More "meta-RPG" threads than "game-RPG" threads?

dreaded_beast

First Post
IMO, the General RPG forums has been having a lot of threads dealing with the lifestyle, industry, and people of the RPG hobby. It seems as if threads dealing with these topics garner more attention, while threads dealing with campaign-building, adventure-running, gameplay, etc. are not given as much attention.

Do you think that people here at EN World are becoming more interested in "meta-RPG" matters rather than gameplay issues?

In my opinion, I have seen a few threads on the General RPG forums asking for advice or help with running campaigns, adventures, etc., largely be ignored in favor of more "'meta" threads.

Do you think this will continue for long? Maybe a new forum mainly for gameplay issues, such as campaigns, plots, story ideas, etc. (not the same as the Rules Forum) is in order.

*Shrug*

More of us share gaming in common than particular campaign, adventure, or rules experiences, so it stands to reason that those threads will get more traffic. "Advise me on running an underwater campaign" may only reach a fairly small subset of the audience, while "Why am I obsessed with dice" anyone can relate to.

Shouoldn't this be in Meta? :)

EricNoah

Adventurer
Industry, in particular, is always going to be a big topic here, as we tend to be relatively well-informed about such things. Plus with the ENnies and GenCon so fresh in the mind, thoughts naturually turn that way. It comes and goes with the flow of industry news.

As to why some kinds of threads get less attention ... could be human laziness? :) Maybe folks find it easier to chime in about weird dice habits or personality problems than it is to come up with a creative solution to a D&D need.

dreaded_beast

First Post
EricNoah said:
As to why some kinds of threads get less attention ... could be human laziness? :) Maybe folks find it easier to chime in about weird dice habits or personality problems than it is to come up with a creative solution to a D&D need.

True. I a get like that way too often. Many times I would read the thread, but not have anything "meaningful" to contribute.

I'm not saying that it is a bad thing if people prefer discussing particular RPG topics over another, hopefully that's not how I came accross. However, maybe it would help threads that deal with "campaign" topics to have it's own forum. That way, it wouldn't get bumped down so quickly by the proliferation of other threads. Just an idea. :D

I think Olgar made a good point as to why certain topics are more popular than others. I would find little interest in an "underwater" campaign, having never played one or care to play one. However, anecdotes about dice are usually interesting to read for me.

Turanil

First Post
I agree with you. People seems to me to be much more interested (IMO) in giving their opinion and arguing over useless discussions, than giving ideas and advice then requested. Personally I always try to answer something (if I can) about campaign / adventures / etc. questions, especially since it can give me ideas for my own campaign.

I think it would be cool to have 2 forums: one for meta-gaming discussions ("Why Eberron Sucks" types of threads, which IMO in themselves are useless but attracts many people), and one for campaign advice ("Idea for a cloud castle adventure anyone?" which are more useful, at least to me). However, I fear that many people would mistake one for the other.

Just my 2 cp of course. Maybe some of you love those "Why Eberron Sucks" types of threads after all... ;)

Remove ads