D&D 4E Revised 4E Wizard Class with Freeform Spellcasting System

Heck we didnt even get an Epic DMG III smh...

I should have done one, although I actually think that the Bestiary Format for 4E wasn't great. A superior format is a themed book of mini-adventures with their own mini-bestiaries.

The reason for this being DMs need a certain amount of monsters to populate enough encounters to make a credible adventure at each level.

I have recently been concluding we have practical board size issue for epic feeling well epic...with huge amounts of Knock Back for your hay maker and everything.

I presume you read my 10 Commandments of Epic Article?

https://eternitypublishing.wordpress.com/2011/04/16/article-the-ten-commandments-of-epic/

Immortal Tiers seems like it would high light the problem even more ;)

At a certain point of epic/immortal I suspect space and positioning might become far less relevant. For instance you could be fighting mile high giants, or armies that cover a square mile or more. Melee attacks will become wuxia style ranged attacks with returning Weapons being the norm.

Except the 4e DM is NOT supposed to be arbiter of PC powers. That was a class 1 design goal of 4e...

True in theory, but not in practice.

Sure, that's a way of looking at it, but IME there were still people who were a LOT better at doing it than others, even if it was a fairly simple system. Fleet Command was a few pages of rules, yet I had players in the campaign games who ran rampant by exploiting fairly subtle aspects of the rules. This is OK in a wargame, particularly one where the subject matter is essentially fantasy, but it isn't quite as good in an RPG.

There will always be players who get more of a kick out of exploiting the rules to gain an advantage. The trick is not having loopholes whereby those players always dominate the play.

I'd also dispute that 4e's power system is THAT exploitable. Now, maybe a 'point system' can be made to be no worse than that, but then how flexible is it?

Then it would do in 2 pages everything the core rules currently does in 100+ pages.

I think the objection there is that it runs the real danger of being 'puzzle monster of the day', and you have the question of how to make sure that most of the PCs can contribute meaningfully to most of the monsters every time. What we see is that simplicity on the power side starts to turn into complexity on the monster side, and on the encounter DESIGN side (which is where we don't want it).

I don't see it being as black and white as you suggest, more likely that players could gain a +/-25% swing depending on their element set-up. But its not going to be an advantage/disadvantage in every situation.

Its OK to say "you're clever, here's your reward", but it can start to go down hill if the reward is too big. It just gets more complicated.

Agreed. +/-25% seems fair.

I'm thinking more like 'area attacks plus enlarged areas plus metamagic to miss your ally' or something like that. I mean, this is all kind of speculation in the sense I can only think about what you can do in stock 4e with a different power system put in place. I think players will generally stick to what they know, and then its just not that big a deal to have a whole design space you don't really use.

I'd have specified Arcane Magic cannot be made 'safe' for allies.

Meh, I don't know. I ran 4e for more than 10 years and I didn't really have a lot of 'headaches' with powers. I largely left it to the players to fool with those and let me know what they came up with when they unleashed one. I agree that the 4e power list grew organically, that it wasn't entirely consistent, that a lot of powers were kind of crap, or became useless over time, or were really only useful to very niche builds, etc.

Most are just the same half dozen powers repeated - not worthy of dozens of pages within multiple books.

Still, if you were to cut back each class to say 100 powers, you can build good lists.

You could but that would still be 15-20 pages per class.

Anyway, this starts to go beyond the realm of this thread, but when I designed my own '4e-like game' I fixed these issues quite simply.

1. The game has 20 levels, that means 10 less levels worth of powers to have to fill, meaning instantly 1/3 less powers!
2. Certain core powers are placed in power source lists. This is tricky, but it is possible to put a pretty good set of powers here. It removes a little diversity, but also makes it easier for players to handle since now their cleric and paladin can use the same basic healing power, for example.
3. Other powers are moved into smaller lists that are attached to 'boons', which in this case work like mini-themes almost. Again, commonality of powers.
4. Just plain getting rid of unneeded stuff and building lists over from scratch.

Honestly, it works pretty well. I think I'm up to about 12 classes now, and most of them actually have maybe 20 powers each. I think I can build a game with something like 600 powers and cover virtually the entire breadth of what 4e has in effect. Mainly, because I've made power sharing/reuse a possibility, now its easy to design for and aim at.

Sounds cool - albeit restrictive. My approach was to expand options and create freeform combat.

I mean, I agree with you that 4e is flawed in having non-shareable lists of powers attached only (essentially) to classes. I'm just not personally sure that you can go to the opposite extreme and still have something like the same game.

I stand by my Revised (two) classes. However players would need a few sessions to get used to the freeform nature so I agree it won't initially feel like the same game.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I should have done one, although I actually think that the Bestiary Format for 4E wasn't great. A superior format is a themed book of mini-adventures with their own mini-bestiaries.

The reason for this being DMs need a certain amount of monsters to populate enough encounters to make a credible adventure at each level.

I have seen something home brew

http://slyflourish.com/sly_flourishs_running_epic_tier_dd_games.html

I haven't yet

At a certain point of epic/immortal I suspect space and positioning might become far less relevant. For instance you could be fighting mile high giants, or armies that cover a square mile or more. Melee attacks will become wuxia style ranged attacks with returning Weapons being the norm.

I thought of just sliding eh scale size of squares and with many armies being dangerous terrain :p

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Well if Orcus wins initiative
Rocket Tag... Now I know 4e gets criticized for taking longer to resolve combat I am actually fond of having battles take enough time to actually play out powers and effects like regenerates when bloodied and similar.

It's one of many things that make 5e seem rather ho hum. In addition to lacking effects like the "False Opening" called Come and Get It.

It 'might' be better to have:

Disintigration = +1/2 Bloodied Value Damage on a Crit

Annihilation = +Bloodied Value Damage on a Crit

Mayhaps.

Predictability is Bad
I have noticed that boring is as bad as over powered... and the cure for boring might be reducing the chance to hit for repeating ie the predictability is bad in battle idea is perhaps even realistically why we do not pull the same tricks again and again.

Still looks like the numbers need some crunching.

By the way I want to thank people for looking at this again.

So, now you are introducing ANOTHER rule, some sort of 'how many times did you use this already' penalty count that has to be tracked (what for each and every power?). Its just another added bit of complexity, and given that there will be weaker or stronger incentives to spam different things there probably isn't even a specific single set of penalties that works ideally in every case.

This is all basically the same issue that created the suckage with the Psion class in PHB3. Only a few of its powers were really worth pumping points into, and basically every encounter was a repeat of the same power spam with the same augments. Most psions never even touched their higher level augments except in very unusual situations. In a bit more restricted form the Slayer has the same basic issue, really (though there are other issues as well). You simply do the same stuff every single stinkin round for THE WHOLE GAME. The only way Rangers really avoid this is that they have "even better encounter version of Twin Strike and MUCH better daily version of Twin Strike, which they can expend before going on to the actual TS spam phase. Its still considered the boringest implementation of a class pre-psion.

And Krusty is correct, the only real way to combat this is to basically make combat a variable power selection puzzle where each type of creature requires you to pick a different set of power options in order to beat it. This always runs the danger that some PCs will lack an option (I guess this would come down to class design factors, so it could be avoided). Still, all this ends up doing is creating the old situation like in 1e "Skeletons! Get out the clubs!" or "Green Slime! Run away and fill the room with oil!" etc. Each such monster has basically a stock formula to beat it, and I'd note how strongly 4e was designed to avoid this paradigm, for a good reason...

True in theory, but not in practice.
I'm certainly not going to start disputing your experience, but I found this to be quite true in practice!

There will always be players who get more of a kick out of exploiting the rules to gain an advantage. The trick is not having loopholes whereby those players always dominate the play.
My point is that extensive experience tells that the ONLY way to do that is to make the set of combinations and their effects very limited in significance and to keep tactical considerations fairly secondary, such that there's not much of an advantage to being clever. You cannot 'not have loopholes', not unless your system is exceedingly simplistic, and even yours isn't THAT simple. [MENTION=12749]MwaO[/MENTION] has already pretty much broken it once. You can fix each thing he finds, but I guarantee you that by the time you fix all of them, you won't have any more options, maybe less, than an Essentials Slayer.

Then it would do in 2 pages everything the core rules currently does in 100+ pages.
No, that's my point, it won't even be CLOSE to as much stuff. 4e powers can do a vast, and in fact pretty much open-ended list of possible things. Your system (and I'd look at Slayer as being an example of the same thing, Knight also) doesn't allow for anything like CaGI, or RoS, or RoB, not even to start on the paragon and epic level fighter powers. This is the example which is BEST in your favor, fighter. Every other class is hurting much more. You can't even come close to the flexibility of a 4e Wizard or Cleric. Not even Essentials' designers cracked THAT nut, though I think they may have considered it and tried!

I don't see it being as black and white as you suggest, more likely that players could gain a +/-25% swing depending on their element set-up. But its not going to be an advantage/disadvantage in every situation.
Fair enough, that's probably not untrue. Still, some characters are going to be pushed into a secondary place in a range of encounters, and others will become primary. Now, this CAN happen in 4e already to some extent (clerics and undead clearly) but there are always options for other classes, because there is a wide range of items, powers, and feats to produce solutions with. The issue being, if you allow all that in your game, you're right back to square one!

I'd have specified Arcane Magic cannot be made 'safe' for allies.
OK, I'm just going by what WAS there and what I know is possible in 4e from feats, etc. I think if we fed your 2 page wizard solution to charops they'd pretty much produce a specific optimum build in a week or two.

Most are just the same half dozen powers repeated - not worthy of dozens of pages within multiple books.
I disagree. No doubt there ARE some powers like this, and the redundancy tended to grow somewhat with time as more powers were added, but there's a LOT of variety in there as well! I could start running through lists and show you how much your implementations are losing out on, but do I need to do that? I'm sure you know 4e pretty well, you can do it. I think you know what I mean.

You could but that would still be 15-20 pages per class.
So what? 15-20 pages of good stuff is fine with me!

Sounds cool - albeit restrictive. My approach was to expand options and create freeform combat.
I'm not sure I follow you... What is 'restrictive' about what I've done? Everything which exists in 4e in terms of being able to choose from a wide range of powers and the structure which leads to doing a wide variety of things each encounter is fully intact in HoML! I find it quite puzzling that you could call MY implementation 'restrictive', when your own removes all but a small fixed list of options from the game!

I stand by my Revised (two) classes. However players would need a few sessions to get used to the freeform nature so I agree it won't initially feel like the same game.
[/quote]
I don't think it has to do with a number of sessions to get used to something. The degree of flexibility is just not there! You cannot create a wizard anything close to an actual 4e wizard by your 2 page system. Every spell you have is just some sort of fairly simple blast. I mean, you can't get the effects of even some at wills, let alone the large array of things that encounter/daily powers can do.

I understand and sympathize with what you want to do, and I think that in a game which has different objects than 4e this is a workable system. Its just that powers do a HUGE amount in 4e. They are the beating heart of the system, and FOR ME it wouldn't be 4e with just a small set of stock effects. In terms of exploring what makes 4e tick, and in presenting a different mix of game elements, I'm glad you've done this work. I know I sound critical, but I certainly don't want to sound like I'm putting it down. I just think that other aspects of the game have to be created or built up or redesigned to move the focus to something else, so that powers aren't doing so much work. Then this may be a more palatable option.

Finally, I think that one way it might work best is in a game which is not really all that tactical. One where combat is more about the effects of your choices and less about how you implement your tactics. In other words something like a non-tactical Story Now kind of a game would probably be fine with simplified powers. Wizard would probably get their awesome magical effects in somewhere outside of combat, and fighters would probably merge with warlords or something and become all about being leaders, etc. It would, in short, be a different sort of game entirely!

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
So, now you are introducing ANOTHER rule, some sort of 'how many times did you use this already' penalty count that has to be tracked (what for each and every power?). Its just another added bit of complexity, and given that there will be weaker or stronger incentives to spam different things there probably isn't even a specific single set of penalties that works ideally in every case. .

As long as the incentives are pretty subtle I think we can do the third option too... trust the players to not want to be boring.

As long as the incentives are pretty subtle I think we can do the third option too... trust the players to not want to be boring.

Hmmmmm, that doesn't sound much like the philosophy which has guided 4e people in the past ;)

I think its harsh to say to players, you can suck, or you can be boring. Take your pick! I'm not saying this idea has to give you those 2 choices exactly or absolutely, but that is how our 2009 vintage 4e advocate selves would put it...

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Hmmmmm, that doesn't sound much like the philosophy which has guided 4e people in the past ;)

I think its harsh to say to players, you can suck, or you can be boring. Take your pick! I'm not saying this idea has to give you those 2 cNOhoices exactly or absolutely, but that is how our 2009 vintage 4e advocate selves would put it...

It takes little effort to NOT suck in 4e .. I think that is the goal (ie NOT sucking should be easy and in context that means NOT being boring shouldnt make you suck.

MwaO

Adventurer
Well if Orcus wins initiative he Last Words your character, uses Curse of Brittle Bones, Death from Above, Action Points and uses Wrath of Orcus. He autoblocks your first Annihilation attempt, uses another Action Point on round 2 and assuming you hit with an eventual Annihilation attack and bloody him it just triggers into gaining another attack AND another Action Point.

That said, I do see the sort of problems you are talking about.

It 'might' be better to have:

Disintigration = +1/2 Bloodied Value Damage on a Crit

Annihilation = +Bloodied Value Damage on a Crit

I think you're forgetting Dominate/Stun+Fragile…Dominate/Stun Orcus so he can't use free actions, Fragile him, then let the party Wizard blast 'em with Annihilate on their turn, then AP to ready to Annihilate as soon as someone else puts Stunned+Fragile on him.

Monsters do not use the same rules as the PCs. No effect that the PCs can consistently do should ever allow them to repeatedly do 1/4 of a Solo's hp. Because they will use it and then every Solo has to have a way to stop it. Which is a boring outcome of rocket tag.

Also, Orcus can't actually beat an init-optimized Epic PC on an initiative roll. +39 isn't that difficult to get to and then that's that - for a Wizard, Wis or Cha to Initiative feat+Superior Reflexes+a +8 from somewhere else. Say a Warlord in the party or a number of options that will add up to +8 or higher with 2 of them.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases