RPG/D&D cafe suggestions

For any sort of business plan you'll need to know about business rates and what discount, if any, you'll get as a new business, What the ground rent or purchase costs are for the actual shop (if it includes accommodation will that suit your situation). Most new shops last about 3 to 6 months before the weight of taxes and operating costs take them down in the UK. Do you have any experience of running a business or even any retail experience?

I'd suggest talking to all the game/RPG shops still operating in the UK (very few IIRC) and find out if they can make suggestions or offer advice. Talk to a Small Business Advisor http://www.sbas.org.uk/ to see what help they can provide.

Deathstrike

First Post
For any sort of business plan you'll need to know about business rates and what discount, if any, you'll get as a new business, What the ground rent or purchase costs are for the actual shop (if it includes accommodation will that suit your situation). Most new shops last about 3 to 6 months before the weight of taxes and operating costs take them down in the UK. Do you have any experience of running a business or even any retail experience?

I'd suggest talking to all the game/RPG shops still operating in the UK (very few IIRC) and find out if they can make suggestions or offer advice. Talk to a Small Business Advisor http://www.sbas.org.uk/ to see what help they can provide.
Yup. Plan Plan Plan. Pray for success, prepare for failure, and hope for a happy medium.

GHammy26

Explorer
Thanks guys,

Great links and advice!

To answer some questions:

I was planning to open on a night after work at first and if I thought there was enough demand during the day I'd see to opening full time. I have a decently paid job currently and was thinking to let that help pay for the store by doing that during the day and the store on a night. If it were to be a full time thing then I'd have to look into hiring someone or quitting my job (which I don't really want to do unless it is overly 'surplus to requirements').

I personally have no experience running a retail outlet, I've heard it is a steep learning curve as well but I'm willing to try.

I'll get in touch with a small business advisor and see what they say. I'll contact some RPG stores (possibly the ones you guys have linked me to) and see how they operate (i.e. suppliers etc)

Thanks again guys, I'm glad I brought my questions here.

G

the_redbeard

Explorer
Actually, this one in Seattle is probably more suitable for comparison and tips. They had less startup capital than Cafe Mox, but appear to be making a go of it.

http://www.gammaraygamestore.com/

I found their gaming area too loud for role playing but other people are still going to Adventure League/5e nights there. And of course, Magic. Basically you have to have Magic nights at your store to survive as far as I can tell.

I think that there is no point in comparing a US based store to get information regarding the viability of a UK based store the differences are too great regarding likely attendance, space and costs. There is absolutely no comparison between a place in Seattle and a small store in a semi-rural location in the British North-West (apart from the North-West thing of course).

aramis erak

Legend
Find out the health code and zoning requirements, too... Many a cafe goes under because of underestimating the costs (in employee time or in closure time) for meeting health codes. Likewise, the requirements may preclude certain kinds of foods.

The details vary from locale to locale, but that they need to be planned for in advance is a universal.

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
Well something to consider is that both RPG game shops and restaurants are both high failure rate businesses, though the former is even tougher than the latter. That said, if you can provide tasty, quality food using fresh ingredients instead of frozen product, a cafe can be more successful and profitable than the RPG side of the business, but doing both well, you'd have a better chance of survival and success, than doing an RPG shop alone. Most RPG game shops offer canned sodas, chips and candy bars. I'd think if you had a small commercial kitchen and a part-time cook with a separate dining area using fresh ingredients (fresh hand-made hamburger not frozen pucks) and good cooking, you could be phenominally more successful, than most similar shops. Of course, as mentioned above with the growing number of board game cafes, it would probably be wise to offer board game play, in addition to RPG and MtG events.

Last edited:

There's is no way that anyone can run an RG shop and have a cafe such as you suggest in the UK without finding they run the risk of finacial collapse in half the time of any normal store. There's the health and safety rules covering food prep that require the preparer to have appropriate certification (to avoid poisoning the customers) that's a considerable cost and makes the shop subject to periodic inspections. Next assuming you find someone cheap enough then the matter of zoning rear's it's ugly head. It may not be possible to change the zoning for the shop to accommodate a cafe.

The OP has no experience in running any sort of retail operation and adding in the food idea is just extra madness. Assuming he get's all his ducks correctly lined up and opens evenings only to start that is more likely to slow down the inevitable collapse. His best chance is to take professional advice from appropriate people and not rely on the random strangers inhabiting a board on a site not related to the business at all.

But don't let facts spoil anyone's chances of throwing a useless comment into the thread.

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
There's is no way that anyone can run an RG shop and have a cafe such as you suggest in the UK without finding they run the risk of finacial collapse in half the time of any normal store.

Honestly, half the shops without food suffer financial collapse just the same - I don't think there's a difference in the risk, with or without food sales, RPG shops are risky operations, no matter what other conditions are met.

There's the health and safety rules covering food prep that require the preparer to have appropriate certification (to avoid poisoning the customers) that's a considerable cost and makes the shop subject to periodic inspections. Next assuming you find someone cheap enough then the matter of zoning rear's it's ugly head. It may not be possible to change the zoning for the shop to accommodate a cafe.

In the US, a food health certification is like $50 and a 90 day class at the local community college (its no big deal), and most health inspections happen once at the start of operations and periodically, often several years apart. Again, you keep a clean kitchen and follow the health rules - its no big deal.

The OP has no experience in running any sort of retail operation and adding in the food idea is just extra madness. Assuming he get's all his ducks correctly lined up and opens evenings only to start that is more likely to slow down the inevitable collapse. His best chance is to take professional advice from appropriate people and not rely on the random strangers inhabiting a board on a site not related to the business at all.

I don't know what the OP has experience with, but most people I know in both game shops and small restaurants have zero experience in retail and food service, but doesn't seem to stop the inexperienced from opening such businesses. And of course, it would be silly not to rent/lease/buy a building that doesn't already have an existing commercial kitchen, if you intended to open a game shop cafe. The cost of equipment, not to mention the grease ventilation and fire-suppression system would be too costly to install brand new for such an intended cafe. Of course there ought to be plenty of available properties that have an existing kitchen. The kitchen area needs only be a prep area, flat grill, a deep fryer, a freezer and refrigeration - it doesn't even have to be a separate room (though would be better if it were).

And perhaps, I am a "random stranger inhabiting a board", but I am also an experienced restaurant owner/operator, have run a graphic design studio and digital print shop for 20 years with some level of retail in my shop. Aside from the graphics schooling, I had no official training in food service nor retail, yet ran successful businesses for over 25 years. Maybe such options are too difficult for you, but IME, its no more challenging than anything else in life. In my case aside from some jobs held during and shortly after college, my entire life experience has been in self employment by running businesses, and I've never found that life over-challenging (I'd go as far as calling it work, but relatively easy work).

But don't let facts spoil anyone's chances of throwing a useless comment into the thread.

I'd consider anyone opening an RPG game shop alone to be the most risky proposition, doing so as a cafe, I'd consider much smarter and better investment than the former. Perhaps my comment is useless to you, but if you have half-a-brain, I'd think the value in my comment would be most welcome. Running retail and food service both involve work, keeping operations clean and efficient, but that's true with most things - it's not rocket science, though.

Last edited:

I see Mr Tumey wants to engage in a dick waving contest. I'm sorry to disappoint him but I don't do those.

Despite the fact that he appears to speak English he obviously has no experience of the British business and regulatory environment that the OP will have to contend with.

I shall suggest Mr Tumey keeps his 'wisdom' for someone in his own state that he can pontificate to with some degree of actual knowledge.

Remove ads