Demons/daemons/devils, New/Converted

Pants

First Post
Olive said:
explain exactly what you're converting ehre? 3.0 to 3.5 or 2e to 3.5?
A bit of both actually.
The Molydeus as never been officially converted to 3rd edition, however many of the critters on the list have already been converted... although often poorly. So I go back and convert them to 3.5... ;)

Olive

Explorer
Pants said:
A bit of both actually.
The Molydeus as never been officially converted to 3rd edition, however many of the critters on the list have already been converted... although often poorly. So I go back and convert them to 3.5... ;)

Yeah but are you converting them 3.0-3.5, or 2-3.5? In general, if you don't liek the 3.0/3.5 conversions. What original souce material are you using?

Pants

First Post
Olive said:
Yeah but are you converting them 3.0-3.5, or 2-3.5?
Both.
The Molydeus and the Guardian Yugoloths have never been 'officially' converted to 3.0 or 3.5, thus I had to use only 2ed material for the conversion.
Others already have (like the abishai, alkilith, chasme), but they need a power boost in order to be equivalent to the 3.5 fiends. Thus its a 3.0-3.5 conversion. Same goes for some of WotC's new fiends.

In general, if you don't liek the 3.0/3.5 conversions. What original souce material are you using?
I try to use as much original source material as I can. I have 3 of the Planescape Monstrous Compendiums on .pdf and I often use those for ideas or conversion notes. I have also used the 3.5 SRD, Monster Manual II, Monster Manual 3.5, Book of Vile Darkness, and the Fiend Folio for conversion 'ideas.' Sometimes, all a fiend needs is to have its stats and Hit Dice upped a bit, other times a complete reworking often is needed for the Fiend to make any sense at all (as in the case of the Klurichir/Klaruchar).

Pants

First Post
On another note, here's another conversion without all the IP junk... ;)

KEREZU
Medium Outsider (Chaotic, Evil, Extraplanar, Tanar’ri)
Hit Dice: 17d8+68 (144 hp)
Initiative: +11
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares)
Armor Class: 37 (+11 Dex, +15 natural, +1 shield), touch 21, flat-footed 26
Base Attack/Grapple: +17/+22
Attack: +3 keen rapier of sharpness +32 melee (1d6+8 15-20/x3 plus poison)
Full Attack: +3 keen rapier of sharpness +30/+25/+20/+15 melee (1d6+8 15-20/x3 plus poison) and +1 silvered wounding dagger +29/+24/+19 melee (1d4+2 19-20/x2 plus poison)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Poison, sneak attack +8d6, spell-like abilities, summon tanar’ri
Special Qualities: Damage reduction 10/cold iron and good, darkvision 60 ft., evasion, immunity to electricity and poison, resistance to acid 10, and cold 10 and fire 10, spell resistance 25, telepathy 100 ft, true seeing, uncanny dodge
Saves: Fort +15, Ref +21, Will +16
Abilities: Str 21, Dex 33, Con 19, Int 22, Wis 22, Cha 24
Skills: Balance +33, Climb +25, Concentration +25, Jump +27, Hide +31, Listen +26, Knowledge (the planes) +26, Move Silently +31, Search +26, Spellcraft +26 (+28 when deciphering scrolls), Spot +26, Survival +26 (+28 on other planes and when following tracks), Tumble +33, Use Magic Device +27 (+29 checks involving scrolls)
Feats: Greater Two-Weapon Fighting, Improved Two-Weapon Fighting, Two-Weapon Fighting, Two-Weapon Defense, Weapon Finesse, Weapon Focus (rapier)
Environment: Infinite Layers of the Abyss
Organization: Solitary, pair
Challenge Rating: 17
Treasure: Standard plus +3 keen rapier of sharpness and +1 silvered wounding dagger
Alignment: Always chaotic evil
Advancement: 18-34 HD (medium)

This creature would seem human at first glance, but closer inspection reveals it to be of a more fiendish nature. Its skin is a dull red color, its hands end in short, claw-like nails, and a pair of small, black horns sprout from its forehead. Its eyes blaze with a fiendish light, and its lips are curved into an arrogant smile.

While the mariliths are the generals of the abyssal armies and the balors are the aristocracy, the kerezu are the assassins. They are most often employed by demon princes and lords to eliminate arrogant upstarts and rivals, but no one really trusts the kerezu. Their loyalty is as fickle as the Abyss itself and some have been known to change sides rather frequently. As such, kerezu are often on the run and they often possess great amounts of information on their employers.
Kerezu stand only 5 feet tall and weigh about 110 pounds.

COMBAT
The kerezu are not the hardiest of the demons and thus, they prefer to strike quick from the darkness before fleeing. Kerezu often go into battle with greater magic weapon cast on both of its weapons, followed by a greater invisibility. They are smart and cunning opponents and they know when to flee when a battle turns against them. However, a kerezu will hunt those who have wounded its immense pride by causing it to flee until either it or its prey is dead. An angry kerezu is a very dangerous opponent.
A kerezu’s natural weapons, as well as any weapons it wields, are treated as chaotic-aligned and evil-aligned for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction.
Evasion (Ex): If exposed to any effect that normally allows a Reflex save for half damage, a kerezu takes no damage on a successful saving throw.
Poison (Ex): A kerezu’s fingertips secrete a dangerous poison that it uses to continually coat its weapons. Those struck by a kerezu’s poison covered blades must succeed at a Fort save (DC 23) or take 1d6 points of Constitution damage. The initial and secondary damage is the same. The poison is highly perishable and becomes inert 1 minute after application. The save DC is Constitution based.
Sneak Attack (Ex): Anytime a kerezu’s target is denied its Dexterity bonus, or when it is flanked by the kerezu, it deals an additional +8d6 points of damage on a successful melee attack. The kerezu flanks as a 15th level rogue.
Spell-Like Abilities: At will – deeper darkness, dimension door, greater dispel magic, greater invisibility (self only), greater magic weapon, greater teleport (self plus 50 pounds of objects only), polymorph (self only); 3/day – mass inflict serious wounds (DC 24); 1/day – blasphemy (DC 24). Caster level 17th. The save DC’s are Charisma based.
Uncanny Dodge (Ex): A kerezu retains its Dexterity bonus even when flat-footed, and it can only be flanked by a 19th level rogue or higher.
Summon Tanar’ri (Sp): Once per day, a kerezu can attempt to summon another kerezu with a 40% chance of success. This is the equivalent of an 8th level spell.
True Seeing (Su): Kerezu have a continuous true seeing ability, as the spell (caster level 17th).

New Melee Weapon Special Quality
Sharpness: A weapon of sharpness has its Critical multiplier increased by 1.5. Thus a longsword of sharpness would deal triple damage on a successful critical hit, while a scythe of sharpness would deal 6 dice of damage on a successful critical hit. This property can only be applied to piercing or slashing weapons.
Moderate transmutation; CL 12th; Craft Magic Arms and Armor, greater magic weapon, keen edge; Price +2 bonus.

Comments?
How does the Sharpness special quality look? Is 1.5 too much?

Last edited:

Pants

First Post
WASTRILITH
Huge Outsider (Chaotic, Evil, Extraplanar)
Hit Dice: 17d8+136 (212 hp)
Initiative: +10
Speed: 20 ft. (4 squares), swim 80 ft.
Armor Class: 29 (-2 size, +6 Dex, +15 natural), touch 14, flat-footed 23
Base Attack/Grapple: +17/+36
Attack: Bite +26 melee (2d8+11)
Full Attack: Bite +26 melee (2d8+11) and 2 claws +24 melee (2d4+5) and tail slap +24 melee (1d12+5 plus stun)
Space/Reach: 15 ft./10 ft.
Special Attacks: Breath weapon, constrict 3d6+16, improved grab, spell-like abilities, summon water creatures
Special Qualities: Break domination, damage reduction 10/cold iron and good, darkvision 60 ft., electrical reflection, immunity to cold and poison and water, resistance to acid 10, spell resistance 27, telepathy 100 ft., vulnerability to fire, water mastery
Saves: Fort +18, Ref +16, Will +15
Abilities: Str 33, Dex 23, Con 27, Int 18, Wis 20, Cha 22
Skills: Bluff +26, Concentration +28, Hide +26, Intimidate +28, Knowledge (geography) +24, Knowledge (the planes) +24, Listen +25, Search +24, Sense Motive +26, Spot +25, Survival +25 (+27 to avoid hazards and when on other planes and when following tracks) , Swim +39*
Feats: Combat Reflexes, Dodge, Improved Initiative, Improved Sunder, Multiattack, Power Attack
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 18
Treasure: Double standard
Advancement: 18-34 HD (huge); 35-52 HD (gargantuan)

This creature possesses a gray, eel-like body with a pair of muscular arms ending in clawed hands. Its large maw is filled with rows of gleaming, wickedly sharp teeth. Sharp barbs run down its slick back, from its head to the end of its tail.

The wastrilith are the Water Lords of the Abyss. They rule deepest depths of the malignant waters that foul the various abyssal layers with their scum and refuse. They are the lords of the deepest, underwater chasms, of fiendish reefs, and dilapidated submerged fortresses.
The wastrilith are loners. They carve out great swaths of territory and war unceasingly with anything that dares to enter. They set up petty underwater fiefdoms and wage wars that none know or care about.
Despite their arrogance and lust for power, dozens of powerful wastrilith serve the lord Demogorgon in the brine seas of Abysm, serving as commanders and lords for the dreadful lord.
Wastrilith measure about 25 feet in length and weigh almost 7,000 pounds.

COMBAT
Wastrilith are hateful opponents. They protect anything they deem as their territory with an almost dreadful rage. Most likely, they summon up reinforcements before wading into battle. If their opponents remain outside of water, they will either flee out of their range and wait or blast away with their spell-like abilities.
Wastrilith eagerly await the day that some foolish mortal wizard attempts to summon them to the prime. There they can attempt to break free and cause some limited mayhem before returning to their homes in the Abyss.
A wastrilith’s natural weapons, as well as any weapons it wields, are treated as chaotic-aligned and evil-aligned for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction.
Break Domination (Su): If the wastrilith is subjected to any charm, domination, the wastrilith can immediately make an opposed Wisdom check against the caster. If it succeeds, it breaks free of the effect. If it beats the caster by more than 5, then the spell is redirected at the caster, who must make a saving throw against the spell’s original DC or be affected by the spell.
For example, a wizard attempts to cast dominate monster on a wastrilith. The wastrilith and the wizard make opposed Wisdom checks. The wastrilith beats the wizard by more than 5 and the wizard must make a saving throw against the spell’s original DC. He fails and is affected as though he had a dominate monster cast on him by the wastrilith.
Breath Weapon (Su): Once every 1d6 rounds, the wastrilith can unleash a 60 ft. cone of boiling water, dealing 8d10 points of damage. Those affected can attempt a Reflex save (DC 26) for half damage. Half the damage is fire damage and the other half is the result of the abyssal power of the wastrilith and is thus not protected by effects that grant fire resistance. The save DC is Constitution based.
Constrict (Ex): A wastrilith deals 3d6+16 points of damage with each successful grapple check.
Electrical Reflection (Su): If the wastrilith is subject to any spell that deals electricity damage, it could potentially reflect it back upon the caster. Any time the wastrilith is subject ranged touch, touch, line, or spell that deals electricity damage, the caster must make a caster level check (DC 23) or the spell reflects back on him and the wastrilith remains unaffected. The DC is Wisdom based.
Improved Grab (Ex): To use this ability, the wastrilith must hit a foe at least one size category smaller than it with a pincer attack. It can then attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. If it wins the grapple check, it establishes a hold and it can constrict.
Spell-like Abilities: At will – control water, deeper darkness, fear (DC 20) greater dispel magic, greater teleport (self plus 50 pounds of objects only), telekinesis (DC 21), unholy blight (DC 20), wall of ice; 3/day – mass suggestion (DC 22); 1/day – blasphemy (DC 23). Caster level 17th. The save DC’s are Charisma based.
Stun (Su): Anyone struck by a wastrilith’s tail slap must succeed at a Fort save (DC 26) or become stunned for one round. The save DC is Constitution based.
Summon Water Creatures (Sp): Three times per day, a wastilith can automatically summon either 1d6 large fiendish sharks, 1d4 fiendish giant octopus, or 1 elder water elemental. This is the equivalent of a 9th level spell.
Water Mastery (Ex): A wastrilith gains a +1 bonus to attack and damage rolls if its opponent is touching the water.
Skills: Wastriliths have a +8 racial bonus on any Swim check to perform some special action or avoid a hazard and can always choose to take 10 on Swim checks, even if rushed or threatened.

Last edited:

Much plunderable stuff here again.

The MMII kelvezu as written definitely needs attention - it's pretty underpowered for a CR18, and yours comes closer to the mark. A few questions regarding your kelvezu:

Did you decide against a scimitar because of the Weapon Finesse thing? (IMC the scimitar is finessable, so it's less of a factor.)

Re. sharpness: I'm wondering whether x1.5 might be a bit clunky for the critical multiplier. Does a x3 weapon become x4 or x4.5? Had you thought about a flat +1 or +2 to the critical multiplier (probably equivalent to a +2 and +4 enhancement bonus respectively). All in all, I like it but feel that integers are probably better. Maybe you could have a sharpness and a greater sharpness enchantment?

I notice that the kerezu has a HD advancement range now - the MMII kelvezu is 'by character class.' Not that one excludes the other - just curious as to your choice.

Good call on the polymorph ability. That was an obvious omission (to me) in the original. And I like true seeing - it always says 'one of the big boys' to me.

I'm also curious as to whether you considered making the Death Attack special ability a feature or not. When I was playing with the kelvezu (trying to justify its CR18), I thought about this.

Pants

First Post
Sepulchrave II said:
Did you decide against a scimitar because of the Weapon Finesse thing? (IMC the scimitar is finessable, so it's less of a factor.)
That's pretty much the reason I went with the rapier in lieu of the scimitar.

Re. sharpness: I'm wondering whether x1.5 might be a bit clunky for the critical multiplier. Does a x3 weapon become x4 or x4.5? Had you thought about a flat +1 or +2 to the critical multiplier (probably equivalent to a +2 and +4 enhancement bonus respectively). All in all, I like it but feel that integers are probably better. Maybe you could have a sharpness and a greater sharpness enchantment?
For some reason I was thinking of the 1.5 strength modifier for using weapons in two-hands when I wrote up the sharpness. I have no idea why, but I thought of changing it to a +1 later.

How does this look for Greater Sharpness?

Greater Sharpness: A weapon of greater sharpness has its Critical multiplier increased by +2. Thus a longsword of greater sharpness would deal x4 damage on a successful critical hit. This property can only be applied to piercing or slashing weapons. Greater Sharpness does not stack with Sharpness.
Moderate transmutation; CL 18th; Craft Magic Arms and Armor, greater magic weapon, keen edge, mordenkainen's sword; Price +5 bonus.

I notice that the kerezu has a HD advancement range now - the MMII kelvezu is 'by character class.' Not that one excludes the other - just curious as to your choice.
My personal belief is that all demons, devils, and daemons should be able to gain power by increasing their HD without having to add class levels. I have no real rational reason behind this, other than a 'just because' reasoning. ;)

I'm also curious as to whether you considered making the Death Attack special ability a feature or not. When I was playing with the kelvezu (trying to justify its CR18), I thought about this.
I thought of it, but I figured that with their slightly lousy HD advancement (read only double their HD), most would progress as Rogues or Assassins to improve their slaying skills.

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
OK, I like the creatures in this last update. But I don't like the greater sharpness enchantment. A +2 to multiplier, whereas the regular sharpness is x1.5? That means that the only difference for a x4 weapon, like a pick or a scythe, is that greater sharpness is much more expensive.

But the kerezu is really cool, and more rouge-y. And the wastrilith is only slightly changed, but they're all good changes, with one exception. Your wastriliths, as far as the entry reads, cannot be summoned by summon monster spells, but the break summons ability still applies to those spells. Maybe it should apply to planar ally or binding spells instead?

Demiurge out.

Pants

First Post
Sharpness will be changed to just a +1. I forgot to change it on my last edit. Silly me.

I changed it for two reasons:
1) As Sep said, 1.5 is needlessly clunky.
2) Having a quality that MULTIPLIES a critical hit multiplier is a potentially bad thing as there are other effects that multiply the critical hit and when they stack together... things can get potentially messy.

As for the wastrilith:
Yes, that would most likely be much better. Initially, I was planning on including a table in the final .docs that listed what outsiders could be summoned via the various Summon Monster spells. I'll most likely include an addendum to that so that the Wastrilith can use it against planar ally and binding spells, but I'm really tired right now.

Pants

First Post
HERGARU
Large Outsider (Chaotic, Evil, Extraplanar)
Hit Dice: 12d8+84 (138 hp)
Initiative: +7
Speed: 50 ft. (10 squares)
Armor Class: 27 (-1 size, +3 Dex, +15 natural), touch 12, flat-footed 24
Base Attack/Grapple: +12/+23
Attack: Bite +19 melee (2d8+7 19-20/x2)
Full Attack: Bite +19 melee (2d8+7 19-20/x2) and 2 claws +16 melee (1d8+3)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./10 ft.
Special Attacks: Fear aura, roar, spell-like abilities, sundering bite
Special Qualities: Damage reduction 10/adamantine, darkvision 60 ft., hardened skin, immunity to poison and sonic, resistance to acid 10 and electricity 10 and fire 10, spell resistance 27
Saves: Fort +15, Ref +11, Will +8
Abilities: Str 25, Dex 17, Con 25, Int 16, Wis 10, Cha 16
Skills: Bluff +18, Climb +22, Concentration +22, Intimidate +20, Jump +22, Knowledge (the planes) +18, Listen +15, Search +18, Spot +15, Survival +15 (+17 on other planes and when following tracks), Swim +22
Feats: Improved Critical (bite), Improved Initiative, Improved Sunder (b), Multiattack, Power Attack, Weapon Focus (bite)
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 12
Treasure: None
Advancement: 13-24 HD (large); 25-36 HD (huge)

This 12-foot tall creature has skin the color of a dark bruise. Its elongated arms hang well below its knees, ending in a pair of viciously sharp claws. Its head is wedge shaped and it bears a large mouth filled with jagged looking canines. The creature’s narrow eyes gleam dangerously as a long, purple tongue trails out of its mouth and licks its fiendish lips.

Hergaru are walking agents of destruction. They inhabit the darkest, most chaotic realms of the abyss, hunting bebiliths, demons, and planar travelers alike, if only for the fun of destroying something. They revel in the destruction of just above everything and are prone to especially violent fits of madness if there is nothing left to destroy. Despite their often solitary lifestyle, a lone hergaru will quickly go mad if it has nothing left to tear down and destroy.
Despite most evil outsider’s lust for souls, hergaru sate themselves on a much more ‘mundane’ affair: magical items. They particularly love the sound of dweomered items cracking between their powerful jaws, the surge of energy that flows throughout their body as the pent up magical power is released. They find magical items forged of the power of good to be excellent delicacies and savor the taste of them for as long as possible.
Hergaru stand 12 feet tall and weigh about 4,000 pounds.

COMBAT
Hergaru are intelligent and passionate creatures. They live to destroy and revel in the bloodshed that they cause. Despite their relatively high intelligence, hergaru are prone to foolish fits of violence if something deprives them of what they want or gets in their way. They also often have a tendency to toy with those obviously weaker than them.
A hergaru’s natural weapons, as well as any weapons it wields, are treated as chaotic-aligned and evil-aligned for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction.
Fear Aura (Su): A hergaru can radiate a 10-foot-radius fear aura as a free action. A creature in the area must succeed on a DC 19 Will save or be affected as though by a fear spell (caster level 12th). A creature that successfully saves cannot be affected again by the same hergaru’s fear aura for 24 hours. The save DC is Charisma based.
Hardened Skin (Su): The skin of a hergaru is supernaturally strong. Any time a manufactured weapon with hardness less than 20 strikes the hergaru the weapon must make a Fort save (DC 23) or shatter. The weapon uses either its own save bonus or its owner’s save bonus, whichever is higher. The save DC is Constitution based.
Roar (Su): Once every 2d4 rounds, the hargaru can unleash a bone-shattering roar. When it uses this ability, the hergaru can either choose to do a burst effect (centered on itself) or a cone effect. No matter which effect it uses, it must still wait 2d4 rounds before using its roar ability again.
Burst: Anyone within 30 ft. of the hergaru automatically takes 3d6 points of sonic damage and must make a Will save (DC 23) or be deafened for 2d6 rounds. The save DC is Constitution based.
Cone: 60 ft. Anyone within the cone takes 6d8 points of sonic damage and can attempt a Reflex save (DC 23) for half damage. The save DC is Constitution based.
Spell-like Abilities: At will – greater teleport (self plus 50 pounds of objects only), see invisibility, sound burst (DC 15); 3/day – chaos hammer (DC 17), fireball (DC 16); 1/day – word of chaos (DC 20). Caster level 12th. The save DC’s are Charisma based.
Sundering Bite (Ex): On a successful sunder attempt with its bite attack, the hergaru deals double damage. Also, the hergaru’s bite is treated as adamantine for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction and ignoring hardness.

Remove ads