Sleep Spell and Chain Awakening

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
There was an occurrence at last night's Sunless Citadel game that I wanted to report because I thought it was interesting and I'd like to see if this has happened in other games. Some spoilers will follow.

Having defeated the hostile kobolds and installed Meepo as their puppet dictator over what remained, the PCs decided to push into goblin territory. This led to some running battles as goblin archers in defensible positions took shots at PCs, but fled deeper into the dungeon when overrun, repeating a tactic of fleeing, hiding, readying attacks, and fleeing as best they could. The goblins were slowing getting picked off, but the PCs were losing resources, too.

At a certain point, the PCs pushed them back to an area rife with goblins and so now things got very dangerous for the adventurers. In a long hall dotted with pillars they found themselves in a pitched firefight with their foes as reinforcements in the chamber past the goblins starting rallying. The crotchety PC wizard, Farkus the Illuminator, decided to put the back ranks of the goblins to sleep, in particular the ones guarding the door into the chamber beyond, leaving the front ranks to be dispatched fairly easily by the PCs. This would give them the opportunity to fall back before the goblin horde retaliated.

Or so he thought.

With a roll of 23 on sleep, he was able to knock three goblins at full hit points and one goblin at 2 hp who had taken some damage from an earlier skirmish with the PCs. Those four goblins down, the PCs set about attacking three conscious goblins that remained. One died to a spear, another to a javelin, the last one to a crossbow bolt. The simple cleric Drongo waddled up to one of the sleeping goblins and smashed it with his mace doing 6 damage - one hp shy of a kill. It woke up, and now it was the goblins' turn in initiative.

Here's where an artifact of group monster initiative came into play: The wounded goblin stood up, slapped the face of the sleeping goblin next, disengaged, and fled into the chamber where the goblins were rallying. The slapped goblin did the same thing. So did the next one, and the next one. Essentially, the work of the sleep spell was undone by monsters all acting on the same initiative. The last goblin to flee into the chamber slammed the door while another locked it. Meanwhile, sounds of heavily-armored reinforcements - probably hobgoblins - were coming from a corridor north of the PCs' position.

What happened next was pure hubris on the part of the adventurers that led to three out of five of the PCs dying. But what I found interesting was how the sleep spell was undone essentially because like monsters all act on the same initiative. This would be much harder for PCs to pull off, I think, if the situation was reversed since they act on different turns, often with monsters in between. It was the first time I had seen things go that way, so I found it notable.

Have you seen a situation like this unfold in your game? What other sleep shenanigans have you seen play out?

Oofta

Legend
I've seen this happen more than once. It's a legitimate tactic, if a bit annoying. It doesn't make sleep completely useless, he enemy still loses a round of combat. It is, after all a 1st level spell.

I've also seen variations on this where 1 creature will attack it's allies with an AOE doing damage and waking them up. As long as the AOE doesn't kill them, the remaining creatures could still act.

I think this may be a goblin issue more than a sleep issue, thanks to their bonus disengage action which allowed them to wake another member and disengage. If it were, say, kobolds, they would have stood up, woken someone, and then eaten an opportunity attack to move 10 feet.

Unless the PC's were pressed for time in that exact moment, I would have probably called the fight once it was down to the sleeping goblins, and just handwaved the PC's ready action chain.

Bawylie

A very OK person
I use popcorn initiative at my adult’s table and they are very, very careful about the turn order in order to manage the inflow of adverse actions.

In the case of sleep, I’ve seen them pass initiative to sleeping combatants first, to ensure they’re locked out of an action that round.

If I were running group/side initiative, I believe I would contrive things to make sure that slept combatants were out for at least the 1 round out of basic fairness.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
I think this may be a goblin issue more than a sleep issue, thanks to their bonus disengage action which allowed them to wake another member and disengage. If it were, say, kobolds, they would have stood up, woken someone, and then eaten an opportunity attack to move 10 feet.

True, though in this case only two of them needed to disengage (the two next to the cleric). The other two were at the door to the goblin warren. Definitely a great monster trait. I got a lot of mileage out of it last night. The PCs paid for every inch of ground they took from the fleeing goblins.

Unless the PC's were pressed for time in that exact moment, I would have probably called the fight once it was down to the sleeping goblins, and just handwaved the PC's ready action chain.

They were definitely pressed for time. Seven more goblins were preparing a counterattack from the warrens and three hobgoblins were coming down from the north down a corridor that connected to the room in which the PCs were fighting (essentially a pincer movement).

The PCs talked themselves into continuing the battle and had their hireling Lex Spears (a guard) kick in the door to the warrens. Lex died instantly from a hail of arrows and then goblins rushed in to corner the cleric Drongo and the wizard Farkus. Hobgoblins stormed in from the north. Rox Fal, the earth genasi fighter, called for the bugbear fighter Konishi and elf rogue Naal to flee with Brain Freeze, a captured white dragon wyrmling. Rox died valiantly holding off the goblins and hobgoblins so the other two could escape. It was pretty epic for a goblin fight!

If all goblins in the room were either dead or unconscious, there would have been no initiative for me to begin with. So if they decided to kill the sleeping goblins, then by DM ruling, they are dead, with no chance to wake up. The only exception would be how rushed the PCs were acting, since they knew there were more coming. In that case, I would have had them roll a D20 for each goblin and only on a natural 1 would a goblin not have been executed successfully and it then had a chance to roll initiative to try and escape. Of course, then you have situations like yours, where one of the party members who has no skill with dealing a coup de grace decides to just walk up and hit the unconscious goblin. That was dumb and I guess they got what they deserved from you.

Just to be "That Guy" for a minute... ;)

The cleric smashed the sleeping goblin for 6 hp of damage? Did he just roll really poorly, or did you guys forget that any successful hit on an unconscious creature, from an attacker within 5 feet, is an auto-crit?

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
If all goblins in the room were either dead or unconscious, there would have been no initiative for me to begin with. So if they decided to kill the sleeping goblins, then by DM ruling, they are dead, with no chance to wake up. The only exception would be how rushed the PCs were acting, since they knew there were more coming. In that case, I would have had them roll a D20 for each goblin and only on a natural 1 would a goblin not have been executed successfully and it then had a chance to roll initiative to try and escape. Of course, then you have situations like yours, where one of the party members who has no skill with dealing a coup de grace decides to just walk up and hit the unconscious goblin. That was dumb and I guess they got what they deserved from you.

I've since cleaned up the map post-battle, but this is where the fight took place. The PCs were in the long pillared hall (Area 39) mostly near the center of the chamber against a couple of melee goblins and 5 ranged goblins staggered behind the melee ones, with a couple at the door. PLUS all of the goblins beyond the doorway which the PCs could see. Then there were hobgoblins coming from the hallway to the north that connects to the pillared hall from two entrances on the north wall.

Capture.PNG

The PCs were thus in initiative from the time they entered the hall until they were killed or routed. Drongo the cleric is actually pretty strong and should have been able to do 7 damage to kill that sleeping kobold (2d8+3 damage), but just rolled really badly which kicked off the chain awakening.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
Just to be "That Guy" for a minute... ;)

The cleric smashed the sleeping goblin for 6 hp of damage? Did he just roll really poorly, or did you guys forget that any successful hit on an unconscious creature, from an attacker within 5 feet, is an auto-crit?

He rolled really poorly.

Remove ads