On second thought, DriveThruRPG isn't as bad as i initially thought...

Cergorach

The Laughing One
With all the negtive threads over DriveThruRPG (DTRPG) on Enworld and RPGnet, of which i was also a part, i've had time to get a bit of a perspective on things.

People have expressed a lot of concerns over the use of DRM, the business practices of DRM, the prices of some of the products offered, and the possible slight made in the direction of RPGnow. Let's go through them together:

The use of Adobe DRM: I agree with most people, i would prefer a pdf file with no Adobe DRM. But please understand that Adobe DRM allows for a greater security of the pdf file, even if that security can be broken, a friend of mine said it best "A lock on the door won't stop the greatest thief in the world, but it will certainly stop a lot of thugs.". Adobe DRM does exactly that, stop the casual pirates. Most of the consumers (including myself) couldn't care less if that meant that we had to jump through hoops and be inconvenienced. But most publishers do, that's the reason we haven't seen a lot of pdf publications of printed books from the big print publishers, even though making a publishable pdf from the file that you send to the printers takes less then 5 minutes.

If Adobe DRM means that some publishers that didn't trust 'unsecure' pdfs will be publishing their print products in an electronic format, then i'm a happy camper. It doesn't really matter if they're right or not, they 'feel' that they're right and that's what's important.

So i'll ask you this: If you had the choise between no electronic version of a print book and an Adobe DRMed electronic version of a print book, which would you choose? Personally i would rather have something then nothing...

There are some people that have a philosophical dislike of DRM, i'm one of them. I also have a philosophical dislike of windows, but that doesn't mean i won't use it. Please see your 'philosophical dislikes' in a proper context, these are tools, things of 'comfort' and 'joy', don't make them into 'world problems'...

Adobe DRM limitations - Older OSes: It requires the use of Adobe Reader 6.0+ or Adobe Acrobat (Profesional) 6.0+, that means that on certain older OSes it won't run. I know this sucks, but that is the modern world for you. I know taht some movies won't be released on video anymore and that you can only buy them on DVD, your video recorder won't properly eat dvds so your stuck with either buy a dvd player or don't buy or rent the movie, again this sucks. That's progress, you can't expect that people, software, or hardware will be backwards compatible for ever and ever.

Adobe DRM limitations - non windows OSes: Yeah, this sucks, no linux support (among others). Go bombard Adobe withn e-mail for Linux support, if i have to sign a petition somewhere, show me where! Some people have been successful with running wine and adobe products, maybe this will work as well, an alternative is using a vrtual pc on Linux (VMware for example).

I find it annoying that there's still no support for WinCe, but i think that it will be available eventually...

Adobe DRM limitations - Can't use it because other PC has no internet connection: Use an ethernet card (those things are pretty cheap even for laptops) to connect to your internet enabled pc, connect to the internet and activate your Adobe DRM on your laptop, now you don't have to connect to the internet anymore. This is a simple action and will only require a couple of minutes of internet connection, so i highly doubt that you'll need a $50 virus scanner for that.

Adobe DRM limitations - Limited amount of computers i can activate it on: This wasn't very clear, the adobe site is a mess when it comes to concrete facts about Adobe DRM. The DTRPG faq didn't anticipate these technical question, but one of the DTRPG representatives has said that there's no limit (actually he said that there's no 6 pc limit, but we figured that means that there's no limit).

Adobe DRM limitations - Can't copy text to my hearts content: No and yes. No, the current implamentation of Adobe DDRM used at DTRPG only allows 10 copy/paste attempts (or a maximum of 10 pages, whichever is less) every 10 days. With an internet connection and a couple of mouse clicks this can be circumvented. Is it as easy as an unprotected pdf, absolutely no! And i would advice the folks at DTRPG and the publishers that use DTRPG to lift the 10 copy/paste maimum, because it really hinders a lot of people far more then that it protects. What matters to me is that i can get around it (i'll be more specific a bit later).

Adobe DRM limitations - Can you print it?: Yes you can, as much as you want! As long as you use a computer that has been Adobe DRM activated by you and has the file you want to print on it. A possible alternative is to print the file to a postscript file and then print it at a different pc, i haven't tested this yet (mostly because i don't see a need because i already have those pdfs in print form), but will try later this week.

Adobe DRM limitations - What happens if DTRPG goes under?: I don't know exactly, but from what i've heard Adobe keeps a copy of the activation keys. I don't really know if this is true or not, have to confirm this.

Adobe DRM limitations - What happens if Adobe goes under?: I don't see this happening in the near future (next decade or so), even if it would happen, the software Adobe develops is from such a 'high' quality that i'm sure another software company will pick up the software. And by the time this would even happen i'm sure that you'll be able to download litlle apps that will remove the Adobe DRM without much hassle...

Did i miss anything on the Adobe DRM front?

b]Pricing:[/b] Ouch, some of the companies that are selling their products at only a buck under retail, that means that some of the products are more expensive then bought in print form (a lot of online vendors give a 20%-40% discount on printed products). This will certainly hinder impulse buying from these vendors, but please keep in mind that most of the products sold at DTRPG are still in print and the people that use them are mainly print publisher first, pdf publishers second (Malhavoc is the exception). But If i really want a product digitally that i can search through or copy 10+ pages of text from, then it's still a bargain at the full retail price, OCRing can be so much work! I certainly wish this store launced a month earlier, that would have saved me from OCRing Fields of Blood, i'm still not completely finished,so i'll be buying this as well...

Possible slight made in the direction of RPGnow: from Malhavoc's press release:
DriveThruRPG.com is the first completely professional gaming e-Book site, and it offers secure downloads using Adobe's secure server technology.
Yes this can be construed as a slight in the direction of RPGnow, especially with the condesending piece Monte Cook (owner of Malhaoc) wrote regarding the use of Adobe DRM (bad Monte! ;-)

To me the professional part instead connects with the use of "Adobe's secure server technology", instead of as a perceived slight towards RPGnow. RPGnow still only distributes pdf files that don't use Adobe DRM, although i like that of RPGnow, in certain circles that is viewed as 'unprofessional ebook' publication. Those circles are generally visited by Adobe account managers that try to sell Adobe Content Servers...

So instead of trying to start a 'crusade' against people, that very probably, didn't mean anyhthing bad by it. Try to be a little nicer to publishers that are trying to stay in business in less then prosperous years...

Will DTRPG still be in business a year from now: Unless some disaster (like a comet) strikes the DTRPG offices and kills everyone and the server, they most probably will still be around in a year and probably in a decade.

Why do you think that, others are saying they won't be: Beside the initial cost of deploying an e-commerce site like DTRPG, the maintainance costs are pretty low. The server(s) the site is running on need to be paid, in these times that doesn't have to be thousands of dollars per month ($100/month gets you a nice colocation and a lot of bandwith), and you need someone to run the site, depending on how the site was created that only needs to be a single person and doesn't need to be working on this 24/7.

DTRPG has some very exclusive titles, and they have a lot of very good titles. With the prices some of the products have, even if they only sell a dozen a week, they'll probably will be able to keep DTRPG afloat.

I actually expect that more publishers will flock under the DTRPG banner, WotC wouldn't be totally unexpected for example. RPGnow probably has a much bleaker future ahead (as much as i hate to say it), no offense RPGnow, you guys are creating a great service!

Sorry for the rant ;-)

Bagpuss

Legend
Cergorach - Edited to address particular points said:
The use of Adobe DRM: Adobe DRM does exactly that, stop the casual pirates.

But it doesn't as all it takes is one determined pirate to break it then the cracked copy will spread around the P2P networks to all the casual pirates.

Most of the consumers (including myself) couldn't care less if that meant that we had to jump through hoops and be inconvenienced.

I think you are mistaken, for a start the PDF market isn't that big, and one of the main selling points of PDF is ease of transport, copy/pasteing and cost. The majority stuff on DriveThru fails to even beat RPGNow on any of these, let alone pirated products.

But most publishers do, that's the reason we haven't seen a lot of pdf publications of printed books from the big print publishers, even though making a publishable pdf from the file that you send to the printers takes less then 5 minutes.

Actually looking at the PDF's on sale at DriveThru I'll be amazed if they even spent 5 minutes producing them! At least the small PDF press that sell stuff through RPGNow put bookmarks in their products. The pirate copies are often OCR'ed and bookmarked, so I'ld expect at least that from offical copies, this isn't the case.

So i'll ask you this: If you had the choise between no electronic version of a print book and an Adobe DRMed electronic version of a print book, which would you choose? Personally i would rather have something then nothing...

Hmm if the choice is between $24.99 for a shop bought hardcopy (I can scan through before purchase), $24.00 for a DRMed electronic version, $19.99 for a Amazon hardcopy, or free for a pirated non DRM electronic version I know which one I would choose.

Adobe DRM limitations - Older OSes - non windows OSes - Can't use it because other PC has no internet connection - Can't copy text to my hearts content

These are all limitations or aditional hurdles to jump through, the PDF market isn't exactly massive to start with and it surely doesn't help to alienate existing PDF users by presenting problems that didn't exist previously. The no internet connection is a major one, while you might assume someone downloading a ebook would have an internet connection, for RPG gamers that use PDF's they often transfer the files from a online PC to an offline laptop or PDA for when they are at the gaming table, so this can be a deal killer.

b]Pricing:[/b] Ouch, some of the companies that are selling their products at only a buck under retail, that means that some of the products are more expensive then bought in print form (a lot of online vendors give a 20%-40% discount on printed products).[/b][/quote]

These companies are either have mentally unstable individuals in their sales department, haven't a clue about the PDF market, or believe their customers are mental unstable and have six figure incomes.

But If i really want a product digitally that i can search through or copy 10+ pages of text from, then it's still a bargain at the full retail price, OCRing can be so much work!

Guess you have a six figure income and/or are mentally unstable.

Possible slight made in the direction of RPGnow: from Malhavoc's press release: "DriveThruRPG.com is the first completely professional gaming e-Book site, and it offers secure downloads using Adobe's secure server technology." Yes this can be construed as a slight in the direction of RPGnow, especially with the condesending piece Monte Cook (owner of Malhaoc) wrote regarding the use of Adobe DRM (bad Monte! ;-)

Considering that non-professional e-Book publishers have produced better quality PDF's it isn't much to show off about. (Malhavoc being a notable exception as they don't just scan print products)

Will DTRPG still be in business a year from now: Unless some disaster (like a comet) strikes the DTRPG offices and kills everyone and the server, they most probably will still be around in a year and probably in a decade.

I wouldn't be so sure, they aren't going to shift a lot of product if its priced as poorly as some of the stuff is now.

DTRPG has some very exclusive titles, and they have a lot of very good titles. With the prices some of the products have, even if they only sell a dozen a week, they'll probably will be able to keep DTRPG afloat.

Assuming you exclude print version for cheaper and electronic pirate version for free then yeah they are exclusive.

I actually expect that more publishers will flock under the DTRPG banner, WotC wouldn't be totally unexpected for example. RPGnow probably has a much bleaker future ahead....

They might indeed, but unless they heavily discount from the retail prices hey aren't going to shift anything and people will still grab pirate copies (same product but free) or retail print copies (same product, same price, but better quality and thanks to DRM more transportable).

Sorry for the rant ;-)

Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Cergorach

The Laughing One
But it doesn't as all it takes is one determined pirate to break it then the cracked copy will spread around the P2P networks to all the casual pirates.
This is so very true, we can only hope ;-)
But what most publishers seem to mean by 'casual pirate' is the guy that buys the product and e-mails it to bis buddies, that doesn't work anymore. Believe it or not there are loads of people that don't know how programs like kazaa work or that find it 'scarry' to use.

I don't doubt that there will be a moment when the exact pdfs sold by DTRPG will be available op p2p sans Adobe DRM. But as it stands now, there's no one that has been able to remove Adobe DRM from the ebook files... In the future there will be, but not now at this moment (i would love someone to prove me wrong)...

I think you are mistaken, for a start the PDF market isn't that big, and one of the main selling points of PDF is ease of transport, copy/pasteing and cost. The majority stuff on DriveThru fails to even beat RPGNow on any of these, let alone pirated products.
Scuse me, but that's not why the format was developed. Although your partially right about the ease of transport, collect all the layout/font/collering/etc. in one file. But cost and copy/paste is not why it was developed, although it is often used that way.

Actually looking at the PDF's on sale at DriveThru I'll be amazed if they even spent 5 minutes producing them! At least the small PDF press that sell stuff through RPGNow put bookmarks in their products. The pirate copies are often OCR'ed and bookmarked, so I'ld expect at least that from offical copies, this isn't the case.
Yup, i miss bookmarks as well, but you can add those yourself (if i understand adobe correctly).

Pirated copies are often not OCRed, some are bookmarked, but not all of them. You can't find an OCRed product from Fantasy Flight Games on the net, some of their products aren't even scanned, path of magic is, but the other path books aren't. So FFG books that have selectable text are quite rare to say the least. Also the copies sold at DTRPG are significantly smaller then those found online and the DTRPG ones are of significant better quality.

Hmm if the choice is between $24.99 for a shop bought hardcopy (I can scan through before purchase), $24.00 for a DRMed electronic version, $19.99 for a Amazon hardcopy, or free for a pirated non DRM electronic version I know which one I would choose.
I already have all the FFG, S&S, etc. books in print form, i want a version i can select text from. Yeah it sucks that i have to pay more for a product i already own, but that is the reality of the matter. The pirated copies don't have selectable text.

These are all limitations or aditional hurdles to jump through, the PDF market isn't exactly massive to start with and it surely doesn't help to alienate existing PDF users by presenting problems that didn't exist previously. The no internet connection is a major one, while you might assume someone downloading a ebook would have an internet connection, for RPG gamers that use PDF's they often transfer the files from a online PC to an offline laptop or PDA for when they are at the gaming table, so this can be a deal killer.
True, the pdf market isn't huge, but with the titles DTRPG carries i'm sure the market just got a bigger piece of pie to divide. There are lots of people who are really interested in FFG and WW electronic products, but wouldn't consider buying other PDFs.

No internet on laptop, as i said use an ethernet cable. pdas have synchronisation capabilities with the host pc.

The only options DTRPG has removed from the market are the new products from Malhavoc, Guardian of Order, and Fiery Dragon. All the other companies listed at DTRPG are new and wouldn't have entered the pdf market if no DRM was involved (otherwise they would have done so with RPGnow some have even said this).

These companies are either have mentally unstable individuals in their sales department, haven't a clue about the PDF market, or believe their customers are mental unstable and have six figure incomes.
FFG gave a perfectly reasonable explanation on why they don't further discount their in print products, it's very reasonable for a print publisher. FFG for example doesn't want to pioneer the pdf market, it wants to offer a service for their fans, the fans that can't get their products in another fashion. THey actually want you to buy the actual product instead of the electronic version. That's a very sound business plan if your income doesn't depend on electronic products (the same can be said for the other publishers).

Guess you have a six figure income and/or are mentally unstable.
Six figure income, hahaha, i can only wish! Mentally unstable, probably, i play RPGs don't i... ;-)

Let me throw around some figures: Path of the Sword, a book i already own, but i really want to have a selectable text version. I can scan it (a couple of hours of work or i have to destroy the book) and OCR it (another many, many hours of work to do it right). Or i can spend my €20 on the electronic copy and work two hours of overtime at work. Basic economics, do i work 40 hours on an OCR project or do i spend €20 on the legal copy?

Considering that non-professional e-Book publishers have produced better quality PDF's it isn't much to show off about. (Malhavoc being a notable exception as they don't just scan print products)
I think you mean functionality instead of quality. Yes most 'non-professional' e-book publishers have published mre functional pdfs. But htey are pdf publishers, not print publishers. Btw, the products at DTRPG aren't scanned versions of products, they are created from the original files, big difference (there might be a few exceptions)!

I wouldn't be so sure, they aren't going to shift a lot of product if its priced as poorly as some of the stuff is now.
They seem to be aiming at a whole different markt segment, and don't forget, the publishers featured on DTRPG won't go under from bad pdf sales, because they depend on print sales and ebooks are for now only a secondary market.

Assuming you exclude print version for cheaper and electronic pirate version for free then yeah they are exclusive.
Exclusive as in legal exclusive electronic products. Not to mention that for now the products at DTRPG are text selectable and that most pirated products aren't, that will probably change as someone will figure out how to crack the Adobe DRM, but for now that's also pretty much exclusive...

They might indeed, but unless they heavily discount from the retail prices hey aren't going to shift anything and people will still grab pirate copies (same product but free) or retail print copies (same product, same price, but better quality and thanks to DRM more transportable).
Depends on what people are looking for and what their budget is, if your happy with a 100MB file where you can't select text from and can't search, but can't get onto another rmachine, then yeah, DTRPG isn't for them. On the other hand if you can work with DRM on the platforms you want to read it one, want a 10MB file and have $30 bucks to spend, then DTRPG is for you. I think that a lot of people will do both...

Sure, they might loose some customers, buy they also gain a lot of new customers with the new (print) publishers entering the ebook market. They might loose you, but they probably gain more than they loose (no one is going to get a definitive answer on that subject, because if you do one, you can'tdo the other).

Psion

Adventurer
Cergorach said:
Adobe DRM limitations - Limited amount of computers i can activate it on: This wasn't very clear, the adobe site is a mess when it comes to concrete facts about Adobe DRM. The DTRPG faq didn't anticipate these technical question, but one of the DTRPG representatives has said that there's no limit (actually he said that there's no 6 pc limit, but we figured that means that there's no limit).

He told me that, but I knew I wasn't hallucinating: The adobe site directly contradicts him on this:

https://aractivate.adobe.com/eden/edenui.asp?command=showhelp&dialog=1

To quote the relevant section:

Q: How many computers or devices can I share a document among?
A: You may activate a maximum of 6 computers or mobile devices and share protected PDF files among them.

So which is it? Are specific customers afforded special exceptions to this? I thought that the registration thing was entirely a distributor independant Adobe service?

trancejeremy

Adventurer
The way that White Wolf handled this really is what rubs me wrong.

I mean, they put down RPGNow; they deny they are White Wolf, even though they are owned by the same people, use White Wolf employees, and have just about the entire line of WW productus; Monte Cook gloats how wonderful DRM is for gamers when it's really not; how it's always WW employees or associates who are rabid defenders of this, but deny their relationship to WW has anything to do with it (Bruce Baught, the Necromancer guy, etc)

I'm not a big PDF buyer - I think I've bought 1 from RPGNOw and some of the old OOP TSR stuff, but I do probably buy $40 worth of print RPG stuff a month, most months. From now on, I'm not buying any products from companies who use DTRPG. I'd rather not support companies that go out of it's way to imply it's customers are thieves, are heavy handed, take nasty swipes at their competition, and engage in semantics to try to play games about who owns them.

Cergorach

The Laughing One
Now i'm starting to quote myself, what's the world comming to!
I don't doubt that there will be a moment when the exact pdfs sold by DTRPG will be available op p2p sans Adobe DRM. But as it stands now, there's no one that has been able to remove Adobe DRM from the ebook files... In the future there will be, but not now at this moment (i would love someone to prove me wrong)...
So i was wrong, the Adobe DRM can be easily circumvented, you just need the right PS to pdf converter. pdfFactory is such a program. Print directly to this pdf printer and you'll have an unDRMed pdf...
So which is it? Are specific customers afforded special exceptions to this? I thought that the registration thing was entirely a distributor independant Adobe service?
The adobe site is contradicting itself in a number of places, if i remember correctly, there was an option that allowed an unlimited amount of pcs. I just don't remember where it was, with these DTRPG treads all over the place it's getting hard to find information you read somewhere. I'll post a link as soon as i find something. But hasn't this point become a bit of a mood issue... *grins evily*

Psion said:
He told me that, but I knew I wasn't hallucinating: The adobe site directly contradicts him on this:

https://aractivate.adobe.com/eden/edenui.asp?command=showhelp&dialog=1

To quote the relevant section:

Publishers can always choose the level of DRM they include. Microsoft's Reader e-book program allowed a similar level of customizability. Hopefully, DTRPG will include a FAQ soon detailing exactly what rights and permissions are extended with their PDFs. Adobe assumes the default will be the most useful, and what they describe is what they recommend to their clients, but not necessarily what the clients use.

Treebore

First Post
I have a very simple problem with this DRM issue. When I buy a product it is mine to read when and where I like. I can show it to whom I want. As long as i don't distribute it for free, or sell it for profit, I will do whatever I want with what I own.

DRM says I don't own it. It says I am allowed to use it as some one else sees fit, and I pay them to tell me how they want it used. That doesn't work for me. When i buy something I want to own it and use it how I see fit. I will never buy anything with DRM controls.

Print gives me the freedoms I want, I will stay with print, or pdf's without these "big brother" controls.

Cergorach

The Laughing One
Treebore said:
I have a very simple problem with this DRM issue. When I buy a product it is mine to read when and where I like. I can show it to whom I want. As long as i don't distribute it for free, or sell it for profit, I will do whatever I want with what I own.

DRM says I don't own it. It says I am allowed to use it as some one else sees fit, and I pay them to tell me how they want it used. That doesn't work for me. When i buy something I want to own it and use it how I see fit. I will never buy anything with DRM controls.

Print gives me the freedoms I want, I will stay with print, or pdf's without these "big brother" controls.
Question: Do you buy DVDs?
Response: If so, the your also stuck with some sort of DRM, you can't play it on DVD players outside of your designated Region (1). Will you now stop buying DVDs?

You could say that it isn't as limiting as DRM, which is true, but the idea is the same, you can't do what you want with what you've bought. Sure there are ways around this, making your DVD player Region free, but the same can be said of DRMed files, you can remove the DRMing...

Bagpuss

Legend
Cergorach said:
Question: Do you buy DVDs?
Response: If so, the your also stuck with some sort of DRM, you can't play it on DVD players outside of your designated Region (1). Will you now stop buying DVDs?

Yeah but it doesn't say you can only play the DVD in your house or only on the player you had when you bought it, or that you can't give the DVD to a friend when you don't want it anymore or as a gift, and as you correctly pointed out you can buy multi-region DVD players.

Last edited:

Remove ads