An "Insightful" Question

Oofta

Legend
Generally speaking, for me the check to recognize the monster and recall facts you've heard about the creature about comes before someone suggest "we need to kill it with fire". Since so many of my monsters are homebrew to one degree or another (a troll is a 12HD fairy in my game, not a 6HD giant) this is pretty darn essential to play. But if a player recognizes a troll (rather than a character) and says, "Oh, these things have to be killed with fire.", I don't chide them for it. What's he supposed to do, pretend for a few rounds that he doesn't know to burn a troll before allowing himself to behave rationally? How could he ever know how many rounds it would take him to figure it out, or that absent his metagame knowledge he might have on a whim decided to open with burning hands or scorching ray anyway? It's not worth sweating, and if I was really that invested in this fight with the troll I should have taken into account the player's metagame knowledge as a possibility.

Though, I don't think I would metagame their metagame knowledge by presenting them with a fire loving troll without a clue to that fact.

I doubt I'll ever use the fire-loving troll myself unless I make it obvious. Something along the lines of "it looks like a troll, but it's hair has been replaced by fire and it's eyes are glowing."

But let's say it's gargoyles, and something fairly unique to my world. The fighter smashes it with their non-magical warhammer but the blows are ineffective assuming it would have hit.

Personally, I do call people out if they use their knowledge of the MM to say they need a magic weapon unless I think it's reasonable that they would know this. But that's just me. I do the same thing when I play. I may know that I need silver or magic weapons to hurt a werewolf, but if my character doesn't know that he's going to start freaking out a little bit when my sword doesn't work. To me, that's just part of the game.

Which goes back the OP. It's my style/preference to have people roll their own checks so they feel more invested. I trust them to not use meta-game knowledge. It works for our group, different groups will vary.

Celebrim

Legend
I do the same thing when I play. I may know that I need silver or magic weapons to hurt a werewolf, but if my character doesn't know that he's going to start freaking out a little bit when my sword doesn't work. To me, that's just part of the game.

I leave it up to the player to decide their own aesthetic preferences. This only gets to be a problem when players are deeply invested in those preferences and they contradict, such as the "step on up" player complaining that the thespian isn't pulling their weight in the fight versus this werewolf, while the thespian complains that the guy with competitive aesthetics is ruining the story by acting on his metagame knowledge. At that point, yeah, I might have to step in and settle a dispute, but otherwise how to act on their own metagame knowledge is up to the player and I don't sweat it as a GM anymore beyond using procedures of play that dole out in-game knowledge fairly according to what characters ought to know while avoiding giving the players in-game knowledge that they wouldn't have.

Last edited:

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
I doubt I'll ever use the fire-loving troll myself unless I make it obvious. Something along the lines of "it looks like a troll, but it's hair has been replaced by fire and it's eyes are glowing."

But let's say it's gargoyles, and something fairly unique to my world. The fighter smashes it with their non-magical warhammer but the blows are ineffective assuming it would have hit.

Personally, I do call people out if they use their knowledge of the MM to say they need a magic weapon unless I think it's reasonable that they would know this. But that's just me. I do the same thing when I play. I may know that I need silver or magic weapons to hurt a werewolf, but if my character doesn't know that he's going to start freaking out a little bit when my sword doesn't work. To me, that's just part of the game.

Which goes back the OP. It's my style/preference to have people roll their own checks so they feel more invested. I trust them to not use meta-game knowledge. It works for our group, different groups will vary.
I've found I just don't care about it anymore. I prefer not dancing around player knowledge. Instead, I don't count on the monster gimmick to carry the excitement of the contest; instead, I count on the players knowing and focus on making it a memorable encounter anyway. Even with custom critters, I foreshadow or describe it's traits straight up. I find I enjoy the "oh, crap" even more when they onow it's coming and it's still scary than when they have no clue and just got blindsided (or pretended as much).

I guess the short form is that I'm now getting more fun out of seeing what happens rather than surprising the players with monster abilities. Especially if tge surprise is pretended.

YMMV, of course, and my style of play does preclude certain story types, so it's definitely not the "best" or even "better" style. It is, though, a lot easier on me because I don't feel like I have to police the players on this aspect of the game. Police is a strong word, but I'm at a loss for a better to convey the meaning.

Celebrim

Legend
Or, alternatively, have consequences that don't involve deceiving players.

I know this is a style of play that has long tradition, and I'm not attacking it. I'm illustrating a different path (which I unabashedly advocate for).

A failure doesn't have to mean you don't know or think the opposite, it can mean the NPC notices your suspicsion, doesn't like it and reacts accordingly. The "accordingly" takes into account the social situation and the NPCs motivations.

Ok, sure. But for me that relies way too much on DM whim, and further it fails a verisimilitude check. Properly speaking, the NPC's notice of the players suspicion shouldn't depend on a contest of the NPC's deceptive skill vs. the PC's perception, but rather on the contest of the NPC's perceptiveness versus the PC's deceptive skill. It's quite possible for a character to be deceitful but clueless or guileless by sensitive. And further this later contest is quite independent of the first one, so that a character could suspect that someone is suspicious independently of whether you successfully detected them lying.

So while your 'solution' may work for you, from where I'm standing it less accurately reflects the game world and its conceits than mine and treats the player far less fairly, in that one of the things I don't do players is impose failures on them without a chance of resisting. The only consequences failures have are the immediate and logical ones. If testing perception the only possible failure is of your perception. No matter how badly you fail your perception check, the worst that could happen is that you miss or mistake what is going on. We'd have to test something else to see if you gave away to the NPC that you were on to them, because again you might be the sort of person who has a perfect poker face even though you can never tell when someone else is bluffing. And further, it violates the standard that in general, a player ought to understand the stakes of any fortune test. To suggest that his face gave away his suspicions is to impose an action on him he didn't declare in the proposition we are resolving.

To violate that would violate my fundamental ethos of GMing, which is to be the GM I would want to have if I were a player.

Now, that said, I'm still mostly at loose ends for knowledge checks. I can't seem to find a way for there to be costs for failure that don't involve providing false information.

Given that by your own admission your standards and processes of play are incoherent, you are going to have to come up with a much stronger argument to convince me not to continue with mine however passionate your advocacy for them may be.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
Ok, sure. But for me that relies way too much on DM whim, and further it fails a verisimilitude check. Properly speaking, the NPC's notice of the players suspicion shouldn't depend on a contest of the NPC's deceptive skill vs. the PC's perception, but rather on the contest of the NPC's perceptiveness versus the PC's deceptive skill. It's quite possible for a character to be deceitful but clueless or guileless by sensitive. And further this later contest is quite independent of the first one, so that a character could suspect that someone is suspicious independently of whether you successfully detected them lying.

So while your 'solution' may work for you, from where I'm standing it less accurately reflects the game world and its conceits than mine and treats the player far less fairly, in that one of the things I don't do players is impose failures on them without a chance of resisting. The only consequences failures have are the immediate and logical ones. If testing perception the only possible failure is of your perception. No matter how badly you fail your perception check, the worst that could happen is that you miss or mistake what is going on. We'd have to test something else to see if you gave away to the NPC that you were on to them, because again you might be the sort of person who has a perfect poker face even though you can never tell when someone else is bluffing. And further, it violates the standard that in general, a player ought to understand the stakes of any fortune test. To suggest that his face gave away his suspicions is to impose an action on him he didn't declare in the proposition we are resolving.

To violate that would violate my fundamental ethos of GMing, which is to be the GM I would want to have if I were a player.

Given that by your own admission your standards and processes of play are incoherent, you are going to have to come up with a much stronger argument to convince me not to continue with mine however passionate your advocacy for them may be.

Whoa. You should climb down off that high horse lest you fall. Incoherent? No, sir, no such admission. I thonk knowledge skills are incoherent. Roll to remember? Nah. Incorporating them into active use (approach and goal) is challenging because of how 5e built them like 3e knowledge checks. I already purpose them to discover things -- ie, history lets you more easily discover knowledge while examining historical records or artifacts. Arcana is used to manipulate arcane energies ir discover things about arcane effects like magical traps. Religion lets you successfully lead prayers, which can grant effects based on congregation size (solves how non-cleric priest can hallow ground, for instance). And so on. What I have trouble with is reconciling the "I remember stuff" part.

As for the contest of deception vs insight, my example was discovering the source of nervousness, not an attempt to expise falsehood. I'll be glad to answer your questoon on how I'd handle that, but you should ask me instead of assuming my answer. Asking piercing questions to uncover a falsehood is not inobvious (approach and goal). A success, however, would mean that you tripped up the deceiver and everyone is now aware of the falsehood. A failure means you've embarrassed yourself and those around now firmly believe the lie or that the liar now has a superior position in the discussion. At no point would the result require the PC to believe anything.

Further, the assumption, based on nothing I can see, that I impose failure on players arbitrarily. Nothing is further from the truth. I make stakes explicit and, even more, overshare information. I'll quite often straight out tell the players that the NPC is lying because the challenge isn't to see if the players find out about the lie, but what they do about it. The suggestion that I'd have my players guess if I'm lying is outlandish, and nothing I've ever said on this forum should give you that idea unless your assuming things I'm not saying.

This misunderstanding is on you. You've assumed rather than asked; insulted rather than clarify. I'd like to continue a cordial discussion, regardless, if you think you could refrain from this in the future.

Celebrim

Legend
Whoa. You should climb down off that high horse lest you fall...This misunderstanding is on you. You've assumed rather than asked; insulted rather than clarify. I'd like to continue a cordial discussion, regardless, if you think you could refrain from this in the future.

I'm not sure that I insulted you, and certainly didn't do so on purpose, but if you feel insulted I apologize. You are correct that I made assumptions about your process of play that may not be true, and I know how annoying it is to be misunderstood. It's a particular peeve of mine, so I apologize for any misreading of your statement.

Incoherent? No, sir, no such admission. I thonk knowledge skills are incoherent.

Ok, so the way knowledge skills are written in 5e is forcing some degree of incoherence on your procedures of play because you don't think they work according to the pattern the other skills are designed with, namely that the other skills assume active, goal oriented, tangible activity? Is that a fairer summation of the situation in your opinion? Because, I agree that that is true, though in my case that wouldn't bother me.

Roll to remember? Nah. Incorporating them into active use (approach and goal) is challenging because of how 5e built them like 3e knowledge checks. I already purpose them to discover things -- ie, history lets you more easily discover knowledge while examining historical records or artifacts. Arcana is used to manipulate arcane energies ir discover things about arcane effects like magical traps. Religion lets you successfully lead prayers, which can grant effects based on congregation size (solves how non-cleric priest can hallow ground, for instance). And so on.

I certainly do most of that with Int based 3e skills and would consider that valid things to be doing with even 3e skills, with the exception of not feeling the need to allow non-clerics to hallow ground because I'm ok with my game world having a lot of clerics but that's more of a setting decision than a process of play.

I don't however have any problem reconciling "I remember stuff" because as far as I'm concerned all fortune rolls are just resolving a doubtful proposition, and "I might already know something about this before..." is a both a plausible (not 0% chance) but doubtful proposition (not 100% chance). The rest for me is just details needed only to make the fortune check and its resolution model more closely the thing being contested. I have on one hand no problem demanding the PC phrase things in an active use (approach and goal) when the intention of the proposition or contest demands it, or clarifying a vague proposition with a more active and specific wording, or forcing him to give a proposition rather than just asking if he can make a check, and I also have no problem with the proposition, "I might already know something about this because I'm educated..." For me, unity of mechanics is not really even an important goal, and indeed is something that I tend to think is self-defeating. For me, what is important about mechanics is that they model something, and since in the real world different things are well, different, that the mechanics that model them be different is desirable.

As for the contest of deception vs insight, my example was discovering the source of nervousness, not an attempt to expise falsehood..Asking piercing questions to uncover a falsehood is not inobvious (approach and goal).

Well, first of all, you responded to me; I didn't respond to you. In the post you were quoting, I had responded to the OP's concerns by way of MarkB, concerning the questions and concerns the OP had raised (and MarkB had re-emphasized) which were about detecting deception. At no point should you have thought that was a response to anything you had said, so your example regarding discovering the source of nervousness where ever the heck that occurs in this thread is not particularly germane either to my post that you quoted or to how I answered you, because I was going on the apparently erroneous assumption that what you said actually followed logically from what I had said and not in fact on some other conversation you were having that I was not a part of.

However, misunderstandings aside, now that I'm more caught up, I am immensely curious as to how you actually would run that, even though it as far as I can tell irrelevant to how you would run the scenario the OP was talking about. I am still also quite willing to hear you explain your thoughts on a deception vs. insight contest, simply because I enjoy hearing about approaches that are wildly different than my own.

My apparently erroneous assumption that you used 'success with consequence' techniques or 'partial success' techniques to invent complications for a scene not based on the stakes of the proposition was based on my faulty assumption that when you replied to me you were discussing the original poster's 'insight' versus 'deception' contest where the conventional interpretation is a hearer was attempting to decide whether the speaker was lying. I therefore assumed when you said that a consequence of failure might be that the speaker realizes you were suspicious, that you were saying that the speaker could detect that the hearer had failed to realize that they were lying. I have only just now in going back through the thread to try to figure out what you are talking about discovered the post on the thread where you explained that you'd adopted novel house rules with respect to how you apply and interpret the 'insight' skill, and while that's illuminating regarding where you are coming from, I certainly wasn't paying any attention to you or that at the time I originally posted.

When I said that "If testing perception the only possible failure is of your perception." I was assuming that we were talking about "insight" as written as a passive perception skill, and not insight as a skill of active interrogation, innuendo, or rhetoric - approaches that would have me calling for some other skill than insight - because that is what the OP was talking about and what I was talking about. So that is the source of my confusion.

Once again, you quoted me; I didn't quote you. I didn't enter into your conversation. I don't see how I'm supposed to know what thread of conversation you are continuing or why the burden of figuring out that you were talking about something quite tangential to what I was talking about falls on me. If I'm guilty of making assumptions, the chief of those is that your reply had something to do with what I was talking about, which it apparently it either did not or was only tangentially related to my comment.

And frankly, I'm still confused because you've gotten very upset that I suggested that you impose failure on players arbitrarily, and yet you have also suggested as a consequence of asking a penetrating question that the result of failure be, "...those around now firmly believe the lie" Now, that is an example that would be classified by me as a consequence that doesn't logically follow on failure to ask a penetrating question and which is arbitrarily imposed, as surely those hearing the conversation are allowed to still keep their own judgements regarding the truthfulness of the target, despite your embarrassing ineptitude? After all, they have their own insight skills and draw their own conclusions. They might have detected a falsehood you failed to. They may think you are very rude and socially awkward or that you were very stupid to have challenged your target in public so ineptly on the basis of the evidence at hand (what you've just done), but the failure of your insight doesn't make people around you less insightful, I would think.

For my part, I try to role-play NPCs and unless the NPC is a very good liar indeed, I try to roleplay someone who is lying or nervous or trying to avoid a subject according to the NPCs motivations, so that quite often the 'sense motive' check to determine if an NPC is lying is only of a help to players who themselves aren't very perceptive (or when I do a poor job acting). That 'sense motives' only confirm what the players already have good reason to suspect has become so prevalent in the campaign as to be a running gag. And as for me, I'd tend to actually run a piercing question by the PC as actual role-play with an actual piercing question (or two or three), and as a conversation and only after the conversation has run a while would skill checks to gain insights about the NPC's motives or truthfulness happen, or social skill checks to see if the NPC was swayed, intimidated or tricked into something be called for depending on the players agenda and the exact form the conversation had taken. In my case, "the approach" is an actual in character statement given in the form of dialogue, and players must do that before they earn a skill call. So, as you might expect from that process of play, since I'm always acting out NPCs, players try to guess whether I'm lying all the time. It was not intended as an insult, and further I'm not sure where you got the idea that I thought you had your players guess if you were lying, since nothing like that had entered my mind at the time of my prior post - interesting though the topic is.

I understand the whole process of play that involves never hiding the facts from the players but instead assuming that the players will get the facts, and making the whole challenge not uncovering secrets but rather figuring out how to act on them. GUMSHOE and Trail of Cthulhu for example are games that write that process of play into the rules as an assumption of play. And I know where that is coming from because I know how a game can stagnant if you aren't careful when it so happens that the players can't get the facts. But I'm a pretty hard core simulationist, and my experience of real life is that we don't always have the facts to act on and we are often mistaken in our facts and beliefs, and I don't want to forgo that in my play and there are other techniques you can use to jump start the action when you have a plot stall.

pming

Legend
Hiya.

Question - in combat, if a player rolls a 2 and misses and another player rolls a 19 and misses do you "allow" them to draw conclusions and make decisions based on those results?

Sure...but combat is usually a LOT more easily deducible? With a 19, the PC is pretty sure he really should have 'hit' just about anyone...but the PC who just barely avoided stabbing himself in the foot probably draws the conclusion he wasn't going to hit the broad side of a barn with that swing. When the numbers get closer together, that's when it gets more tricky.

I don't tell the Players what the AC of the target is until someone actually hits it or comes within 1 point of it to either side (so yeah, if you roll 25 and the AC is 20 I'm NOT going to tell you it's AC 20). Sometimes this happens on the first swing of the first round...sometimes it doesn't happen for a while (or even ever in some cases).

In general I run my games more from the perspective of the PC's...not the Players looking at the sheets. This helps me understand the PC's individually as well as everyone else "getting" where a PC is coming from. I give more 'specific' info to PC's who would be able to logically have it...not just because they made a good roll necessarily. The closest I can come to explaining this shortly is lets say two PC's each get to make a History check to see if they recognize a particular coat of arms. Both PC's get the same result...a 17. PC A rolled a 14 +3 for stat, for a 17. PC B rolled a 13 +2 for stat and +2 for Proficiency, for a 17 total as well. I'll give the info to the PC who has the actual History skill, and would turn to the other PC who doesn't have it and possibly 'adjust' it to be ever so slightly different (e.g., "You agree that it is the Fellcray family coat of arms, but you can't remember if they were the good guys or the bad guys in the War of the Two Rivers"; while PC B would know more about their actual involvement in the War mentioned).

In short...your PC's history, background and 'write up', and actual Skills taken will tend to give you a more accurate and in-depth knowledge about something over someone who just has a high stat and rolled well.

...the guy who rolled a 19+9=28 miss decides he needs advantage to fight (or to switch to spells that target with saves instead of to-hit) but the guy who rolled a 2+9 = 11 miss decides its ok for him to just swing away is that a "problem" for you like a guy rolling high on perception?

As I said, combat is a little bit different...a little bit more 'obvious' to the PC's. So...the roll of 19 is almost a perfectly executed combat maneuver and SHOULD have hit just about anything. The roll of 2 is a complete and utter failure that may lead to some serious razzing and mocking after the fight ("Larry...wtf was that crazy double-side-step sideways-thrusting-slash thing you almost cut your own leg of with?! Seriously! Don't do that man! I almost busted out laughing in the middle of trying to not get my face eaten...shesh!... Oh, and Larry? You're buying tonight!" ;) ).

Are they "required" to roleplay those misses as if the D20 is an unknowable thing with no real analog in the game world the character can consider?

Same with saves - does "my wisdom save is a 19+9 28 FAILS" need to be treated as "no info just failed" just like a "my save was a 2+9=11" does?

i suspect (based on my experience) that in many games when a 28 wisdom save fails or a 28 to-hit fails, the players and the characters would "take notice" and tactics and choices in play might change.

have you never seen that?

I think you are misunderstanding how it all works in my game. Higher numbers always help the player, obviously...the games entire system is based on "high = good". However, just because one person rolls high and another doesn't does not equate to the same "information about pass/fail" being imparted to the individual PC. The players are free to RP how they see it...and my players will happily role-play making stupid/bad decisions based on what they perceive their characters to have, er, perceived.

What I was trying to get at with the Insight/Deception is that because there is no outwardly obvious "tell", to the majority of PC's, if someone is being untruthful, the player rolling high or low isn't a "dead giveaway" to the actual truth of the matter. Combat has more obvious/visual tells that can give a PC a pretty good idea of the capability of his opponent.

Now, brace yourself...something I DIDN'T mention in my original post that I really REALLY should have...is that with a lot of Player rolls regarding stuff their PC is "unaware of", I will either roll for them behind the screen, or have them drop a die behind the screen for me. I'll ask for their bonus to Insight, for example, or for their Stealth, or whatever. This is NOT done all the time. Often I'll just let the player roll his own Insight, Stealth, or whatever...because my players tend to not 'abuse' the high/low outcome of the die roll. So a roll of 19 and I still say "He seems to be telling the truth from what you can surmise", they will STILL have their character be a bit suspicious and will Roleplay accordingly. They may be "accepting" that the NPC isn't lying, but they'll still RP their PC "keeping an eye on him", and will ask other 'sneaky' questions throughout the game to see if the NPC messes up.

Me and most of my group have been playing together for a long time. We all "get" how we play and that's the point. What works at my table for my group may not work for others...and vice versa. That's the beauty of RPG'ing! All playing the same game, but nobody having the same experience! :D

^_^

Paul L. Ming

5ekyu

Hero
Hiya.

Sure...but combat is usually a LOT more easily deducible? With a 19, the PC is pretty sure he really should have 'hit' just about anyone...but the PC who just barely avoided stabbing himself in the foot probably draws the conclusion he wasn't going to hit the broad side of a barn with that swing. When the numbers get closer together, that's when it gets more tricky.

I don't tell the Players what the AC of the target is until someone actually hits it or comes within 1 point of it to either side (so yeah, if you roll 25 and the AC is 20 I'm NOT going to tell you it's AC 20). Sometimes this happens on the first swing of the first round...sometimes it doesn't happen for a while (or even ever in some cases).

In general I run my games more from the perspective of the PC's...not the Players looking at the sheets. This helps me understand the PC's individually as well as everyone else "getting" where a PC is coming from. I give more 'specific' info to PC's who would be able to logically have it...not just because they made a good roll necessarily. The closest I can come to explaining this shortly is lets say two PC's each get to make a History check to see if they recognize a particular coat of arms. Both PC's get the same result...a 17. PC A rolled a 14 +3 for stat, for a 17. PC B rolled a 13 +2 for stat and +2 for Proficiency, for a 17 total as well. I'll give the info to the PC who has the actual History skill, and would turn to the other PC who doesn't have it and possibly 'adjust' it to be ever so slightly different (e.g., "You agree that it is the Fellcray family coat of arms, but you can't remember if they were the good guys or the bad guys in the War of the Two Rivers"; while PC B would know more about their actual involvement in the War mentioned).

In short...your PC's history, background and 'write up', and actual Skills taken will tend to give you a more accurate and in-depth knowledge about something over someone who just has a high stat and rolled well.

As I said, combat is a little bit different...a little bit more 'obvious' to the PC's. So...the roll of 19 is almost a perfectly executed combat maneuver and SHOULD have hit just about anything. The roll of 2 is a complete and utter failure that may lead to some serious razzing and mocking after the fight ("Larry...wtf was that crazy double-side-step sideways-thrusting-slash thing you almost cut your own leg of with?! Seriously! Don't do that man! I almost busted out laughing in the middle of trying to not get my face eaten...shesh!... Oh, and Larry? You're buying tonight!" ;) ).

I think you are misunderstanding how it all works in my game. Higher numbers always help the player, obviously...the games entire system is based on "high = good". However, just because one person rolls high and another doesn't does not equate to the same "information about pass/fail" being imparted to the individual PC. The players are free to RP how they see it...and my players will happily role-play making stupid/bad decisions based on what they perceive their characters to have, er, perceived.

What I was trying to get at with the Insight/Deception is that because there is no outwardly obvious "tell", to the majority of PC's, if someone is being untruthful, the player rolling high or low isn't a "dead giveaway" to the actual truth of the matter. Combat has more obvious/visual tells that can give a PC a pretty good idea of the capability of his opponent.

Now, brace yourself...something I DIDN'T mention in my original post that I really REALLY should have...is that with a lot of Player rolls regarding stuff their PC is "unaware of", I will either roll for them behind the screen, or have them drop a die behind the screen for me. I'll ask for their bonus to Insight, for example, or for their Stealth, or whatever. This is NOT done all the time. Often I'll just let the player roll his own Insight, Stealth, or whatever...because my players tend to not 'abuse' the high/low outcome of the die roll. So a roll of 19 and I still say "He seems to be telling the truth from what you can surmise", they will STILL have their character be a bit suspicious and will Roleplay accordingly. They may be "accepting" that the NPC isn't lying, but they'll still RP their PC "keeping an eye on him", and will ask other 'sneaky' questions throughout the game to see if the NPC messes up.

Me and most of my group have been playing together for a long time. We all "get" how we play and that's the point. What works at my table for my group may not work for others...and vice versa. That's the beauty of RPG'ing! All playing the same game, but nobody having the same experience! :D

^_^

Paul L. Ming

Where we disagree is on this

"What I was trying to get at with the Insight/Deception is that because there is no outwardly obvious "tell", to the majority of PC's, if someone is being untruthful, the player rolling high or low isn't a "dead giveaway" to the actual truth of the matter. Combat has more obvious/visual tells that can give a PC a pretty good idea of the capability of his opponent. "

I bet if you asked many poker players, many detectives and many behavior stypes they will tell you there usually are tells that someone is lying. Its not some mystery sixth sense or glimpse from beyond that lets one person be good at knowing whether or not someone is lying and others be good at hiding when they are lying etc. Its also not a mystery (IMO) when you can get a good read or a not good read - as i have described in a number of places - just like the Gm can feed in narrative bits to "show" that was a sucky swing" vs "that was a great swing" even tho they both missed or both hit- a Gm can add in similar details for narrative to other things that rely on character perception.

Again, this is irrespective of the success/fail - just a choice to narrate the observations in a way that either give info on "quality" or hide info on "quality."

For me if you roll a 2 on a tracking ability check, you get info that shows you that while you did or did not find anything, its a lousy result and so may be inaccurate. if you roll a 19, you get info that paints it as a clear solid read - whether it showed tracks or not. just like with the sword swing or the bow shot or the insight check or the stealth roll.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
I'm not sure that I insulted you, and certainly didn't do so on purpose, but if you feel insulted I apologize.  You are correct that I made assumptions about your process of play that may not be true, and I know how annoying it is to be misunderstood.  It's a particular peeve of mine, so I apologize for any misreading of your statement.

No problem.  Thanks.

[/quote]
Ok, so the way knowledge skills are written in 5e is forcing some degree of incoherence on your procedures of play because you don't think they work according to the pattern the other skills are designed with, namely that the other skills assume active, goal oriented, tangible activity?  Is that a fairer summation of the situation in your opinion?  Because, I agree that that is true, though in my case that wouldn't bother me. 

I certainly do most of that with Int based 3e skills and would consider that valid things to be doing with even 3e skills, with the exception of not feeling the need to allow non-clerics to hallow ground because I'm ok with my game world having a lot of clerics but that's more of a setting decision than a process of play. 

I don't however have any problem reconciling "I remember stuff" because as far as I'm concerned all fortune rolls are just resolving a doubtful proposition, and "I might already know something about this before..." is a both a plausible (not 0% chance) but doubtful proposition (not 100% chance).  The rest for me is just details needed only to make the fortune check and its resolution model more closely the thing being contested.  I have on one hand no problem demanding the PC phrase things in an active use (approach and goal) when the intention of the proposition or contest demands it, or clarifying a vague proposition with a more active and specific wording, or forcing him to give a proposition rather than just asking if he can make a check, and I also have no problem with the proposition, "I might already know something about this because I'm educated..."  For me, unity of mechanics is not really even an important goal, and indeed is something that I tend to think is self-defeating.  For me, what is important about mechanics is that they model something, and since in the real world different things are well, different, that the mechanics that model them be different is desirable.
[/quote]

Yes, the way the knowledge skills are designed and predominately used isn’t in line with the other skills.  They usually don’t follow the ‘state a goal and approach’ format of action declaration.  I dislike this.  I’ve gravitated to not using rolls for recollection and instead just check proficiency.  If yes, then I give the info, if no, they don’t know.  This requires a change in how information works in game – ie, knowing things doesn’t solve problems, it provides avenues of approach.  To me, knowing that trolls need fire to stop regeneration isn’t the critical part of that puzzle, it’s the application of fire.  Granted, in 5e, that’s largely trivial with many classes, but that’s not a good reason for me to gate information.

If the information is really obscure, then proficiency doesn’t cut it – if you couldn’t have been taught it, you don’t know it, and no amount of luck will change this.  This kind of information needs to be found through overcoming other challenges.

In short, I’m changing how information flow works from the ‘traditional’ methods.  This leaves knowledge skills still a bit at loose ends, because finding good applications of those skills with approach/goal action declarations is a bit harder that the other skills, still.

Well, first of all, you responded to me; I didn't respond to you.  In the post you were quoting, I had responded to the OP's concerns by way of MarkB, concerning the questions and concerns the OP had raised (and MarkB had re-emphasized) which were about detecting deception.  At no point should you have thought that was a response to anything you had said, so your example regarding discovering the source of nervousness where ever the heck that occurs in this thread is not particularly germane either to my post that you quoted or to how I answered you, because I was going on the apparently erroneous assumption that what you said actually followed logically from what I had said and not in fact on some other conversation you were having that I was not a part of.  

However, misunderstandings aside, now that I'm more caught up, I am immensely curious as to how you actually would run that, even though it as far as I can tell irrelevant to how you would run the scenario the OP was talking about.  I am still also quite willing to hear you explain your thoughts on a deception vs. insight contest, simply because I enjoy hearing about approaches that are wildly different than my own.

Mea culpa, this is true.

As for how I run the contest, the bottom line is that I will never tell the players that they believe an NPC – that’s the player’s choice.  I don’t have a contest where PCs use a lie detector to be sure of their own interpretation of the issue.  To that end, though, I overtell – if an NPC is lying, I give very strong clues as to this in the setup.  To me, fooling the players isn’t the objective, it’s what the players do with the cues.  I’ve found I can outright tell the players that an NPC is hiding things and not being fully honest and they’ll still go along with it.  An insight check to get this same information doesn’t seem to really alter the game much, so I don’t bother.
What does interest me is if the players decide to contest the lying NPC and expose them.  That contest is still insight vs deception, with a success meaning you’ve exposes the NPC’s lies and a failure meaning appropriate consequences given the scene.  For instance, trying to get the King’s advisor to admit to plotting against the kingdom in court would have strong negative consequences for a failure (and, for clarity, I wouldn’t hinge this scene on one roll, either) whereas confronting a lying shopkeeper with no witnesses may just get you thrown out of the shop.

My apparently erroneous assumption that you used 'success with consequence' techniques or 'partial success' techniques to invent complications for a scene not based on the stakes of the proposition was based on my faulty assumption that when you replied to me you were discussing the original poster's 'insight' versus 'deception' contest where the conventional interpretation is a hearer was attempting to decide whether the speaker was lying.  I therefore assumed when you said that a consequence of failure might be that the speaker realizes you were suspicious, that you were saying that the speaker could detect that the hearer had failed to realize that they were lying.  I have only just now in going back through the thread to try to figure out what you are talking about discovered the post on the thread where you explained that you'd adopted novel house rules with respect to how you apply and interpret the 'insight' skill, and while that's illuminating regarding where you are coming from, I certainly wasn't paying any attention to you or that at the time I originally posted.

Well, even using the traditional approach, I strongly encourage having the speaker tell the listener is suspicious on a failure.  If there’s no consequence to failure, I don’t believe in rolling.  Since the roll is to tell if the speaker is lying because you don’t know, and a failure is no change in state, then don’t roll.  Either say you can’t tell or add a consequence (clearly communicated prior to the roll).

When I said that "If testing perception the only possible failure is of your perception." I was assuming that we were talking about "insight" as written as a passive perception skill, and not insight as a skill of active interrogation, innuendo, or rhetoric - approaches that would have me calling for some other skill than insight - because that is what the OP was talking about and what I was talking about.  So that is the source of my confusion. 

Once again, you quoted me; I didn't quote you.  I didn't enter into your conversation.  I don't see how I'm supposed to know what thread of conversation you are continuing or why the burden of figuring out that you were talking about something quite tangential to what I was talking about falls on me.  If I'm guilty of making assumptions, the chief of those is that your reply had something to do with what I was talking about, which it apparently it either did not or was only tangentially related to my comment.

And frankly, I'm still confused because you've gotten very upset that I suggested that you impose failure on players arbitrarily, and yet you have also suggested as a consequence of asking a penetrating question that the result of failure be, "...those around now firmly believe the lie"  Now, that is an example that would be classified by me as a consequence that doesn't logically follow on failure to ask a penetrating question and which is arbitrarily imposed, as surely those hearing the conversation are allowed to still keep their own judgements regarding the truthfulness of the target, despite your embarrassing ineptitude?  After all, they have their own insight skills and draw their own conclusions.  They might have detected a falsehood you failed to.  They may think you are very rude and socially awkward or that you were very stupid to have challenged your target in public so ineptly on the basis of the evidence at hand (what you've just done), but the failure of your insight doesn't make people around you less insightful, I would think.  

NPCs listening.  Again, I don’t tell players what their PCs think.  NPCs are manipulated by skill checks, players aren’t.  This result was to say that other NPCs listening are convinced that the liar is telling the truth.  After all, he just defended his statements against questioning, yeah?

For my part, I try to role-play NPCs and unless the NPC is a very good liar indeed, I try to roleplay someone who is lying or nervous or trying to avoid a subject according to the NPCs motivations, so that quite often the 'sense motive' check to determine if an NPC is lying is only of a help to players who themselves aren't very perceptive (or when I do a poor job acting).  That 'sense motives' only confirm what the players already have good reason to suspect has become so prevalent in the campaign as to be a running gag.  And as for me, I'd tend to actually run a piercing question by the PC as actual role-play with an actual piercing question (or two or three), and as a conversation and only after the conversation has run a while would skill checks to gain insights about the NPC's motives or truthfulness happen, or social skill checks to see if the NPC was swayed, intimidated or tricked into something be called for depending on the players agenda and the exact form the conversation had taken.  In my case, "the approach" is an actual in character statement given in the form of dialogue, and players must do that before they earn a skill call.  So, as you might expect from that process of play, since I'm always acting out NPCs, players try to guess whether I'm lying all the time.   It was not intended as an insult, and further I'm not sure where you got the idea that I thought you had your players guess if you were lying, since nothing like that had entered my mind at the time of my prior post - interesting though the topic is.

Yes, I absolutely provide information.  I also act, and enjoy it, but I’ve gotten into the habit of providing a narration alongside it.  For instance, in the case of the nervous NPC example above, I’d likely say:

“Okay, you’re talking to Bob the Smith and asking him if he’s heard anything about the murders.  Bob looks very nervous, and is constantly looking over your shoulders and out the door as if checking to make sure no one else is there.  ‘N-n-no.  No.  No I haven’t.  I-I-I don’t meddle and I won’t see anything.  Don’t see anything.  I mean, didn’t see anything.’  He glances at the door again.”

I tell and act.  Heck, I overtell.

I understand the whole process of play that involves never hiding the facts from the players but instead assuming that the players will get the facts, and making the whole challenge not uncovering secrets but rather figuring out how to act on them.  GUMSHOE and Trail of Cthulhu for example are games that write that process of play into the rules as an assumption of play.  And I know where that is coming from because I know how a game can stagnant if you aren't careful when it so happens that the players can't get the facts.  But I'm a pretty hard core simulationist, and my experience of real life is that we don't always have the facts to act on and we are often mistaken in our facts and beliefs, and I don't want to forgo that in my play and there are other techniques you can use to jump start the action when you have a plot stall.

I’m honestly no longer sure what simulationist means, in any real sense.  I’m aware of the Forge meaning, which isn’t what most people are trying to say (like all Forge definitions), so I’m going with a default of ‘I like my worlds to seem real.’  I like that, as well.  There’s a few approaches that can do this, though, and I’ve found I’m drifting more and more away from a hard-sim approach and still getting that lived-in and real world for my players.  As a player, I’ve finding I’m more and more annoyed by gating knowledge behind rolls, as when a failure is rolled the game grinds to a halt.  As a DM, I became equally tired of this – calling for a roll because a roll could be made and then having a failure derail things.  So, I’ve stopped.  I overtell, now, and it hasn’t ruined my game.  My current mantra is that if you give the players perfect knowledge, they’ll still screw it up by the numbers.  I don’t have to hide things to create drama, I just have to engage the players and work their motivations and the drama inevitably follows.

Now, I’m not in the ‘searching for a secret door creates one’ space for D&D (it works when I’m running Blades in the Dark, but that’s a very different system), but I push for approach and goal in action declarations and work everything off of that.  If the player declares they’re going to get the advisor to admit their plot in the King’s court by questioning him, well, unless they’ve done the work to get evidence to back up their claims and unless they’ve done some work to gain favor in the court so they have standing to bring the charges, that’s just going to fail.  But, if they do those things, the insight vs the advisor’s deception (probably with advantage for having favor and the advisor at disadvantage due to presented evidence) will reveal the subterfuge to the whole court on a success.  On a failure, the PCs will be embarrassed and the court will not hear these charges again and the advisor will not be under suspicion – until something changes.  But, this is a high risk/high reward setup, and I’m going to be fine running a failure where the players have to come up with a new plan.  Now, if the evidence is slam-dunk, there’s no roll, the advisor is exposed and has to flee.  The above assumes the outcome is uncertain (evidence is circumstantial, etc).

Thanks for the discussion!

Celebrim

Legend
Yes, the way the knowledge skills are designed and predominately used isn’t in line with the other skills.

Well, part of that assumes that "state a goal and approach" was intended as a hard rule-like process of play and not just good guideline for how to encourage good interactive RP. The fact that you've reimagined at least one skill - insight - to make it more active and less passive suggests that what you call "in line with the other skills" is a more ubiquitous problem. For me, it's a non-problem. It's only a problem if you are insisting in applying a validation filter on all player propositions that they must "state a goal and an approach" and that otherwise it is not a proper proposition. Attempting to control the processes of play to achieve a particular game experience is a very post-Forge Indy like approach to the game, but I'm not sure that it is a necessary one. It's more of a preferred style.

Granted, in 5e, that’s largely trivial with many classes, but that’s not a good reason for me to gate information.

The danger is that you end resolving a non-trivial number of doubtful situations by fiat. You've basically forced yourself to adopt a process of play were all knowledge is either known (100% chance of success) or unknown (0% chance of success). But this does not account for PC background or PC downtime. It's entirely consistent to setting for a character that spent 8 years in some sort of apprenticeship, and maybe a couple of years practicing a profession before starting play to have acquired a large but not comprehensive body of knowledge about the setting that the player themselves simply doesn't have. One thing you might have gathered that I don't like is a situation where I'm effectively choosing before or during the session how to resolve doubtful propositions based on my meta-game knowledge of the PC's stats. For instance, I objected to passive perception versus static DC's, because - since I know the Pc's passive perception score - then whenever I place a challenge I'm in the position of deciding how I want the challenge to play out. And for me, knowledge is exactly the same issue. Sure, there is a certain amount of that going on, since I could always set the DC to be trivial (DC 5) or ridiculous (DC 45), but at least in that case what I'm supposed to be basing my decision on is whether it is knowledge 'known to practically everyone' or 'known to the gods, and maybe not all of them' and I can make that sort of estimation with confidence.

For example, when the party encounters a monster for the first time, it's often a homebrew monster, but a character with the right knowledge still might recognize the monster and know some facts about it. I would also allow a PC to go to the library (approach) to discover something about a monster (goal) using the same skill, but I don't automatically assume that in researching vampires last month the player didn't skim through some facts about mummies that weren't at the time relevant but which comes to mind now, or that their mentor during their apprenticeship didn't force them to write a 5 page essay on each of the common sorts of corporeal undead.

And the same general approach applies to all sorts of knowledge.

If the information is really obscure, then proficiency doesn’t cut it – if you couldn’t have been taught it, you don’t know it, and no amount of luck will change this.  This kind of information needs to be found through overcoming other challenges.

My general approach to this is whether the information could have ended up in a book or other body of common lore. So you can't but through play learn where a murderer hid a murder weapon in an unsolved case, but pretty much anything that is known to someone and has historical or scientific significance could be known to you. Knowledge after all is testing your mastery of a body of lore.

This leaves knowledge skills still a bit at loose ends, because finding good applications of those skills with approach/goal action declarations is a bit harder that the other skills, still.

I don't think they problem is so much finding 'good applications'. The problem is that you can no longer find immediate applications. And by removing their immediate utility and limiting them only to matters of research and learning, you are pretty much making them useless except in very slow deliberate investigative campaigns that are quite different from the usual 'kick the doors down, fight the monsters, and take their stuff' assumptions of play that the D&D rules have traditionally primarily supported. As such, you are basically eliminating the worth of 'the adventuring scholar' which might otherwise be a valuable archetype, and relegating knowledge skills to the sort of NPC sages described in 1e AD&D.

As for how I run the contest, the bottom line is that I will never tell the players that they believe an NPC – that’s the player’s choice.

I never tell the players that they believe an NPC either. I tell the player that they are confident that that an NPC believes what they are saying, or doesn't believe what they are saying, or generally what emotion that the NPC is feeling and may be trying to hide, or broadly what motive seems to lie behind the NPC's actions. Rarely, an exceptionally unperceptive character may be deemed to have fumbled that their check and I tell them they are confident of something that is false, but that's not really a required process of play.

What does interest me is if the players decide to contest the lying NPC and expose them.

That is of interest to me too, but such a scene would be deemed at least as important as combat and would never be resolved with a single roll based off a single agenda and approach. That scene would be RPed out, with different rhetorical feints and parries and probably a raft of rolls contested or passive skills across a wide range of different proficiencies. And if the goal was 'expose them to some NPC' - convince the king his councilor is a scoundrel - then that might be determined ultimately by something cumulative to all the action. Just as an important combat might take an hour to resolve, so to we might spend an hour on the role-play of that scene, with dialogue ideally that could be turned into a screen play or novel of the scene that was so played out.

This result was to say that other NPCs listening are convinced that the liar is telling the truth.  After all, he just defended his statements against questioning, yeah?

Yes, but ultimately that is a test of NPC vs. NPC that depends on the relationship between those NPCs and their perceptiveness is only influenced by the behavior and success of the PC. So a PC might could induce a reaction test between two NPCs at some modifier on the roll, or the PC get an NPC to confess to an NPC, but just because you've made a very convincing argument it doesn't force the NPC to recognize how convincing it was. Indeed, multiple NPCs hearing the same argument might behave differently. One NPC implicitly trusts their spouse regardless of what arguments you bring forward. Another NPC is a fool and believes the spouse for flimsy and illogical reasons. And a third might realize you've presented really damning evidence, while a fourth might believe that though the evidence isn't compelling, they recognize the subtle cues that the spouse is actually lying.

I’m honestly no longer sure what simulationist means, in any real sense.  I’m aware of the Forge meaning, which isn’t what most people are trying to say (like all Forge definitions), so I’m going with a default of ‘I like my worlds to seem real.’

Define 'real' and we may be on the same page. I'm aware of the Forge meaning as well, but I won't discuss it because I can get myself in trouble when I discuss public figures in the gaming community critically. Suffice to say that your default, problematic though it is, is probably a more coherent definition than the Forge one. I think the Forge conversations were extremely valuable for the seriousness with which they examined game design as an intellectual exercise, but I think that much of what came out of GNS as something explored in and of itself is pretty worthless. By "simulationist" I mean really a game that treats exploration of setting as one of its principle aesthetics of play, and as such attempts to be internally consistent and tends to want to treat only the setting information as relevant to the adjudication of fortune.

Now, we could really digress here but one of the big ways that GNS goes wrong is it assumes that the three aesthetics of play they identified are mutually exclusive and so systems need to be designed to deliver that one aesthetic of play. However, I would argue that any game that attempts to do that very rapidly ceases to be an RPG (for which, I'd have to define an RPG). But, for example a purely simulationist game would not have players, and thus not have player characters, but only designers and observers. It would in fact be a model (or simulation) and not an RPG, because by the definition I provided a game that only and 100% was designed to accommodate that aesthetic wouldn't allow the player to influence the action because by the definition the player is outside of the in-game world and thus not a part of the adjudication of fortune.

As a player, I’ve finding I’m more and more annoyed by gating knowledge behind rolls, as when a failure is rolled the game grinds to a halt.  As a DM, I became equally tired of this – calling for a roll because a roll could be made and then having a failure derail things.

I use different procedures of play to deal with those problems. But from a purely simulationist perspective there is nothing to "derail" and the game can't "grind to a halt". The story can grind to a halt and play can become uncompelling, slow paced, and uninteresting but properly simulation doesn't care about that. To solve those problems, I don't alter the rules, but alter the refereeing - the conditions of the model or fiction as it were. The game engine remains simulationist but the story teller alters the fiction to deal with non-procedural problems like weak drama, slow pacing, etc.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases