• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Al-Qadim Moving Through the Flame

tglassy

Adventurer
Harun left the city entirely, going to the stables to check on his horse.

"Are they treating you well, habibi?" he said as he gave the stallion some grain. He brushed him down, before taking his pack and sitting outside the city walls, where he could see the sky, and worked on one of his little toys in the fading light. His eyes strained as the sun set, but he didn't notice. He was too busy trying to get the small, metallic pieces to fit just right.

Finally, he was finished. It resembled a blood hawk, and Harun couldn't wait to see it fly.

After activating it, he sent it soaring in the air, watching it with something like childlike glee. This creature deserved a name.

"Ahzeem," he said to himself as he watched the mechanical soar.

Thateous

Explorer
Akilah pondered as she relaxed in her bath. As Amina inquired if she required any more of her an idea came to her mind. "Did you plan on bathing this evening? If so, would you allow me to draw it for you?"

Sent from my SM-G955U using EN World mobile app

Shayuri

First Post
Amina is taken aback in spite of herself. It was an unusual request, not simply because of the difference in station but because typically that sort of thing was done as part of an obligation. One did it because it was expected, or one didn't do it. She didn't think she'd ever seen anyone ask if it would be all right before.

"If it would please you, Honored," she replies softly.

Thateous

Explorer
Akilah finishes her bath and the begins making preparations for Amina's bath. "I haven't done this sense my days in the church. They did it to teach me humility." She pauses for a moment before continuing, "Being the daughter of a Sheikh, they felt I needed a little extra humility. I did what I had to do so that I could best serve my father." she finishes drawing the bath and waits patiently for Amina.

Shayuri

First Post
"Did you not seek humility of your own will?" Amina inquires. She disrobes behind a screen and slips into the water giving just a glimpse of some scars here and there on her body. She is not heavily muscled, but is toned and slim under the acolyte's robes with very little softness or roundness to her. Her dark hair is short along the sides of her head, but allowed to grow a little in back to make a tail.

"May I ask how long it's been since you were in a temple, Honored?"

Thateous

Explorer
"I don't think it they cared how willing I was to serve. They wanted to see if I would bleed for it. A part of me thinks they just wanted to see me suffer, but who knows. The greatest thing that happened to me was the discovery that I was blessed with Hakima's gift. I have avoided the temples since my training." Akilah stands before continuing. "I must go prepare for the long journey ahead. Is there anything else you require?"

Shayuri

First Post
"No, Honored," Amina replies. "Hakiyah watch over you."

The bitterness in Akilah's words was revealing, though Ankabut was not sure of precisely what they were revealing of. Was Akilah simply unused to hardship in her privilege and misunderstanding the motivations of those who had trained her? Or had there been resentment of her position within the temple, which poisoned her trainers and made them cruel when the lesson required only hardness?

Either way, the result had been a failure. Here was a vizier and hakima who hated and avoided the temples.

It did, perhaps, explain Akilah's surprising gentleness towards Amina though. If she believed that, as an acolyte, Amina had undergone the same training that she herself had...was suffering the same real or imagined cruelty...then such sympathy made sense.

The training of a sister of the Soft Whisper was demanding, physically and emotionally, but Ankabut had never believed it cruel even in her worst moments. Always she had viewed her failures and tears as more evidence that she needed the hardship, that she still had weakness that had to be burned out of her. What would Akilah have believed, she wondered now.

It made no difference to her mission, of course. None of her targets were likely to be in or associated with one of Hakiyah's temples. It just bothered her to see one as faithful to the goddess as Akilah so distant from the fellowship of other faithful.

Quickleaf

Legend
sizCSAU.jpg

Departing Tajar, Into the High Desert

GM: Long Rest
[MENTION=6803188]VLAD the Destroyer[/MENTION] Your gen, Easifa, returns with the spell magic circle, negotiated from none other than Calipha Fatima ibn Zaida of the djinn.
[MENTION=23]Ancalagon[/MENTION] After relaxing in the palace baths, Lal Qalander has a vivid dream of a man in a burgundy cloak leaving the Yellow City, passing through a sandstorm, and emerging in the High Desert of Zakhara. The man’s face is not Lal’s, but that of a stranger, someone tied to him by bonds of Fate.
[MENTION=6855204]tglassy[/MENTION] Harun crafted a mechanical bird named “Ahzeem.”
[MENTION=6814006]Thateous[/MENTION] Akilah gains Inspiration for role-playing.
[MENTION=4936]Shayuri[/MENTION] “Amina” gains Inspiration for role-playing.
[MENTION=20005]Matthan[/MENTION] Husam is gifted a warhorse with saddle, saddlebags, bit, and bridle from the Mamluks of the Dutiful as a token of their support.

[SBLOCK=Akdam's Traveling Spellbook, as read by Salahuddin]
[MENTION=6803188]VLAD the Destroyer[/MENTION] Akdam’s Traveling Spellbook is a slim volume with an oiled leather cover worn from travel wrapped about with leather cord. The interior cover reads: “Salaam Daskin! May your 75th birthday be full of mischief!” After perusing its pages by candlelight, Salahuddin finds it contains the following spells: alarm (1st), detect magic (1st), unseen servant (1st), continual flame (2nd), deeppockets* (2nd), fog cloud (2nd), and phantom steed (3rd). A fine collections of spells for a traveler in Zakhara. There are also unusual geometric shapes in the border margins that don't seem to follow any rhyme or reason, perhaps simply a bit of whimsy... However similar pattens are inscribed on the interior of the leather cover. Strange.[/SBLOCK]

Before the sun yet rises across the dimly glimmering waters of the Golden Gulf, the first call to prayer is swallowed by the din of merchants and their animals coming to market. The sounds are distant outside the palace walls. With your preparations in order, you depart the palace grounds and make your ways to the western gate, framed by an old sandstone arch into which are carved cat-headed sphinxes from ages past. The sandalwood and rose scents, like the oud playing of Dulcet Riqqiyah, are replaced by the smell of camels, dung, and roasting coffee.

[SECTION]
Ajan bin Najon al-Yaqud, nephew to Sheikh Ali, is easily spotted, for he waits beyond the city gates along with a dozen of his white-robed kinsmen who each hold the reins of one or two camels complete with saddles and tack. The dusky skinned Ajan nods your way and offers a slow raise of his hand, though he superstitiously avoids venturing too close to the gates.

”Peace unto you, champions of my uncle, Sheikh Ali,” he says with a solemn bow and a melodious accent marking him as one accustomed to an oral tradition. His skin is unusually dusky, unlike the other nomads of House Bakr, Clan of the Young Camel, and his eyes are mismatched – one amber like the setting sun, the other green like a brilliant emerald. A nasty scar mars his upper lip.

“Greetings from House Bakr,” he says with an arched brow suggesting he barely views Sheikh Ali as a representative of the tribe. ”I have brought camels for your journey, though my uncle’s message did not send word of your destination…” He trails off, as if asking the question directly would somehow be impolite or outré.[/SECTION]

The sun is just rising, but there is yet no sign of the brothers Derafsh and Nimar, and the rest of their gang whom Akilah contracted.

Last edited:

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Lal awakes with a start... what a peculiar dream. What could it mean? The color of the cloak... Purple could represent Yoon Suin... but the color didn't quite seem right, Yoon (the purple spice that had given Yoon-Suin its name) was more of a mauve. Maybe a sign of a religious affiliation? The only god Lal knew of that was associated with purple was Va Qabu, the little dog of sleep and clouds... that didn't quite make sense either... but then again, there were so many cults in the Yellow City there could be other cults that used this shade of purple as their holy color. Hmmmm...

As far as the sand storm... the Yellow City was surrounded by jungle, but there were extensive beaches to its east and west. Was this a symbol of a sea journey, or was there actually a magical sand storm, that directly transport this man here? Who was he? Was he of the Yellow city? If not, why did he go there? Why the high desert? Was this man related to this quest Lal found himself upon? Back home, there were dream interpreters one could hire. Many were charlatans, but there were good ones who could provide keen insight... here... well Lal would have to inquire obliquely.

As the group gathered to exit the gate, Lal approaches Ankabut, Salahuddin and the Vizier Akilah:

"Before we join our guides... you have been involved in this quest longer than I, and surely know things I do not. If I spoke of a man in a burgundy cloak... does this mean anything to you? "

Later, upon encountering the guides, Lal contents himself with bowing followed by a beatific smile. Best let the others deal with the courtesies... there were some politics here, that he didn't quite understand yet.

Matthan

Explorer
OOC: I was a bit inspired by the delightful flavor posts and wanted to do the same for Husam. There’s nothing really plot critical so this post has two sections. Last night – can be ignored behind the spoiler tag, and present.

[sblock=Last Night]
Husam made his way to the servants’ kitchen where an older half-orc woman busied herself cleaning after the evening meal.

“Mother,” Husam said lightly.

The woman turned with a smile, “My son, it is good to see you.” Her eyes look him up and down critically. “You look hungry. I saved some bread and lentil soup for you. Sit down and eat before the wind blows you away.”

Husam sat and accepted the meal. He had already eaten and wasn’t hungry in the slightest, but experience had taught him that there were some fights that you could never win. He dipped the bread into the soup and began to share his news. “Our glorious and honored Sheik, long may he reign, has seen fit to give me a new task, Mother.” His mother’s eyes perked with maternal pride and curiosity. “I am to travel with his daughter, his most trusted and wise vizier.” He paused. “Mother, I have been asked to accompany her outside of Tajar.”

His mother seemed to read his mind, “And you’re worried.” It was a simple statement of fact.

“I am,” he admitted, “I have never gone far from the city. I have served on patrols and the like. We have trained in and for the desert, but even when the Sheik traveled, I remained behind. I know these streets. I know their dangers. I know the faces of our people. What if…”

His mother cut him off, “Have I ever told you about how your father fought in the war against the Sultan?” Husam smiled. It had been one of his favorite stories as a child. “The Sultan was a wicked man who oppressed the good people of Tajar. Your father was a great warrior that the Sultan lusted after for his guard. The Sultan threatened to harm the people your father loved unless your father served him. Your father was always a man of honor and would not allow his family to be harmed when he could prevent it. He swore a life debt to serve the Sultan.”

His mother looked wistful as she continued, “The hands of Fate move in mysterious ways. If the Sultan had not forced your father to serve him, then he would never have developed a taste for the sweet meats cooked in a nearby stall or grown to fancy the young girl who cooked them. He would never have been a witness and a participant in the excesses of cruelty that the Sultan inflicted upon his people. He would never have heard the priest declare the word of the Loregiver that spoke of a higher responsibility for this life.”

“Your father had sworn his life to the Sultan and yet he knew that Fate demanded the Sultan’s evil be stopped. He had heard of the gathering revolution in the desert. His heart and conscience burned inside of him to join them, but his honor bound him to his oath to give his life to the Sultan. Your father knew in that moment that he must die. He did not tell the sweet meat girl of his plan. He was wise enough to know that her love for him would have pressed her to stop him. He left her a note that said he would return for her in his next life.”

“Under the cover of darkness, your father stole away to the home of the priest and in faith allowed the priest to take the life of the man who had sworn his life to the Sultan. His blood poured out, his heart beat its final time, and all the breath left his lungs. The Sultan’s servant was dead and his debt was paid. When the prayers of the priest restored the body to a new life, your father left the name of the dead in the grave and took up the name of Khalid and went to serve those who would bring the justice and wisdom of the Loregiver to Tajar.”

Husam’s mother reached out and rested her hand on her son’s. “Husam, you are your father’s son. He was willing to die to keep his word. He was willing to sacrifice his life to do the right thing. In the end, he laid down his life for just that reason. You are cut from the same cloth. Our beloved and gracious Sheik, long may he reign, knows this about you. That is why you have been chosen for this. He knows that you would rather die doing what must be done than live while letting evil hurt the innocent. Go and do what you have been asked. You are more than ready for the task.”

Husam smiled, “Thank you, Mother,” and got up to leave.

“Oh, and, Husam?” his mother said as he turned away, “When you come back, maybe you should speak more with that young lady who you keep buying apples from in the market? Sarai says she sees you there every morning. Your mother deserves to meet her grandchildren while she can still rejoice over them.”
[/sblock]

Present

Husam smiled to himself as he led his new horse to meet with the others in the palace gates. He fed a crisp apple to the horse while enjoying his own as they walked. “Next time, Shajae,” he said as he patted the horse’s neck, “I will certainly speak to her next time.”

Husam travelled with the others to meet with Ajan. He stood protectively to the side of the Vizier and deferred to her.

Remove ads