• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Su Abilities: When are they "recharged"?

I read the clarification re: Spell-like Abilities on the WotC site that stated SpA are recovered after 24 hours have passed since last use.

My question is: does this 24-hour period also apply to Supernatural abilities that have a daily usage limit?

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
Ogrork the Mighty said:
I read the clarification re: Spell-like Abilities on the WotC site that stated SpA are recovered after 24 hours have passed since last use.

My question is: does this 24-hour period also apply to Supernatural abilities that have a daily usage limit?

Frankly - that's really really bad. It means that most SLA's are actually less than once per day, unless the user is in the unlikely position of using them at the same time every day.

I'd much prefer having them refill at a set point in time or after some sort of 'recharging' ritual. Since most critters with SLA's are planar, you could tie them to the rising or setting of something on their home plane, or some other natural phenomenon.

24 hrs after last use is horrible.

Li Shenron

Legend
Obviously the time-window rule is harsher compared to a specific time recharge rule, which is also easier to keep track of. We have always been assuming that daily abilities are recharged with rest (although IIRC that article about SLA ruled that rest shouldn't be used), while weekly abilities or others with longer "recharge time" use the window - if you have 1/week use, you must wait a week after each use. In any case, I think you should just agree with your party about which rule you like better and is easier for you, because it doesn't make a big difference at the end, except in some rare specific circumstances.

Remove ads