Your one favorite monster book

RogueRonin

Explorer
Hey people, I have been playing D&D for a few years, but I am just starting to DM on a regular basis. There are tons of monster books out there, and some seem better than others. So I am asking if you could pick just one monster book as your favorite, which one would it be, and why? Maybe it's the one you use the most in a session, maybe it's the one that fits best into your campaign, or maybe it just has the coolest monsters. So if you feel like sharing, go ahead, I will be interested in reading your responses.

Kaleon Moonshae

When TrueNight falls
RogueRonin said:
Hey people, I have been playing D&D for a few years, but I am just starting to DM on a regular basis. There are tons of monster books out there, and some seem better than others. So I am asking if you could pick just one monster book as your favorite, which one would it be, and why? Maybe it's the one you use the most in a session, maybe it's the one that fits best into your campaign, or maybe it just has the coolest monsters. So if you feel like sharing, go ahead, I will be interested in reading your responses.

Hands down the monsternomicon. The wealth of information and the beautiful artwork just makes it the best monster book. It is true that their crs are off, but then I rarely pay attention to printed crs anyway. The book is just gorgious. For those who have to have correct crs then privateer has released errata to bring them up to correct numbers.

Crothian

First Post
The Monster Manual is tops just because it has all the traditional monsters I like to use. The sad thing is ist is no longer even a top 5 monster book of d20.

But of the others the one that I want to use the most because it has some very cool creatures in it, great production values, and is different enough from everything else is Denizens of Avendnu. This book is full color, glossy paged so it looks great. THe monsters area little more odd and creative then traditionally and this really sets it apart.

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
I too would have to recommend the good ol' Monster Manual as the king of the monster books. But if you're looking for something beyond the basics, I really like Fiend Folio. It's so flavorful and bizarre. And it's mostly 3.5 compatible, which is handy.

Demiurge out.

Legacy of Dragons.

Wait. There's Tome of Horrors. And I haven't got Tome II yet. Still, they're all good. Now, which one do I use the most? Good old MM. But that's probably why it's a core rulebook. ;)

Wombat

First Post
Monster Manual

Most of the others are extras -- nice, but unnecessary. The basic one is NECESSARY!

Then again, I'm not really into collecting monster books. Most of the "monsters" our group uses are classed NPCs and their henchbeings...

YMMV, personal opinions expressed only by the ex-management, etc. ;)

Remove ads