I hate death saves. Propose your solution.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Don't worry about me. What would you find fun. I'm more than capable of dismissing it as not fun to me if it doesn't sound fun to me. If I knew every implementation of an unconscious state I could answer you. I don't so I can't tell you if all are unfun. I just know the one in the 5e PHB with death saves is unfun.

I’m really not interested in throwing designs at a wall until one sticks, so unles you can give me some kind of input, I’m not interested in participating. Good luck finding one you do like out of the suggestions others make.

Tony Vargas

Legend
Well if you want that I think you can't look at all the time death saves because making that happen everytime you drop to 0 isn't really creating that kind of story either.
Death saves give you a fair chance of stabilizing and waking up 1d4 hours later.

So it potentially delivers it for maybe half of heroes.

You know what would be freaking awesome. Giving a player a very small chance to not die after reaching 0 hp. Like a flat d20 roll of 19-20 or maybe just 20 and you instead drop unconscious and will regain consciousness in 1d4 hours could be cool.
Could be a good general rule, it makes 'left for dead' scenarios plausible, because murderous bad guys can be murderous for a while without anyone living on them...

..retains the trope as a backstory element.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
And see, this suggestion doesn’t even involve death at 0 HP, which was your only stated criteria. Yet you say you could go with this system, and I’m pretty sure you wouldn’t go with a system that worked identically to the current one but started at 3 HO and made you lose 1 every time you got a failed death save. So I’m getting the impression that the number of HP you die at isn’t really your key issue, and I’m trying to better understand what is. If you explain WHY you don’t like the system as weritten, it will be much easier to devise one you will like better.

So your point is that my original question was inconsistent with where I'm at now? My point is, so what?

FrogReaver

Death saves give you a fair chance of stabilizing and waking up 1d4 hours later.

So it potentially delivers it for maybe half of heroes.

Could be a good general rule, it makes 'left for dead' scenarios plausible, because murderous bad guys can be murderous for a while without anyone living on them...

..retains the trope as a backstory element.

I'd say they give an overly generous chance of stabilizing and that the action hero beat to a pulp trope is done damage when it happens to often in the game. But good discussion and thoughts.

Hawk Diesel

Adventurer
I've defined it. It's not that hard. What would you do if you were going to remove death saves?

I'm with [MENTION=6779196]Charlaquin[/MENTION]. I presented an idea that removed death saves. But if you aren't even willing to engage in trying to clarify what you are looking to achieve outside of the concrete "Let's get rid of Death Saves!" I don't know that it is worth continuing. You don't need help removing death saves. That's a mechanic. Mechanics are made for specific intentions or goals for how the games run. They do not exist in a vacuum. Mechanics are easy to create, but mechanics that satisfy specific design or game goals require much more thought and nuance.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
So your point is that my original question was inconsistent with where I'm at now? My point is, so what?

My point is, designing without clear design goals leads to shoddy, unfocused mechanics. Give me something to work with, and I can design mechanics that satisfy your goals effectively, but if you just tell me to make whatever I feel like, I’m not going to waste my time.

FrogReaver

I guess. I could, if you’d tell me what you want out of this design. But if you don’t want to do that for some reason, then no, I don’t have anything to add.

Apparently you want to help by solving some puzzle of me wanting x and y and z and then finding perfect puzzle piece that can include all of them. That's not what this thread is. It's literally a brain storm session. Propose a solution. Be creative. It's not an engineering problem, it's an art problem.

If you have a specific question about whether I like something I'll answer as best as I can but if you start talking super general non-specific mechanics then the best I can probably give you at this point is maybe.

Remove ads