Good Module Design/Layout

Umbra

First Post
G'day all,

Everyone has different ideas about what makes up a good module. Some like full stat blocks in text, some at the end, some only a summary if its in the monster manual as was recently discussed in the Monte Reviews Dungeon thread. Some like color maps, others something easily copyable. Apart from the actual story idea and how its implemented, what do you think makes a good module or what would you like but haven't seen.

I'm a lazy DM and hate trying to track elements down/flip pages so with that in mind here are some obvious(?) starters from me:

:) Clear structure
:) Well edited
:) Summary Stat blocks with the text but a pullout/separate booklet with full stats.
:) Clear NPC motivations and suggested roleplay hook (deep voiced, etc - so I can keep track who i gave the twitch to.)
:) Illustrations that a) match the text, b) don't give away secrets, c) help set the atmosphere and d) I can show the players without trying to cover up three quarters of a page
:) Player handouts
:) Clues and other plot/problem solving items clearly highlighted.
:) An index of these crucial clues and items and where to find them.

With the last two, I would like a line or two right after the location title with a brief description. eg:

13. Guard Room
* Rune Key, Map to Level 2

And then in the index (which can be in small font so it needn't take up too much space):

Rune Key 13. Guard Room

What are your suggestions?

stevelabny

Explorer
my new pet peeve afte playing through 4 of the first 5 WOTC 3e modules is...

identify locked doors and traps in the description of the HALLWAY. not on the inside of the room.

Remove ads