Sleep Spell and Chain Awakening

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
Whether it says that in 5e somewhere or not, I have no idea. It probably comes from an earlier edition, and the goblins in my world haven't changed, even if the MM or Volo's Guide or whatever decides to make them different.

Sure, I point this out merely to show that seeing goblins as cowardly isn't universal or even firmly grounded in D&D 5e lore. Though truthfully I haven't read the section in Volo's on goblins, so it might very well say something different. Either way, I think my point stands.

Cowardly or not, though, I was thinking about it, and it's an interesting question regardless. You're in the midst of battle, are put to sleep by a spell, and then are rudely awakened when you're hit by a mace. A quick look around the battlefield shows your opponents all standing, and your allies all lying unconscious or dead. The nearest escape takes you past your fallen allies but to where additional allies are waiting, so what do you do?

Whether a goblin would figure out they are asleep due to the same spell is probably less relevant than whether they would attempt to defend/save an ally, and what their version of ally is compared to ours. If it's a survival of the fittest sort of thing, they might just very well leave them.

Honestly, I don't bother to think about it this deeply during play. At least not normally. I think of what will be the most fun for everyone and lead to an exciting, memorable tale. I do that. I justify it later by establishing the appropriate justifications, if it's even necessary.

I'd also like to clarify that I don't have any issue with how you adjudicated the scene. Finding a clever escape is always fun. It's just a good example, as you point out, of how the initiative system creates a scenario that probably wouldn't otherwise occur, and also had the effect of more or less negating the sleep spell entirely, also as you pointed out. It's also an example of something that probably wouldn't ever occur in our campaign because we use an alternate combat system that wouldn't have artificially created the circumstance for this to occur.

The start/stop nature of turn-based combat is something we dislike altogether, and the group initiative makes it even more apparent. As others have pointed out, the circumstance was pretty rare. It had to be goblins, and it had to put all of them to sleep (although casting a sleep spell against any number of goblins just before their initiative turn would have the same effect since any of the goblins that are awake can start the chain).

Whether that bothers you or not is really up to you and certainly not wrong, and as written I think it's the right call.

I like to paraphrase a Churchill quote about democracy with regard to standard D&D initiative: It's the worst system... until you consider all the alternatives.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
Then, did you roll a roughly 50% chance for Wartiak to have this knowledge and wherewithal?

Or did you just decide that he had it? In hindsight, do you feel that was that the correct decision?

(FWIW, I think you ran the rules exactly as written, and it worked fine. So to me, the more interesting question, is whether NPCs understand the game rules enough to take the optimal actions in scenarios like this.)

Ha! No, I established nothing about what knowledge and wherewithal Wartiak had during play. I posted that upthread merely to show that there's a way to justify anything in the fiction because it's so mutable, so arguments based on goblins needing to do this or that were bogus.

As I mentioned in my last post, when deciding what to do, I think about what's reasonably within the rules, is going to be fun for everyone, and helps create an exciting, memorable tale. I also endeavor not to contradict any fiction that has been established previously. That the goblins took what could be argued to be the optimal actions in that moment is very easily justified without having to think about what Wartiak and the others knew about the game rules. They are, after all, born knowing how to Nimbly Escape such situations!

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
In this case it's primarily the goblin chain that does it for me. "Oh, I'm awake, I'll slap him then run away...oh, I'm awake, I'll slap him and run away...oh, I'm awake, I'll slap him and run away..." all while the fighter is swinging that sword in slow...slower...slower still...motion. The secondary aspect is where the players spend a lot of time trying to figure out the right order, etc. to coordinate their actions to avoid it. Both break my suspension of disbelief/immersion. Probably followed by a discussion, "is that legal?" Checking books, the wizard complaining that he wasted his spell, etc. Not all of that's going to really happen in every campaign, of course.

I've been playing D&D 5e for 4 years. This is the first time I've seen this chain awakening thing come up. I can't imagine using it as a basis for changing the initiative rules, even if it did bother me. As with your later comment regarding discussing initiative, I think that some amount of that back and forth is quite reasonable and arguably prohibiting it entirely makes the game unplayable, but I realize it's probably a matter of degrees. I don't care about gamespeak happening. I do care about moving forward. So, fine, talk about things in terms of mechanics sometimes, but keep things going. Don't get bogged down in it.

As for the imminent danger, there wasn't any if they didn't attack. In which case there isn't any. The only reason that there was "imminent" danger when they attacked was the initiative order. If the cleric had skipped their turn or readied their action, then they would have let the goblin's turn pass, and the other characters could have finished them off.

There really was imminent danger. I think I've explained why upthread, but I'm sure it's harder for anyone who wasn't at the game to understand the full context. Goblins were coming from the west. Hobgoblins from the north. We're talking a move and a Dash away, tops. Not attacking the sleeping goblins would have been safe if they would have started a withdrawal back the way they came, and they also got a chance to do that after the goblins fled and closed the door. But, they didn't and even pushed things further. Subsequently, three PCs and an NPC died. No big deal, the backup characters get tapped in and we play on.

Ilbranteloth

Explorer
Sure, I point this out merely to show that seeing goblins as cowardly isn't universal or even firmly grounded in D&D 5e lore. Though truthfully I haven't read the section in Volo's on goblins, so it might very well say something different. Either way, I think my point stands.

Honestly, I don't bother to think about it this deeply during play. At least not normally. I think of what will be the most fun for everyone and lead to an exciting, memorable tale. I do that. I justify it later by establishing the appropriate justifications, if it's even necessary.

I like to paraphrase a Churchill quote about democracy with regard to standard D&D initiative: It's the worst system... until you consider all the alternatives.

Agreed on the goblins.

I don’t think that deeply during play either, but when the opportunity arises and I do, like now, then I work it into future encounters.

As for the Churchill-ish quote. Yes, unless the alternatives are better. For us, anyway, an alternative is.

Ilbranteloth

Explorer
I've been playing D&D 5e for 4 years. This is the first time I've seen this chain awakening thing come up. I can't imagine using it as a basis for changing the initiative rules, even if it did bother me. As with your later comment regarding discussing initiative, I think that some amount of that back and forth is quite reasonable and arguably prohibiting it entirely makes the game unplayable, but I realize it's probably a matter of degrees. I don't care about gamespeak happening. I do care about moving forward. So, fine, talk about things in terms of mechanics sometimes, but keep things going. Don't get bogged down in it.

I agree, I don't think I've seen this particular chain. But the initiative/turn system is what makes any chain like that possible, so I've seen others.

There will always be times that rules discussions come up, and we generally make a quick decision and move on. If necessary we'll address it after the session, and if future rulings are different than the one on the fly, so be it.

What we don't have is discussions about initiative and turn order, because we don't use it. Instead, if there are circumstances where we need to know whose action resolves first, we have an opposed initiative check between the relevant creatures. So in this particular scenario, say the fighter was going to attack one of the other goblins, and after the cleric's attack, the goblin decided it was going to try to wake up that goblin. The goblin and the fighter would have an opposed initiative check to see which happens first. Movement isn't tied to your turn, so creatures that are moving are doing so throughout the course of the round. Stuff happens in what we agree is logical based on timing, and in most cases, like two combatants trading blows, it doesn't matter who hits first.

There really was imminent danger. I think I've explained why upthread, but I'm sure it's harder for anyone who wasn't at the game to understand the full context. Goblins were coming from the west. Hobgoblins from the north. We're talking a move and a Dash away, tops. Not attacking the sleeping goblins would have been safe if they would have started a withdrawal back the way they came, and they also got a chance to do that after the goblins fled and closed the door. But, they didn't and even pushed things further. Subsequently, three PCs and an NPC died. No big deal, the backup characters get tapped in and we play on.

I understand what you're saying, but they weren't at risk of opportunity attacks, they could have readied their actions until one of the characters with an initiative turn after the goblins used their action, etc. But again, that's designing your actions in combat around the goblin's initiative count, which doesn't really exist within the fiction. It's representative of the order that actions take in the fiction, but that's different. Again, I don't have any issues with how the combat itself played out in your post, it sounds pretty cool. Just a few points that I find a bit wonky in the mechanics, which is primarily the goblin waking chain, although with only three of them it's not really pushing my suspension of disbelief much, and ultimately I just think that the combat system could be designed better to avoid such things. No complaints about how you handled it, just the design of the game.

Eis

Explorer
I really wouldn't consider four sleeping goblins in a chamber in a dungeon "a similar situation" to a 5000-strong goblin army passing an item down its ranks or entire city of sleeping goblins waking each other up. Please explain why you would, if you indeed do.

I otherwise take no issue with how you rule these things in your own game.

how would you rule in the city of goblins situation? is it too much for 5000 goblins to wake in a chain? 2000? 500? where is the limit exactly? because they all go on the same initiative count right?

Tony Vargas

Legend
how would you rule in the city of goblins situation? is it too much for 5000 goblins to wake in a chain? 2000? 500? where is the limit exactly? because they all go on the same initiative count right?
No, each 'group,' as the DM judges it, in a given 'combat,' as the DM defines it, goes 'at the same time,' as, at the risk of repeating myself, the DM defines it. To have any more leeway, you'd have to be sailing Waterworld.

Besides, the whole city of goblins pretty much just wake up when David Bowie sings.

Eis

Explorer
No, each 'group,' as the DM judges it, in a given 'combat,' as the DM defines it, goes 'at the same time,' as, at the risk of repeating myself, the DM defines it. To have any more leeway, you'd have to be sailing Waterworld.

Besides, the whole city of goblins pretty much just wake up when David Bowie sings.

ok so how would you define it? as a DM?

there are 5000 goblins....there are 500 goblins....there are 50 goblins....all asleep....and goblin A is awakened by a hammer to the face.....do all of these groups chain wake? are they all 'groups' according to you as DM? are they all 'going at the same time' according to you as DM? this is what I am asking....to get an idea of where you as DM would put the limit on how many goblins can wake each other up on their initiative turn

Oofta

Legend
ok so how would you define it? as a DM?

there are 5000 goblins....there are 500 goblins....there are 50 goblins....all asleep....and goblin A is awakened by a hammer to the face.....do all of these groups chain wake? are they all 'groups' according to you as DM? are they all 'going at the same time' according to you as DM? this is what I am asking....to get an idea of where you as DM would put the limit on how many goblins can wake each other up on their initiative turn

So your big objection is a purely hypothetical situation that has already been addressed because they would be considered different groups. In a situation where a single goblin could easily start an alarm.

There is no perfect system, but at a certain point a DM just has to make a judgement call about what makes sense and will be fun.

Remove ads