Is it time to corral AI threads?

Marc Radle

Legend
It’s an important enough topic that I think it should not be brushed aside into one single thread.

And it is RPG related - AI has the very real potential to take jobs from RPG writers, RPG designers, and RPG artists, which means affecting real, actual people who work hard to make the RPG games we all love.

Relegating them all to one single thread might make it easier for folks to ignore the problem, but it will not make the problem go away.

Scribe

Legend
the one + AI thread quickly died since no one wanted to talk about the positives.

Interesting.

It’s an important enough topic that I think it should not be brushed aside into one single thread.

And it is RPG related - AI has the very real potential to take jobs from RPG writers, RPG designers, and RPG artists, which means affecting real, actual people who work hard to make the RPG games we all love.

Relegating them all to one single thread might make it easier for folks to ignore the problem, but it will not make the problem go away.

Yeah I would imagine that that downward pressure (as one person can now do multiple things on a project) will just mean less jobs for humans in the RPG space over time.

Scribe

Legend
here it is

Yeah I had seen it. The concept of just having AI generate text that matches what the user already wants doesnt seem fulfilling from a discovery point of view. Its like the images it generates now. Its really just giving us what we want, based on the common denominators of what exists in the vast collection of other peoples work that it has consumed.

Unsurprisingly, I dont think the long term prospects are great, its like the bad software glut of the late 90s.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
tbh, any AI thread will just be the same folks hashing over the fact that it's "evil" "bad" "unethical" the one + AI thread quickly died since no one wanted to talk about the positives.

It’s curious that your objection wasn’t ‘AI stuff is taking over the forum’ but rather ‘people disagree with me’.

Last edited:

It’s curious that your objection wasn’t ‘AI stuff is taking over the forum’ but rather ‘people disagree with me’.
so currently, there's two AI discussions in the area that I stay (geek media)...both have the same dciussions...is there really a need for two threads with the same issues?

I don't see the need for duplication. But it's your site.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
so currently, there's two AI discussions in the area that I stay (geek media)...both have the same dciussions...is there really a need for two threads with the same issues?

I don't see the need for duplication. But it's your site.
There’s no need, no. And we do sometimes merge threads, especially if one is a news article. But we lean towards letting people have the conversations they want to have and not shutting voices down if they’re not breaking the rules or being disruptive. You can choose not to read them if they don’t interest you. If they do become disruptive we will consider options, but I do not believe that we have reached that stage yet.

Maybe we will. AI is going to dominate the zeitgeist more and more, so probably. But right now, we’re happy to let it ride and see what happens. Next week or next month or next year, things might be different.

aco175

Legend
Wizard Of Oz GIF
Says the AI !

There’s no need, no. And we do sometimes merge threads, especially if one is a news article. But we lean towards letting people have the conversations they want to have and not shutting voices down if they’re not breaking the rules or being disruptive. You can choose not to read them if they don’t interest you. If they do become disruptive we will consider options, but I do not believe that we have reached that stage yet.

Maybe we will. AI is going to dominate the zeitgeist more and more, so probably. But right now, we’re happy to let it ride and see what happens. Next week or next month or next year, things might be different.
So, I have a question is semi-related to the on going discussion of AI, can we get a relaxation on the no politics rule in the geek media, otherwise all of the AI threads basically become "eww evil unethical capitalism, I have a replacement but I can't tell you" and I'd honestly want to know what the replacement is.

Remove ads