more new races for judging

Evilhalfling

Adventurer
This board seems to be a great place for outside input on the realtive power of new races. I appreciate the help.

Crystal Dwarves - one of four subraces of dwarves these dwarves seperated from the mainstock and delved into psionics. The Duegar (XPH) went farther still and were eventually driven from the dwarven lands while the crystal dwarves still coexist with the tradtional mountain clans. They spend less time in physical combat and more time devoted to research and mental development. Their experiments with strange powers have weakened the normal dwarven resistances.

favored class - Psiwarrior
+2 con, -2 chr
Darkvison, stablity as listed in PHB
no bonuses to save vs magic or posion
no combat bonuses vs gaints or humanoids
Skills - +2 alchemy, craft bonuses no not apply to metal items
Slow movement (20 ft) - movement restricted by heavy armor
Naturally Psionic 2 psp
Psi-like ability- stomp once per day, manfester level = 1/2 hd, save = 11+ chr mod

Stomp (psiwarrior 1)- 20 cone, reflex negates, no spell resitance,
a psychokinetic shockwave that travels along the ground, creatures who fail saves are thrown to the ground, become prone and take 1d4 nonleathal damage. Augment - +1 psp for +1d4 nonleathel damage.

Fire Newts
Fire newts are desert dwelling humanoid lizards, distant cousins to lizardmen and kobolds. They ride domesticated dinosaurs if avalible. They drove all the orcs and human nomads from the hot sandy deserts where they live. They have nomadic clan social structures. They are hardy but have unorganized and unpredictable minds. Females keep eggs in chests or jars of heated sand.
A typical fire newt is mottled sepia in color fading to near white on the belly. They have smooth eel like features and deep crimsion eyes. Females are slightly shorter and duller brown.
Fire newts are treated as borderline outsiders, much like half orcs.

favored class - wilder(XPH) or fighter
+2 con, -2 int, -2 wis
+1 NAC
Fire reistance 5
+2 handle animal (reptailes/dinosaurs only), +2 Spot
normal human vision
temperature sesnitivity - if the air is below freezing then the fire newt is considered fatigued. This ends after 1 minute in a warmer envorment.

Breath Fire (Su) 1 per day the fire newt can breath fire on an adjecent target - ranged touch, no save. damage 1d6 +1/per hd.
- Fire newts who go on to become pryokinecticists (XPH) use most powers from their mouths -

I am working on a new campaign world and like psionic races, but the ones presented don't quite fit. Keep im mind that Duegar, with a host more special ablities are ECL +1 from a story perspective, the crystal dwarves should keep attack bonuses and armored movement, but for balance reasons they were removed.
I am also open to different methods for the fire newts breath -
2 races in XPH get a one use per day energy ray - close range, dmg 1d6 per 2 hd, ranged touch, save for half.

Aaron2

Explorer
Evilhalfling said:
Crystal Dwarves

I don't know the XPH rules so I can't judge how effective psi bonuses are.

Fire Newts
+2 con, -2 int, -2 wis
+1 NAC
Fire reistance 5
+2 handle animal (reptailes/dinosaurs only), +2 Spot
normal human vision
temperature sesnitivity - if the air is below freezing then the fire newt is considered fatigued. This ends after 1 minute in a warmer envorment.

Breath Fire (Su) 1 per day the fire newt can breath fire on an adjecent target - ranged touch, no save. damage 1d6 +1/per hd.
- Fire newts who go on to become pryokinecticists (XPH) use most powers from their mouths -

I've always liked firenewts. I see nothing particularly out of whack about the base stats. 1d6 once per day isn't that great. I'd make it a 5' cone with Reflex for 1/2. Save being the normal formula (I think 10 + 1/2 HD + Con mod). I'd even considering letting them breath fire once every 1d4 minutes, that's closer to what they were in the FF. For the breath damage, I'm leaning towards +1d6 / 4 HD. A 20th level character doing 5d6 per battle isn't all that great/bad.

Aaron

Last edited:

Remove ads