What item daily rules do people use?

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
The players handbook if I recall has this limit

Heroic tier, 1 use Paragon, 2, Epic, 3 (edit each milestone increases that by 1) and each use of a magic item daily power must come from a different magic item.

I am thinking it might be appropriate to allow the heroic evoking of items deeper powers without the latter limit of a different item.

And in a fit of random story what if invoking it more than once on a given item
risked making the item dormant for a day.

I already have a martial practice for forcing a second use out of an item.

Last edited:

MwaO

Adventurer
Those rules got thrown out in 4e. Now there's a combo of rarity+use as many magic item daily powers as you want.

Rarity means that you can generally only buy/create Common items, which tend to not have game breaking outcomes with their daily magic item powers. So how many daily magic item uses is really up to the DM simply not handing them out.

If I were running a campaign, I'd use Inherent Bonuses from Dark Sun, and then hand out approximately 2 items per PC per 5 levels. Over the course of 20 levels, they would get about 8 magic items, 4 uncommon, 1 rare, and 3 common ones. Without Inherent bonuses, that be likely 5 items given gold per 5 levels or in other words, about 20 magic items, 10 uncommon, 2 rare items, and 8 common. But realize that many of those 20 magic items are going to be replacements for primary weapon/armor/neck, so it won't be that big of a deal either.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Those rules got thrown out in 4e. Now there's a combo of rarity+use as many magic item daily powers as you want.

I occasionally take late edition Mike Mearles controlled changes with a grain of salt since I do not trust his understanding or empathy for the edition.

MwaO

Adventurer
I occasionally take late edition Mike Mearles controlled changes with a grain of salt since I do not trust his understanding or empathy for the edition.

I think that's actually a really good solution to the problem. You just need to be aware of the issues if you choose not to use rarity when PCs want to buy items.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I think that's actually a really good solution to the problem. You just need to be aware of the issues if you choose not to use rarity when PCs want to buy items.

The players handbook mentioned the following.

"Some magic items might be a bit harder to identify, such as cursed or nonstandard items, or powerful magical artifacts. Your DM might ask for an Arcana check to determine their properties, or you might even need to go on a special quest to find a ritual to identify or to unlock the powers of a unique item."

I am pretty sure when it takes arcana or a quest to figure out even how to use such items that such items might also not covered by magic item creation rituals.

I am also thinking such unique or non-standard items which I design are potentially more awesome than the "rares".

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
"House Rule" to re-frame the "one daily item power use per tier" (short version : forum ate my post)

Bring Forth Power!
All characters have a new power that can used once per day per tier : Bring Forth Power (BFP)

Basic effect: a character can apply the critical hit effect of a weapon or implement on a regular hit.

Advanced effect: magic items replace their daily powers with the same effect that can now be used by spending a use of BFP.

Additional new rule: items can only bear the strain of BFP once per day.

Why
The intent of the basic effect is to replace/reduce/remove the number of items which have a daily power that amounts to their critical effect.

The other intent is a simple ease of acceptability of the "one item daily power per day per tier" by re-framing it as a player ability.

What it breaks
Not much, other than the whole of the written text... If we had the rules in an editable format, this would be a simple case of "Ctrl+H", but alas...

What it adds
Not much. It's pretty much what amounts to a QoL improvement.

It could be seen to add a bit of design space - in that it's easier to play with character abilities.

For instance, we can now, add or remove a use of BFP for things such as consequences of a SC (or some very niche monster). It's also easy to see how giving one more use of BFP would fit the Artificer or an artificer-themed ... theme.

So yeah, I like it.

Just realized this was the inspiration for this thread ;)

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I'm curious to know - were you to use this idea, how would use BFP :
1 - as a free action that can used on a hit
2 - as minor action that must be used before trying to hit ?

While the minor action is tempting at low levels its not so good for the cases where the effect only has an effect on a hit.

Hmmm perhaps if you had a loss of a minor action as an after effect.

Definitely thinking about it.

pemerton

Legend
We use the standard rules: 1 use per tier, pus 1 per milestone, capped per item as per the item's description.

Because the players are in charge of the bookkeeping, I wouldn't be surprised if on the odd occasion the actual usage (per day more likely than per item) has exceeded the permitted usage.

Remove ads