D&D 4E Revised 4E Wizard Class with Freeform Spellcasting System

Tony Vargas

Legend
Right, its fine to subvert these, at times. There should be a Lightning power that immobilizes instead of pushing, or whatever. Obviously 4e conditions are also pretty general things, so you're going to have a good bit of overlap. I found it a bit confusing though that you could get such a huge variety of effects out of what were described as basically almost the same thing.
In another thread, Manbearcat was commenting how people into story games had easily gotten into 4e, I was big into Hero in the 90s, and that made 4e easy to get into in spite of having all the longtime-D&Der preconcieved notions, for exactly the reason you mention - the way the game combined a few simple, clear keywords into a plethora of powers, that each could then represent a variety of things just by defining your own flavor text - was very much a strength of Hero's build system, as well.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
In another thread, Manbearcat was commenting how people into story games had easily gotten into 4e, I was big into Hero in the 90s, and that made 4e easy to get into in spite of having all the longtime-D&Der preconcieved notions, for exactly the reason you mention - the way the game combined a few simple, clear keywords into a plethora of powers, that each could then represent a variety of things just by defining your own flavor text - was very much a strength of Hero's build system, as well.

I too found the connection to Hero refreshing and empowering

Remove ads