What item daily rules do people use?

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Yes, indeed, I would call it a practice. It would work that way in HoML terms as well where basically it serves to provide an alternate fictional positioning (a wizard would disenchant, a rogue would swindle, the net result is pretty much the same).

I couldnt find anything allowing disenchant of items higher than your level? I think we need to enable disenchant and sale of things slightly over level. (items 5 or more levels higher you normally just dont get and cannot disenchant etc)

Using my adjusted rules where one gains a return based on level that ability is great if you are converting/selling something near your level but if you are already getting full value it actually allows exceeding so that is nice too.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I am currently thinking to call this Item Invocation
  • additional rule - Each milestone you recover an item invocation.
  • additional flavor - there is a somewhat common practice of speaking an items name either reflexively or intentionally as one invokes its power.

"House Rule" to re-frame the "one daily item power use per tier" (short version : forum ate my post)

Bring Forth Power!
All characters have a new power that can used once per day per tier : Bring Forth Power (BFP)

Basic effect: a character can apply the critical hit effect of a weapon or implement on a regular hit.

Advanced effect: magic items replace their daily powers with the same effect that can now be used by spending a use of BFP.

Additional new rule: items can only bear the strain of BFP once per day.

Why
The intent of the basic effect is to replace/reduce/remove the number of items which have a daily power that amounts to their critical effect.

The other intent is a simple ease of acceptability of the "one item daily power per day per tier" by re-framing it as a player ability.

What it breaks
Not much, other than the whole of the written text... If we had the rules in an editable format, this would be a simple case of "Ctrl+H", but alas...

What it adds
Not much. It's pretty much what amounts to a QoL improvement.

It could be seen to add a bit of design space - in that it's easier to play with character abilities.

For instance, we can now, add or remove a use of BFP for things such as consequences of a SC (or some very niche monster). It's also easy to see how giving one more use of BFP would fit the Artificer or an artificer-themed ... theme.

So yeah, I like it.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I am currently thinking to call this Item Invocation
  • additional rule - Each milestone you recover an item invocation.
  • additional flavor - there is a somewhat common practice of speaking an items name either reflexively or intentionally as one invokes its power.
I have ulterior motivation for the flavor.... Picture the daily abilities from a Grand Master training or martial technique being invoked....why ever does he announce his moves :)

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I have ulterior motivation for the flavor.... Picture the daily abilities from a Grand Master training or martial technique being invoked....why ever does he announce his moves :)

I am also picturing Arthur drawing his blade from its sheath and shouting Excaliburnus as he does so and it flaring a light that blinds his enemies.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
GMs provide the narrative response which indicates the manifestation of a boon, but usually the players are selecting what sort of a thing it will be by how their characters act during the game.

So I find a sword and the pattern on its blade reminds me of a monastery where the weapon was built and I can learn special fighting techniques. Or I touch it and a vision of a god imbues me with the ability .... or the weapon itself confers the ability and binds itself to me .. or....

Remove ads