non-unique demon usurp the balor's supremacy - I'm glad you did, in the end. I'm all about the Abyss being full of things too terrible to contemplate.

I would, in fact, eyeball your Klaruchar at a solid CR 25, maybe even a 26 - obviously, it's hard to call without testing it. The ability to summon 2 balors or 4 mariliths per day, implosion, meteor swarm, gate and ruin spell-like abilities are all awesome. Not to mention the vorpal chomp and DC35 poison, of course. In terms of power, I'd say it's more in the ball-park of the infernal (probably a realistic CR28) than of the balor. I'm confident that it would whack a 25% hole in the resources of a 25th level party.

SR33 would work for a CR25 demon as well - I believe tanar'ri are usually (CR +8).

Edit: a quick look at the skills, and I think you've forgotten epic synergy bonuses for the klaruchar - an additional +2 at 25 ranks. Diplomacy should be +46, Intimidate +42, Spellcraft +40/+42, survival (other planes) +41.

I also notice that by advancement to 27HD, Devastating Critical becomes available - with 4 claws and a DC37 save to resist.

Last edited:

Pants

First Post
Sepulchrave II said:
Hats off, Pants. Keep them coming.
Thank you :)

I wasn't sure whether your reinterpretation would place it above or below the balor in terms of CR - arguably the (CR25!? wtf?) 3.0 klurichir is weaker than the 3.5 balor. There's a lot or resistance to having any non-unique demon usurp the balor's supremacy - I'm glad you did, in the end. I'm all about the Abyss being full of things too terrible to contemplate.
I'm quite glad you like it.
I just wonder if your players will like it as much as you do. ;)

I would, in fact, eyeball your Klaruchar at a solid CR 25, maybe even a 26 - obviously, it's hard to call without testing it. The ability to summon 2 balors or 4 mariliths per day, implosion, meteor swarm, gate and ruin spell-like abilities are all awesome. Not to mention the vorpal chomp and DC35 poison, of course. In terms of power, I'd say it's more in the ball-park of the infernal (probably a realistic CR28) than of the balor. I'm confident that it would whack a 25% hole in the resources of a 25th level party.

Maybe a CR 25 would be better. I'm not sure that he's as tough as an Infernal, but I'd say he's about as a Black Slaad (maybe a little less). His Spell-like Abilities definitely push him to the edge though.
Heh, exactly why CR's at this level are touch-and-go. ;)

Edit: a quick look at the skills, and I think you've forgotten epic synergy bonuses for the klaruchar - an additional +2 at 25 ranks. Diplomacy should be +46, Intimidate +42, Spellcraft +40/+42, survival (other planes) +41.
Whoops, yep I did forget them. Thanks for the heads-up.

I also notice that by advancement to 27HD, Devastating Critical becomes available - with 4 claws and a DC37 save to resist.
Quite nasty indeed :D

Pants

First Post
Another update

PALARTHIE
Medium Outsider (Chaotic, Evil, Extraplanar, Tanar’ri)
Hit Dice: 9d8+54 (94 hp)
Initiative: +7
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares)
Armor Class: 23 (+3 Dex, +10 natural), touch 13, flat-footed 20
Base Attack/Grapple: +9/+14
Attack: Flame blade +15 melee touch (1d8+4) or slam +14 melee (1d6+5 plus 1d8 fire)
Full Attack: Flame blade +15/+10 melee touch (1d8+4) or 2 slams +14 melee (1d6+5 plus 1d8 fire)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Flame blade, spell-like abilities, summon tanar’ri
Special Qualities: Damage reduction 10/good, fiery aura, darkvision 60 ft., immunity to electricity and fire and poison, resistance to acid 10, spell resistance 16, telepathy 100 ft., vulnerability to cold
Saves: Fort +15, Ref +9, Will +9
Abilities: Str 21, Dex 17, Con 21, Int 12, Wis 16, Cha 14
Skills: Balance +17, Bluff +14, Concentration +17, Jump+19, Listen +15, Search +13, Sense Motive +15, Spot +15, Tumble +17
Feats: Dodge, Improved Initiative, Mobility, Weapon Focus (flame blade)
Environment: Infinite Layers of the Abyss
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 8
Advancement: 10-18 HD (medium)

Through the swirling flames, you can barely make out a humanoid form. The flames abate and you see an emaciated, purple skinned humanoid with a pair of bony, vestigial wings sprouting from its back. Its body is entirely hairless and in one, clawed hand it clutches a sword seemingly made of fire. It grins sadistically just as the flames return with even more intensity and it springs to attack.

The palarthie are thought to be a subset of the tanar’ri that once yearned to rule the Abyss as balors. Unfortunately, as the legends claim, they failed some trial by fire and are now punished by burning for eternity.
The palarthie are often used as shock troopers and lackeys for more powerful demons, especially the balors who seem to take some sort of perverse pleasure in ordering them around and humiliating them.
Palarthies stand about 6 and a half feet tall and weigh 180 pounds.

COMBAT
Palarthies are relatively cunning opponents. They usually open combat with a fear effect in order to scatter their weaker foes. They then follow up with either a fireball or a scorching ray against the remaining foes. They then wade into battle with their flame blades, laughing as they burn.
A palarthie’s natural weapons, as well as any weapons it wields, are treated as chaotic-aligned and evil-aligned for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction.
Fiery Aura (Su): A palarthie is constantly surrounded in a vortex of swirling flames. Any creature striking a palarthie with handheld weapons or natural weapons takes 1d8 points of fire damage. Note that weapons with exceptional reach, such as longspears, do not endanger their users in this way. Additionally, a palarthie does fire damage with each successful slam attack.
The palarthie can change the color of its flames depending upon its mood or desire, from a deep, crimson red to a ghostly blue. However, the actual effects of the flames do not change.
Flame Blade (Sp): A palarthie can produce the equivalent of a flame blade spell at will (caster level 9th). The palarthie’s flame blade has no set duration and it can dispel the blade or create the blade as a free action on its turn.
Spell-like Abilities: At will – greater teleport (self plus 50 pounds of objects only), see invisibility; 3/day – dispel magic, scorching ray (2 rays only); 1/day – fear (DC 16), fireball (DC 15). Caster level 9th. The save DC’s are Charisma based.
Summon Tanar’ri (Sp): Once per day, a palarthie can attempt to summon another palarthie with a 45% chance of success. This is the equivalent of a 4th level spell.

Last edited:

Pants

First Post
This one's a new one.

NRATHGAR
Huge Outsider (Chaotic, Evil, Extraplanar)
Hit Dice: 14d8+112 (175 hp)
Initiative: +2
Speed: 40 ft. (8 squares)
Armor Class: 26 (-2 size, +2 Dex, +16 natural), touch 10, flat-footed 24
Base Attack/Grapple: +14/+31
Attack: Claw +22 melee (2d6+10)
Full Attack: 2 claws +22 melee (2d6+10) and 2 bites +22 melee (2d8+10) and tail spike +22 melee (1d6+10 plus 1d8 cold)
Space/Reach: 15 ft./15 ft. (20 ft. with tail slap)
Special Attacks: Crystalline tail, gaze attacks, rend 3d6+15, spell-like abilities, summon elementals
Special Qualities: Damage reduction 10/good, dual mind, darkvision 60 ft., immunity to cold and poison, resistance to acid 10, and electricity 10, spell resistance 25, superior multiattack, vulnerability to fire
Saves: Fort +17, Ref +11, Will +11
Abilities: Str 31, Dex 15, Con 27, Int 14, Wis 14, Cha 16
Skills: Bluff +20, Concentration +25, Hide +11, Intimidate +20, Jump +35, Knowledge (the planes) +10, Listen +19, Move Silently +3, Search +19, Spot +19, Survival +19
Feats: Cleave, Great Cleave, Improved Sunder, Multiattack, Power Attack
Environment: Infinite Layers of the Abyss (Ice Wastes)
Organization: Solitary, pair, or group (2-5)
Challenge Rating: 15
Advancement: 15-28 HD (huge); 29-42 HD (gargantuan)

This towering creature resembles a conglomeration of many other creatures. Two white furred bears’ heads sit atop a massive frame covered in bluish scales. Its long, dangling arms end in wickedly clawed hands. A serpentine tail ending in a crystalline spike sprouts from its lower back and it twitches violently on the ground. Bony ridges run down the creature’s back and small tufts of white hair cover the its scaly body in seemingly random locations.

The nrathgar are immense demons that lurk on the 23rd layer of the Abyss, called the Ice Wastes. There they serve as powerful minions of the demonic lord Kostchtchie; a lord of the unceasing cold and giants.
Nrathgar are bestial demons. They live to fight and tear the flesh from their enemies. Oftentimes, they wander the Ice Wastes in solitude, slaying all that come before them in an unending blood frenzy. Even Kostchtchie has trouble keeping the nrathgar in line and only his power keeps him from being another of their frozen meals.
Nrathgar stand 16 feet tall and weigh approximately 5,000 pounds.

COMBAT
Despite their bestial appearance and temperament, the nrathgar are fairly intelligent and cunning foes. They use their gaze attacks and their spell-like abilities to their fullest effect. They are mostly solitary creatures, but they will fight in packs if a more powerful creature bullies them into it, but they very rarely use intelligent tactics when in a pack.
A nrathgar’s natural weapons, as well as any weapons it wields, are treated as chaotic-aligned and evil-aligned for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction.
Crystalline Tail (Su): The tail of a nrathgar ends in a bluish, crystalline spike. Anyone struck by a nrathgar’s tail spike takes 1d8 points of additional cold damage. On a successful critical hit, the creature struck takes 3d8 points of cold damage.
Dual Mind (Ex): A nrathgar’s two heads make it immune to any Enchantment spells or effects.
Gaze Attacks (Su): A nrathgar’s heads can both produce a different gaze attack. The nrathgar can only use one of its gaze attacks per round.
Left Head: As a free action, a nrathgar can focus the gaze of its left head upon a single opponent within 40 ft. The opponent must make a Will save (DC 20) or become slowed as per the spell (caster level 14th) by a limb-numbing cold. The creature need not meet the gaze of the nrathgar in order to be affected. The save DC is Charisma based.
Right Head: As a free action, a nrathgar can focus the gaze of its right head upon a single opponent within 60 ft. The affected opponent takes 5d6 points of cold damage. A successful Fort save (DC 20) reduces the damage by half. The creature need not meet the gaze of the nrathgar in order to be affected. The save DC is Charisma based.
Both Heads: As a standard action, the nrathgar can focus the gaze of both of its heads upon a single opponent within 30 ft. The affected opponent must make a Will save (DC 22) or become paralyzed for 2d4 rounds. The creature need not meet the gaze of the nrathgar in order to be affected. The save DC is Charisma based and includes a +2 bonus.
Rend (Ex): If a nrathgar hits with both claw attacks, it latches onto the opponent’s body and tears the flesh. This attack automatically deals an additional 3d6+15 points of damage.
Spell-like Abilities: At will – darkness, dispel magic, ice storm, sleet storm, wall of ice; 1/day – cone of cold (DC 18), fear (DC 17). Caster level 10th. The save DC’s are Charisma based.
Summon Elementals (Sp): Once per day, a nrathgar can summon either 2d4 small ice paraelementals, 1d6 medium ice paraelementals, 1d4 large ice paraelementals, or 1 huge ice paraelemental. The elementals that are summoned are always evil. This is the equivalent of a 6th level spell.
Superior Multiattack (Ex): Due to its two heads, a nrathgar takes no penalties on attack rolls and damage when using its secondary attacks.
Skills: The nrathgar’s two heads make it an exceptionally alert creature. It gains a +4 racial bonus on Spot, Search, and Listen checks. They also receive a +4 racial bonus on Hide checks when in snowy conditions.

Last edited:

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
Ooh...
The palarthie is another excellent "IP-free" conversion of 3.0 material into somthing that transcends the original. And I like the polar lesser Demogorgon that is the nrathgar.

Keep up the excellent work.
Demiurge out.

Olive

Explorer
Nice thread man...

explain exactly what you're converting ehre? 3.0 to 3.5 or 2e to 3.5? I did a quick 3.0 to 3.5 conversion fo the red abshai myself if you're interested.

Remove ads