[BDG] Official d20 Future Setting Announcement

Given the various threads regarding the upcoming d20 Future, Blue Devil Games is proud to announce the upcoming Dawning*Star.

Dawning*Star is a brand new, hard science, science-fiction campaign setting from Blue Devil Games.

Set in the distant M57 Galaxy, Dawning*Star answers the question: What if Lost In Space happened to an entire nation of people instead of just one annoying family? Massive transport ships, carrying thousands of Earthlings, are thrown violently and irrevocably off course from there intended destination. Lost in a far away galaxy, under the shadow of an alien threat, Earth is reborn.

Written by Joseph Martin and myself, it will likely be in the neighborhood of 160 pages. We are completing the creative, fluffy bits now with rough sketches of the mechanics we want to include once d20 Future hits the streets. We will then feverishly incorporate all of the game material. We anticipate releasing Dawning*Star in pdf format on RPGNow within 3-7 days after d20 Future hits the SRD, followed by a print release within two months thereafter. Dawning*Star will not only be the first, but also the best, science-fiction campaign setting to be powered by d20 Future.

Stay tuned for future previews.

Dawning*Star - The FUTURE of d20 is Now. (tm)

(Technically, the first announcement was slyly inserted into the recent psionic poison web enhancement found on my web page.)

1) I do NOT have an advance copy. Our plan is grueling, but simple. We're going to finish up before d20 Future hits bookstores. When it does, we're going to incorporate d20 Future material from the book; I figure we'll have a couple of weeks at least. Then, once d20 Future hits the SRD, we'll take a few days to check SRD compliance and a few more days to finish up the layout for pdf release. Once we get the pdf release out, we'll get some feedback, wait for errata, and go to print publication.

It's a different kind of model, to be sure, one necessitated by the unique circumstances. But I believe in the project, and I think we can pull it off.

2) As fars as the format of the print version, we are indeed leaning toward hardback. I'd say that's all but assured. The real question is whether we'll be doing a color interior or b&w.

Thanks for your interest.

jaerdaph

#UkraineStrong
No offense intended, and I sincerely wish you the best of luck, but it doesn't sound like there is any serious plan to playtest this product, if that would even be possible on your schedule, before you release it.

arkham618

Explorer
jaerdaph said:
No offense intended, and I sincerely wish you the best of luck, but it doesn't sound like there is any serious plan to playtest this product, if that would even be possible on your schedule, before you release it.

Likewise, the title is rather lame. Dawning*Star? It's clunky and an obvious imitation of Star*Drive and Dark*Matter. The setting is about stranded colonists building a new homeworld in a distant galaxy, right? Why not call it Far*Horizon or Distant*Star or Outer*Dawn (if you must include an asterisk)? These are similarly explicative of the setting and have a better cadence.

mroberon1972

First Post
arkham618 said:
Likewise, the title is rather lame. Dawning*Star? It's clunky and an obvious imitation of Star*Drive and Dark*Matter. The setting is about stranded colonists building a new homeworld in a distant galaxy, right? Why not call it Far*Horizon or Distant*Star or Outer*Dawn (if you must include an asterisk)? These are similarly explicative of the setting and have a better cadence.

:confused:

That's it. Just smash the idea before it breeds. Pick at little things like the title. Especially since there is not anything really concrete to hate about it yet.

Playtesting? For a setting book? Right. The reason he's using the d20F book is to have already playtested rules. You don't playtest a city for game balance.

Don't worry, you can find something else to whine about when it's published. Like the pages being black and white.

(For those of you who can't tell... That's sarcasm.)

I'm not going to say anything more on this, and you have a right to have an opinion... But don't be surprised when others form opinions of thier own based on them.

John Bowden

Bagpuss

Legend
Besides surely the PDF release will allow for playtesting and feedback to be included in the paper release (one would hope the PDF whould then get a free update).

We do, in fact, intend to playtest the product. My post was a general announcement and not a day-to-day outline of the product development plan. I recognize that playtesting--like every other part of this project--will be difficult on our short schedule. I merely look at that as another challenge. I am likely to actually pay the playtesters depending on the amount of material and the deadlines involved. We're not there yet, so I haven't decided.

Additionally, Bagpuss has it right. We will be using the pdf as an additional pipeline for feedback, which will permit us to correct any problems for the print version. We will also be able to release an updated version of the pdf if necessary. This is essentially the same model that Malhavoc uses--to good effect in my opinion.

Obviously, this is a matter of opinion. The asterisk I was torn about because of the similarities you mention. Frankly, it's little more than a place-holder, as the official logo will have an actual star (well, an actual picture of a star), not an asterisk. As far as the name is concerned, I wanted to emphasize the new-world-building aspect of the setting--not the distance from Earth, which would be accomplished by your suggestions. Personally, I find the assonance of "Dawning" and "Star" to be satisfying. But, that's what makes horseraces, right?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases