D&D for a Younger Audience

mmadsen

First Post
How would you modify D&D for a younger audience? What kind of rules would you use, and what kind of adventures would you run for your nieces and nephews or a room full of eight-year-olds?

On the Little Changes with Big Flavor thread, a few ideas came up:
  • Instead of having a creature die when it hits 0-(-10) HPs, and leave a bloody carcass, have it crumble into dust and blow away (or turn to stone).
  • The heroes are animals or children.
  • Their allies are animals
  • The monsters can be defeated through wits.
  • Fewer "boom" spells and more cursing or polymorphing.
  • Magic items as gifts rather than loot.
  • No distinction between arcane and divine magic, no Law or Chaos, etc.

Last edited:

EOL

First Post
As with any group of players you've got to find out what they like. Of the top of my head I think that a Harry Potter themed campaign could be a huge amount of fun for a group of 8-year olds. Or perhaps they would like something along the lines of the Wizard of Oz books by Baum.

SHARK

First Post
Greetings!

Ahh, yes. Running games for the younger set. I ran a holiday-con at a friend's house over just last Christmas and New Year's. We played several days straight, 6-14 hours each. There were eight lads, 10-14 years old. Only two had ever played D&D at all. Even that wasn't much. These lads were just blown away by the game. They were so into it, wide eyed and everything. Some things that I did, were the following:

(1) Let the lads pretty much run whatever decent humanoid race they want.

Elves, Dwarves, Humans, Minotaurs, and Wolfmen were the popular choices. The boys were so jazzed imagining their cool teeth, or horns, or their various weapons. They were psyched!

(2) Keep the action flowing!

I interspersed some quiet moments throughout, but there was a certain rythm of encounters that kept rolling in. Whether it is in a dungeon, the wilderness, or the city, don't let the momentum slack. Adults can often get into deep conversations. Unless the youngster is especially interested in such, keep the combat action or exploration dangerous, moving, and dynamic.

(3) Build in time for them to shop and learn about equipment.

I scheduled rest-spots, and incorporated time sections where we could kill twenty-thirty minutes while the boys shopped for new armour, compared stats, and gloated over how great their new weapon was. They loved it!

(4) Integrate Time for them to talk with and relate to some of the strange creatures and races.

The boys just went nuts talking to Trolls, and negotiating with the Dwarves of Vandaghar. They were amazed at encountering flocks of red birds that talked, and elephant grass that lashed at them like long razor blades! They thought it was fun to talk to Ents, and to find strange, magical fruits.

(5) Use lots of mythology, classic creatures, color, and direct plots.

The plot was straight-forward, and quite successful. The kids loved it. These are some things that I have found to be successful.

Semper Fidelis,

SHARK

Moe Ronalds

First Post
Pokemon is kinda like D&D for younger kids... almost

Both have Monsters

Both have Dungeons

Both have freaky Abilities when you get stronger

With both, you have a team. In D&D, a team of characters
In Pokemon, it's a team of helium-breathing mutants.

Both have some sort of "types" that lots of Pokemon/Characters share. Types (Fire, Water, Ice, Normal, Etc...) for pokemon, and Classes (Fighter, Wizard, Rogue, Cleric, Etc...) for characters.

Both are considered Geeky or immature

Of course, none of this will interest many kids now, but an 8 year old may be happy with this sorta thing.

WSmith

First Post
I love this topic. My daughter is getting close to gaming age.

*Consider the (I know someone will say something kooky, but here goes :D ) Pokemon KO rule. Instead of dying at 0-(-10), have the character knocked unconscious. The reasons are twofold. First, it allows them, as newbe players, to grow accustomed to their first character, and concentrate on the story and not rules such as dying, stabalization, etc. and might alleviate some of the disappointment of character death. I know, bad things happen, bad things shouldn't be avoided, I sound weak right? I am not saying that if they jump the top of a citadel they should survive (saving vs. death type situations). But, most normal damage inflicted could be done as subdual, not real.

I support even further with second reason. Since 3rd edition/d20 does not have a fast and clean character generation system in an abridged form (which I am still working on, hopefully soon guys :D), similar to Basic D&D, character death would mean taking time away from gaming and rolling up a new character. You want to keep the action flowing. There will be plenty of Character death later on, but for their first few sessions, try to keep them interesed. Besides, they might get tired of being knocked out and waking up in a giant size bird cage suspended several hundred feet above the checkered pattern marble floor. ;)

There are a couple of things I was considering for a pre-teen type game.

*Limit classes to arcane spellcasters for the PCs. Even if they want to be a fighter, that can come later with the easy multiclassing rules. In the first few tabletop games I played, I shyed away from magic-users cause I was not certain of the spell rules. Anyone can run a fighter, but to run a low HP, highly talented character takes a little practice. When they get the hang of the magic system, open up other classes.

Note: when I say arcane spellcasters, I mean wizards, sorcerers, AND bards. These classes allow the DM to craft situations that don't neccisarily lead to drawing steel. It allows them to find creative ways to best opponents. Instead of killing the guard of the captured princess, cast sleep, or darkness, etc.

The bard is very useful to pick up the slack in skills that the Wiz/Soc cannot have. Using the Pied Piper as inspiration, perhaps while the are adventuring the country side, then encounter a village where there is an infestation of giant rats or toads. The bard can use his music magic some how, to help the village and gain notority.

*If not using the above classes rule, consider one, (or two or three, but not too, too many) spells that all characters can cast. One staple of fairy tales if being put to sleep.

*If not using that rule, consider all classes able to use scrolls. The whole idea is to make them comfortable with the magic system.

*Use non-standard locations themselves to fascinate players. Imagine the bird cage above, a floating cloud castle, a giant city made of jade/gold/glass/etc., an underwater domed city, castles that only appear when the moon is full, etc. This age group may find it easiler to suspend disbeilief before they get old, jaded and cynical like us. ;)

*Consider the focus of adventure trying to return home after some surprising event, such as a tornado, getting absorbed into a mirror, or lost in a snow storm only to come into a tropical clearing.

*Make all adversarial monsters nocturnal. They have all day to roam the countryside, but they better be near a castle by sundown, as camping is very, very dangerious!

*From the other big changes thread, make all magic items unique and give them each a name. There can only be one Caliph's flying carpet, or Short sword of spider's bane.

*Use lots of aerial encounters. Perhaps the campaign is set on a giant archepeligo, (sp.), and the most efficient way to travel from between islands is mounted on giant eagles, or flying carpets, or brooms of flying.

*Eliminate spell componets and in their place, make the requirment of an arcane focus item for all spells. Make the focus item different for individuals. One character uses a wand, one a staff, one a medallion, etc. Perhaps this is the motive for their first adventure, to find it, (like finding a familiar.)

I am sure I can think of more and will post them.

Dr Midnight

Explorer
It occurs to me that we should have Basic D&D, or BD&D (of course). Right now I believe the most basic system we have is the boxed set rules, right? I think even those are too complicated for the ages we're talking about. Some ideas:

-no stat numbers, only the bonuses. Your Strength isn't 16, it's 3. etc...

-very basic classes and races. As discussed in many other threads: knight, thief, wizard, archer, fairy...

-Ooh, hey, instead of using a battlemat or grid layout at all, how about simplified wargames-type rules using large areas, perhaps the floor? The entire room could be what's around them, and they'd use action figures to represent their characters. Just a thought.

I'd really like to see someone come up with a standard set of basic rules. Personally, I'd like it much more than the endless middle-earth/space/horror games we see people burning their spare time with.

S'mon

Legend
A lot of the ideas in this thread - fantastic, wondrous settings; mysterious, unique magical items, and such - seem like excellent ideas for players of any age.

mmadsen

First Post
A lot of the ideas in this thread - fantastic, wondrous settings; mysterious, unique magical items, and such - seem like excellent ideas for players of any age.

Shhh, S'mon. We're not supposed to spring that on them until later! (I hope they didn't hear us...)

Remove ads