Guys playing girls (chime in, ladies)

IdentityCrisis

First Post
I'm a man, but I'm thinking of running a female character in a PbP campaign (here). I've had female characters a couple of times before but never seriously attempted to roleplay them *as* females, and I'd like to stretch my RP muscles a bit.

So ladies, at the risk of starting a flame war ( :p ) I'm asking you all to help me out here. Any insights into the female psyche you want to share? Anything you typically see men doing with female characters that strikes you as wrong?

Last edited:

mhacdebhandia

Explorer
I'm male, but I play in a game with another guy whose PC is female.

The one main problem that I see with his portrayal is that, in trying to play "female", what he actually achieves is "genderless". There are no clues that one could pick up from the character's personality that indicate she's a woman; she's not a male character in a funny suit, either, she's just devoid of gender traits.

I don't mean to imply that there are distinct and precise categories of gender-based behaviour and traits, but the biggest indication this PC is female is that she's an Aes Sedai in the Wheel of Time setting. :p

My advice to you would be to model your character's personality, as much as is possible, after someone you know. It may sound lame but it's as good a hook as any for learning to play someone very different from yourself.

Fingol

First Post
My advise is: flirt like there is no tomorrow. Not just with the NPCs but with the PCs too. Roleplay a bit, put on a deep sexy voice, dress up for the occasion (I'm sure you have all talked about what type of clothing you find sexy on a girl), put your hand on your mate's knee, give it a good squeeze, pat it a bit. Then write back to tell us how it went. I'd love to hear how that experience enriched the relationship with your gaming buddies. At the very least I'd like to hear a good juicy story that we can all chuckle over.

Buttercup

Princess of Florin
IdentityCrisis said:
Anything you typically see men doing with female characters that strikes you as wrong?
Flirting all the time, being oversexed, trying to solve all problems with sex. Many men play female characters like caricatures. It's annoying and icky.

Now, I'm not saying that a female PC should never use her...abilities...to get her way. Just not all the time. The fighter I play in Steve Creech's game once dressed up as a prostitute so that she could pass unnoticed (at least, unnoticed as a fighter), but she *isn't* a prostitute. She hasn't actually let anyone touch her. She's very good at combat, just as you would expect a fighter to be.

In other words, playing a female PC is more like playing a male PC than it is different.

Keeper of Secrets

First Post
I would imagine that a good GM would be able to play female well. After all, if the person has lots of GMing experience then they should have no problem as a player playing the role of a female.

vulcan_idic

Explorer
I'm male.

mhacdebhandia said:
The one main problem that I see with his portrayal is that, in trying to play "female", what he actually achieves is "genderless". There are no clues that one could pick up from the character's personality that indicate she's a woman; she's not a male character in a funny suit, either, she's just devoid of gender traits.

My immediate thought upon reading this was, "So what the heck would appropriate 'gender traits' be?" The venerable mhacdebhandia makes the complaint that "There are no clues that one could pick up from the character's personality that indicate she's a woman" - to which I ask what personality clues from real people - once biological factors are removed (a forum like this being a good example) - cause you to assume a person's gender? In a high school english class we had an interesting example of this... we did an interest survey - favorite colors, movies, books, etc. - under a pseudonym, as did another class. The surveys were then taken and handed out randomly in the other class and each person was required to guess the gender of the other person based on their responses and make a case for why they thought this was the case. It was a rather fascinating look into the world of gender identity. The results as I recall (it has been many years) were no better than random chance of correctly selecting the correct gender. The reasoning was full of stereotypes: if the individual had neat hadwriting they were assumed to be female. Also if they preferred swimming as a sport to football, or baseball, they were commonly assigned a female gender. There were more examples but it has been far too long since since for me to remember more. So I would ask Mr. mhacdebhandia to provide samples of "female" gender traits.

I applaud Buttercup's response to Fingol's Advice - I was going to say something quite similar.

In general, being from a theatrical background, I would advise not roleplaying so much as <I'm a female, what would a female do> as going for a more specific approach. <I'm [Character Name]. What would [Character Name] do?> What has your character's background been? What events in her (or his - this applies equally) life have had particular influence on her (or him)? Have any of these experiences been gender specific - i.e. discrimination? If so then perhaps that could be a gender specific trait like Mr. mhacdebhandia has alluded to. If her the most significant experiences in her life have nothing to do with gender then they likely overshadow any natural gender specific tendencies (if such a thing exists - the last I read, the jury is still out on that). Play the character, not the gender... or the race, or the class, etc. - you're an individual, not a stereotype.

Last edited:

rounser

First Post
I would advise not roleplaying so much as <I'm a female, what would a female do> as going for a more specific approach. <I'm [Character Name]. What would [Character Name] do?>
Actually, although off-topic, I think there's a PC in there somewhere...e.g. a paladin (either gender) who's always trying to emulate a hero figure/role model who they look up to, by asking what they'd do in their place, and using that as a yardstick for their actions.

Quite a strong PC concept, actually...and what happens when they finally meet their idol, and find out they're not what they thought they were?

The_Gunslinger658

First Post
Hi-

If your gonna play a female character watch the movie "The Messenger" Its about Joan of Arc and is a fantastic movie indeed. When I DM, that movie is for me, the prime example of how to role-play a female and not be offensive.

Scott

Thanee

First Post
Just avoid over-stereotypicism (is that even a word? :)).

Not every female is a vamp, not every male is a dumb musclebound barbarian, not every dwarf is a grumpy drunk and not ever halfling is a thief. There are some that fit the stereotypes and there are others, who do not. There is as much diversity as everywhere else.

Bye
Thanee

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases