• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Demons/daemons/devils, New/Converted

Pants

First Post
ALKILITH
Large Outsider (Chaotic, Evil, Extraplanar, Tanar’ri)
Hit Dice: 14d8+84 (147 hp)
Initiative: +8
Speed: 40 ft. (8 squares)
Armor Class: 27 (-1 size, +8 Dex, +10 natural), touch 17, flat-footed 19
Base Attack/Grapple: +14/+23
Attack: Slam +22 melee (3d4+5 plus 1d8 acid)
Full Attack: 4 slams +22 melee (3d4+5 plus 1d8 acid)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./10 ft.
Special Attacks: Acid, cloudkill form, command ooze, spell-like abilities, summon ooze, summon tanar’ri
Special Qualities: Amorphous, damage reduction 10/good and piercing, darkvision 60 ft., immunity to acid, electricity, and poison, resistance to cold 10 and fire 10, spell resistance 22, telepathy 100 ft.
Saves: Fort +15, Ref +17, Will +12
Abilities: Str 20, Dex 27, Con 23, Int 16, Wis 16, Cha 20
Skills: Bluff +22, Concentration +23, Escape Artist +25, Hide +21, Intimidate +24, Listen +20, Move Silently +21, Search +24, Spot +24, Survival +20 (+22 when following tracks), Tumble +25
Feats: Combat Expertise, Combat Reflexes, Improved Disarm, Weapon Finesse, Weapon Focus (slam)
Environment: Infinite Layers of the Abyss
Organization: Solitary, pair, or group (2-5)
Challenge Rating: 14
Treasure: Double standard
Alignment: Always chaotic evil
Advancement: 15-28 HD (large); 29-42 HD (huge)

Sitting before you is a revolting mass of decaying matter. Pus, cancerous growths, and multitudes of eyes dot this undulating body of pure corruption. Despite its odd appearance, it moves quickly with an almost sickening grace, launching itself into battle with its flailing pseudopods.

Alkiliths live in the deepest, most foul pits in the Abyss, treading where even other demons are loathe to tread. The serve the demonic lord Juiblex, the Slime Lord, and are often found slurping and befouling everything in his layer, the Slime Pits.
Alkilith are often sent on missions to other planes both as assassins and to serve a more foul and specific purpose: to spread the corruption of the Abyss. The live to corrupt all that is good and beautiful with their ichoric pseudopods.
Alkiliths take the form of an undulating mass with a diameter of around 7 feet, which weighs roughly 400 pounds.

COMBAT
Alkiliths are intelligent and wary opponents who use their spell-like abilities to best affect. They also use their summon ooze ability at the first opportunity and let their summoned help do all the work while they get into a position to threaten as many foes as possible before unleashing a flurry of pseudopod attacks.
An alkilith’s natural weapons, as well as any weapons it wields, are treated as chaotic-aligned and evil-aligned for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction.
Acid (Ex): An alkilith’s pseudopods are coated in a slick, disgusting acid. Anyone struck by an alkilith’s slam attack takes an additional 1d8 points of damage and must make a Reflex save (DC 23) or the victim’s armor takes 1d8 points of acid damage. The save DC is Constitution based.
Amorphous (Ex): An alkilith is not subject to critical hits. It cannot be flanked. Alkiliths are also immune to the effects of harmful gases such as stinking cloud or cloudkill.
Cloudkill Form (Su): As a full-round action, an alkilith can transform itself into a state similar to that of a gaseous form spell. Those inside the cloud suffer as if under the affect of a cloudkill spell (caster level 14th, Fort save DC 23). The alkilith can switch back to its normal form as a full-round action. The save DC is Constitution based.
Command Ooze (Sp): As a standard action, an alkilith can command any ooze within 60 feet. This is otherwise similar to a dominate monster spell. The ooze is allowed a Will save (DC 22) to resist the control. This effect ignores an ooze’s mindless quality. The save DC is Charisma based.
Spell-like Abilities: At will – contagion (DC 19), dispel magic, enervation, greater teleport (self plus 50 pounds of objects only), melf’s acid arrow, stinking cloud (DC 18), wall of ice; 3/day – cone of cold (DC 20), unholy blight (DC 19); 1/day – blasphemy (DC 22), polar ray, slime wave* (DC 22). Caster level 14th. The save DC’s are Charisma based.
Summon Ooze (Sp): Once per day, an alkilith can automatically summon 1d4 gelatinous cubes, 1d3 ochre jellies, or 1 black pudding. This is the equivalent of a 6th level spell.
Summon Tanar’ri (Sp): Once per day, an alkilith can attempt to summon 1d3 chasme or 1 hezrou with a 60% chance of success. This is the equivalent of a 6th level spell.
See Invisibility (Su): Alkilith have a continuous see invisibility ability, as the spell (caster level 14th).
Skills: Due to its many eyes, an alkilith receives a +4 racial bonus on Spot and Search checks.
* See Masters of the Wild.

Last edited:

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
I like that alkilith. A lot. Nice selection of slime wave as a spell-like; although I usually don't like non-core materials used in conversions, etc., the spell definately fits. I assume that the dominate ooze ability overrides the mindlessness of oozes? If so, you might want to include clarifications to that effect.

I also really like the heragu. Sundering bite and shattering skin... that's a mean monster right there. I'm sure a lot of players will rue crossing their path. Especially since I do have a place for one of them...

Demiurge out.

Pants

First Post
demiurge1138 said:
I like that alkilith. A lot. Nice selection of slime wave as a spell-like; although I usually don't like non-core materials used in conversions, etc., the spell definately fits.
I try to keep most of my conversions as Core as possible, thus I'm sometimes wrangling with whether I should include a certain Feat or Spell in my conversion because of it not being Core material. Occasionally I will, but I doubt that it will become a regular thing, so I wouldn't worry.

I assume that the dominate ooze ability overrides the mindlessness of oozes? If so, you might want to include clarifications to that effect.
I assumed it would be obvious, but what's obvious to me isn't obvious to everyone else...

I also really like the heragu. Sundering bite and shattering skin... that's a mean monster right there. I'm sure a lot of players will rue crossing their path. Especially since I do have a place for one of them...

Demiurge out.
I'd love to hear how player's fared against my monsters. Whether they were too weak or too powerful. Anything like that. :D
I know that Sepulchrave's players near tore through my Yugoloths (with a lot of luck it seemed...), but I'm always interesed in those anecdotes.

Pants

First Post
CHASME
Large Outsider (Chaotic, Evil, Extraplanar, Tanar’ri)
Hit Dice: 10d8+70 (115 hp)
Initiative: +4
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares), fly 60 ft. (perfect)
Armor Class: 24 (-1 size, +4 Dex, +11 natural), touch 13, flat-footed 20
Base Attack/Grapple: +10/+24
Attack: Claw +15 melee (1d8+6)
Full Attack: 2 claws +15 melee (1d8+6) and bite +13 melee (1d6+3) and nose gore +13 melee (4d4+3 plus abyssal wound)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Abyssal wound, blood drain, drone, fear aura, improved grab, spell-like abilities, summon tanar’ri
Special Qualities: Damage reduction 10/good, darkvision 60 ft., immunity to electricity and poison, resistance to acid 10, and cold 10 and fire 10, see invisibility, spell resistance 19, telepathy 100 ft.
Saves: Fort +14, Ref +11, Will +9
Abilities: Str 23, Dex 19, Con 25, Int 14, Wis 14, Cha 18
Skills: Bluff +17, Concentration +20, Diplomacy +21, Intimidate +19, Knowledge (the planes) +15, Listen +15, Search +15, Sense Motive +15, Spellcraft +17, Spot +15, Survival +2 (+4 on other planes and when following tracks)
Feats: Flyby Attack, Multiattack, Power Attack, Wingover
Organization: Solitary, pair, gang (2-5), or squad (1-2 chasme, 1-6 rutterkin, and 2d10 dretch)
Challenge Rating: 11
Treasure: Standard
Advancement: 11-20 HD (large); 21-30 HD (huge)

This creature resembles a gross cross between a human and a fly. Its head vaguely resembles that of a human’s, however it is fiercely ugly and a long, pincer-like horn takes the place of the nose. Out of its six legs, its two front forelegs end in elongated claw-like hands. Its body is a mottled gray and flesh color, with tufts of wiry hair decorating its exoskeleton in seemingly random places. Its wings buzz hypnotically and you almost feel like its time for a nice nap…

The chasme are gross human-fly hybrids and their ‘job’ is to seek out and punish those demons that flee from the duties of the Blood War. However, like most demons (except for maybe the molydeus), the chasme very rarely stick to their job and instead fly about, inflicting pain on all those weaker than themselves. Because of their part in the war effort, the chasme live in the somewhat protective shadows of the more powerful demons. Thus, the chasme are fiercely hated by the lower rung demons, but they can’t really do much about it…
Chasme stretch about 8 feet long and weigh about 500 pounds

COMBAT
Chasme are competent and wily opponents. They initiate combat with their Drone ability, attempting to put as many of their foes to sleep as possible. Then they use their blood drain against the helpless foes and if things get really hairy, they aren’t above taking their sleeping foes and flying away for a nice, fleshy treat!
A chasme’s natural weapons, as well as any weapons it wields, are treated as chaotic-aligned and evil-aligned for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction.
Abyssal Wound (Su): The damage a chasme deals with its nose gore attack causes a persistent wound. An injured creature loses 2 additional hit point each round. The wound does not heal naturally and resists healing spells. The continuing hit point loss can be stopped by a DC 22 Heal check, a cure spell, or a heal spell. However, a character attempting to cast a cure spell or a heal spell on a creature damaged by a chasme’s nose gore must succeed on a DC 22 caster level check, or the spell has no effect on the injured character.
A successful Heal check automatically stops the continuing hit point loss as well as restoring hit points. The check DC is Constitution-based.
Blood Drain (Ex): If a chasme successfully pins an opponent, it can attempt to drink its blood, dealing 1d2 points of Constitution damage each round the pin is maintained. On each successful blood drain, the chasme gains 5 temporary hit points.
Drone (Su): As a full-round action, the chasme can vibrate its wings creating a monotonous, sleep-inducing sound. Any creature within 60 ft. that hears the chasme droning must make a Will save (DC 19) or fall asleep for 2d10 rounds. This is otherwise similar to a sleep spell, although there is no Hit Dice limit. This is a sonic, mind-affecting effect. A creature that successfully saves cannot be affected again by the same chasme’s drone for 24 hours. The save DC is Charisma based.
Fear Aura (Su): A chasme can radiate a 10-foot-radius fear aura as a free action. A creature in the area must succeed on a DC 19 Will save or be affected as though by a fear spell (caster level 10th). A creature that successfully saves cannot be affected again by the same chasme’s fear aura for 24 hours. The save DC is Charisma based.
Improved Grab (Ex): To use this ability, the chasme must hit a foe with both claw attacks. It can then attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity.
Spell-Like Abilities: At will – contagion (DC 17), darkness, dispel magic, greater teleport (self plus 50 pounds of objects only), insect plague, ray of enfeeblement, telekinesis (DC 19); 3/day – stinking cloud (DC 17), unholy blight (DC 18); 1/day – lightning bolt (DC 17). Caster level 10th. The save DC’s are Charisma based.
Summon Tanar’ri (Sp): Once per day, a chasme can attempt to summon 1d10 dretch, 1d4 rutterkin or another chasme with a 50% chance of success. This is the equivalent of a 4th level spell.
See Invisibility (Su): Chasme have a continuous see invisibility ability, as the spell (caster level 10th).

Last edited:

Pants

First Post
Here's a fun one.
I redid the Babau eventhough it has been 'officially' converted to 3.5 mostly because the conversion sucked. All of the neat abilities that the Babau had were nixed for whatever reason and the conversion in the BoVD just didn't have it at the right power level. So I offer this conversion. This one can be used as a sort of Greater Babau if you liked the lower power one and you want to use this one or it can be used as a complete replacement.

BABAU
Medium Outsider (Chaotic, Evil, Extraplanar, Tanar’ri)
Hit Dice: 12d8+84 (138 hp)
Initiative: +7
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares)
Armor Class: 31 (+7 Dex, +14 natural), touch 17, flat-footed 24
Base Attack/Grapple: +12/+17
Attack: Claw +19 melee (1d6+5) or +2 ranseur +19 melee (2d4+9)
Full Attack: 2 claws +19 melee (1d6+5) and bite +17 melee (1d8+2) or +2 ranseur +19/+14/+9 melee (2d4+9)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft. (10 ft. with +2 ranseur)
Special Attacks: Sneak attack +5d6, spell-like abilities, summon tanar’ri, weakening gaze
Special Qualities: Corrosive slime, damage reduction 10/bludgeoning and good, darkvision 60 ft., immunity to acid and electricity and poison, resistance to cold 10 and fire 10, see invisibility, spell resistance 21, telepathy 100 ft.
Saves: Fort +15, Ref +15, Will +12
Abilities: Str 21, Dex 25, Con 25, Int 18, Wis 18, Cha 20
Skills: Bluff +12, Concentration +22, Escape Artist +22, Hide +22, Intimidate +22, Knowledge (the planes) +19, Listen +19, Move Silently +22, Search +19, Sense Motive +19, Spellcraft +14, Spot +17, Tumble +22
Feats: Dodge, Combat Reflexes, Mobility, Multiattack, Weapon Finesse
Organization: Solitary, pair, or squad (2 babau and 1d8 rutterkin)
Challenge Rating: 13
Treasure: Standard plus +2 ranseur
Advancement: 13-36 HD (medium)

Before you stands a black-skinned, emaciated humanoid. Covering its leather-tight skin is a strange, blood-red goo that seems to seep from its very pores. Its two arms end in a pair of long, thin, clawed hands and a curved horn protrudes from the top of its head. Its pointed ears jut above the top of its bald head.

The babau serve as sort of lesser recruiters for the demonic armies. That is, they go around and bully all of the lesser demons into joining the war. Those that refuse either die at the deft, clawed hands of the babau or are sent to the babau’s masters as ‘playthings.’ As such, the lesser demons hate the babau with a searing passion.
Babaus also manage to make their way in Abyssal politics as assassins, spies, or elite strike teams. Babaus usually attack with their terrible claws and bites, but occasionally they employ magical weapons (50% of the time). In that case they usually favor weapons that make use of their quick reflexes or weapons with exceptional reach.
A babau is roughly 6 feet tall and it weighs 140 pounds.

COMBAT
Babau are sneaky and cunning. They usually employ quick, surprise attacks against the seemingly most powerful foe before retreating and trying again. They make excellent use of their multiple weapons and their ability to sneak attack.
A babau’s natural weapons, as well as any weapons it wields, are treated as chaotic-aligned and evil-aligned for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction.
Corrosive Slime (Ex): A slimy red jelly coats the babau’s skin. Any weapon that touches it takes 1d8 points of acid damage from the corrosive goo, and the weapon’s hardness does not reduce this damage. A magic weapon may attempt a DC 20 Reflex save to avoid taking this damage. A creature who strikes the babau with an unarmed attack, unarmed strike, touch spell, or natural weapon takes this damage as well but can negate the damage with a DC 20 Reflex save. The save DC’s are Constitution-based.
Sneak Attack (Ex): A babau can make a sneak attack like a 9th-level rogue, dealing an extra 5d6 points of damage whenever a foe is denied his or her Dexterity bonus, or when the babau is flanking.
Spell-Like Abilities: At will – darkness, dispel magic, fear (DC 19), fly, greater teleport (self plus 50 pounds of objects only), heat metal (DC 17), invisibility (self only), polymorph (self only); 3/day – phantasmal killer (DC 19); 1/day – power word blind. Caster level 14th. The save DC’s are Charisma based.
Summon Tanar’ri (Sp): Twice per day, a babau can attempt to summon 1d4 rutterkin, 1d3 bar-lgura or another babau with a 40% chance of success. This is the equivalent of a 5th level spell.
Weakening Gaze (Su): 1d3 points of Strength damage, range 20 ft. Fortitude save DC 20 negates. The save DC is Charisma based.
See Invisibility (Su): Babau have a continuous see invisibility ability, as the spell (caster level 14th).

Last edited:

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
I like the neo-babau (greater babau, perhaps?), but I much prefer the chasme. One question, though; are you going to convert the rutterkin as well? Or are you content to leave them as they stand in the BoVD?

Oh, I got the opportunity to playtest one of your demons in my last session. Not the heragu (that'll have some time to wait- I like to plan ahead), but the "palarthie". An 8th level party, in unusual terrain (fighting around a portal to Pandemonium), was challenged, expending a good number of party resources without any fatalities. I'd say that it was a solid CR 8.

Demiurge out.

Pants

First Post
demiurge1138 said:
One question, though; are you going to convert the rutterkin as well? Or are you content to leave them as they stand in the BoVD?
Yes, both the Rutterkin and Bar-lgura will be updated. They will likely recieve very little in the way of changed abilities other than added feats and skill points. Both seem fairly good challenges for their CR.

Pants

First Post
Glad the palarthie worked out good demiurge ;)

GORISTRO
Huge Outsider (Chaotic, Evil, Extraplanar, Tanar'ri)
Hit Dice: 16d8+192 (264 hp)
Initiative: +0
Speed: 50 ft. (10 squares)
Armor Class: 22 (-2 size, +14 natural), touch 8, flat-footed 22
Base Attack/Grapple: +16/+33
Attack: Slam +23 melee (2d8+9) or rock +14 ranged (2d8+9)
Full Attack: 2 slams +23 melee (2d8+9) and gore +18 melee (2d8+4) or rock +14 ranged (2d8+9)
Space/Reach: 15 ft./15 ft.
Special Attacks: Powerful charge 6d6+13, rock throwing, spell-like abilities, stomp
Special Qualities: Damage reduction 10/good, darkvision 60 ft., fast healing 5, immunity to electricity and poison, resistance to acid 10 and cold 10 and fire 10, rock catching, see invisibility, spell resistance 22, telepathy 100 ft.
Saves: Fort +22, Ref +10, Will +12
Abilities: Str 29, Dex 10, Con 35, Int 6, Wis 14, Cha 12
Skills: Climb +28, Concentration +31, Intimidate +20, Jump +28, Listen +21, Spot +21
Feats: Awesome Blow, Cleave, Great Cleave, Improved Bull Rush, Improved Overrun, Power Attack
Organization: Solitary or pair
Challenge Rating: 14
Treasure: None
Advancement: 16-32 HD (huge); 33-48 HD (gargantuan)

This creature looks like a cross between a human and a bison. Its thickly muscled body is covered in brown, almost black, hair. Two curved horns protrude from the top of its bison head. Instead of feet it has a pair of cloven hooves. It glares at you and hunches down, almost as if its just getting ready to charge.

The goristro are the walking siege weaponry of the Abyss. They are strong, excessively tough, built for fighting, and very stupid. In fact, if there weren’t any stronger demons, the goristro would be content to eat, kill each other, and commit random acts of excessive violence. As it is, the molydeus, mariliths, and balors keep the goristro at the front lines, where they are more likely to deal more damage to their enemies than their own troops.
Goristro stand 18 feet tall and weigh 6,000 pounds.

COMBAT
Goristro are simpleminded opponents who rarely – if ever – use anything beyond the simple ‘hit it till it dies’ tactic. They use their spell-like abilities rarely and usually only if commanded by their more powerful commanders.
A goristro’s natural weapons, as well as any weapons it wields, are treated as chaotic-aligned and evil-aligned for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction.
Powerful Charge (Ex): A goristro typically begins a battle with a charge at an opponent, lowering its head to bring its curved horns into play. In addition to the normal benefits and hazards of a charge, this allows the demon to make a single gore attack with a +23 attack bonus that deals 6d6+13 points of damage.
Rock Catching (Ex): The goristro can attempt to catch rocks hurled at him by making a DC 20 reflex save as a free action. The goristro must be ready and aware in order to catch the rocks. If the rocks have a magical bonus on attack rolls, the DC increases by that amount.
Rock Throwing (Ex): A goristro is adept at throwing rocks weighing 60 pounds. The rocks have a range increment of 140 feet.
Spell-Like Abilities: At will – greater teleport (self plus 50 pounds of objects only), scare (DC 13). Caster level 10th. The save DC’s are Charisma based.
Stomp (Su): As a standard action three times per day, the goristro can stamp on of its cloven feet, causing a great shockwave to erupt outward from it in a 60 ft. radius. Anyone within the area must make a Reflex save (DC 30) or be knocked prone. The shock lasts for one round. Any creatures of large size or smaller attempting to move must make a Balance check (DC 30) or fall prone. Creatures that succeed can move at only half speed and take a -6 penalty on all attack rolls, AC, and reflex saves. Any spellcasters attempting to cast a spell must succeed at a Concentration check (DC 20 + spell level) or lose the spell.
The shockwave deals 10d8 points of damage to structures in the radius, which ignores up to 10 hardness. Anyone caught beneath falling structures or collapsing caverns takes 8d6 points of damage (Reflex save DC 30 for half). Those who fail the Reflex save are considered buried. The save DC’s are Constitution based.
See Invisibility (Su): Goristro have a continuous see invisibility ability, as the spell (caster level 10th).

How does this beast look?

Last edited:

Olive

Explorer
What would be interesting to me, although much more work for you, would be seeing what you've changed. Skill points and feats increased for 3.0-3.5 conversions I guess, but what else?

Pants

First Post
Olive said:
What would be interesting to me, although much more work for you, would be seeing what you've changed. Skill points and feats increased for 3.0-3.5 conversions I guess, but what else?
Whoo boy, that would be a tad bit of work...
I could do a few though...

Goristro:
3.0 conversion found in the Manual of the Planes
HD: Same. Overall HP change from 168 (3.0) to 264 (3.5)
AC: Decreased Nat. Armor bonus to +14 from +16 to reflect the overall lowering of demon AC's. Overall AC change from 23 (3.0) to 22 (3.5).
Attacks: Increased slam damage, added a gore attack because the thing has horns, it might as well use them
Stats: Increased Dex to 10 from 8, Increased Con to 35 from 23, others stayed the same
Abilities: Added Powerful charge and rock catching, clarified Stomp ability, changed SR to CR + 8, added greater teleport to SLA's, replaced fear with scare. Reduced all resistances to 10 as is par for demons now.
Skills and Feats: Added appropriate number of skills and feats
CR: Increased from 13 to 14.

Babau:
3.0 conversion found in the Book of Vile Darkness
3.5 conversion found in the Monster Manual 3.5
HD: Increased from 7 to 11. Overall HP change from 66 (3.5) to 138 (3.52)
AC: Increased Nat. Armor bonus to +14 from +8. Overall AC change from 19 (3.5) to 30 (3.52).
Attacks: Same. BAB increased of course.
Stats: Increased Dex from 12 from 25 to reflect its agile nature, Increased Con from 20 to 25, Int and Wis changed to 18, Cha changed 20
Abilities: Added Weakening gaze, see invisibility, DR 10/bludgeoning and good (due to the slime's effects), added immunity to acid. Added the following SLA: fear, fly heat metal, polymorph, invisibility, phantasmal killer, power word blind. Increased sneak attack damage from 2d6 to 5d6. Changed summon tanar'ri. Protective slime stayed the same, DC increased from 18 to 22.
Skills and Feats: Increased number of skills and feats due to HD change.
CR: Increased from 6 to 13.

Chasme:
3.0 conversion found in the Book of Vile Darkness
HD: Increased from 9 to 10. Overall HP change from 76 (3.0) to 115 (3.5)
AC: Decreased Nat. Armor bonus to +11 from +14. (overall AC change from 26 (3.0) to 24 (3.5)
Attacks: Same. BAB increased of course.
Stats: Increased Str from 19 to 23, Increased Dex from 16 from 19, Increased Con from 18 to 25, Cha changed 20 from 14
Abilities: Added Blood drain and Improved Grab, Abyssal Wound made nastier. Added the following SLA: stinking cloud, lightning bolt, unholy blight. Removed desecrate, detect good, protection from good, wave of grief, circle of nausea, and unholy aura. See invisibility changed to an always active ability. Changed summon tanar'ri.
Skills and Feats: Increased number of skills and feats due to HD change.
CR: Increased from 10 to 11.

Last edited:

Remove ads