RPG/D&D cafe suggestions

GHammy26

Explorer
Recently the owner of a small shop in my village has sadly passed away leaving his place of work behind to no-one. I've been thinking about trying to purchase it when the bank finally put it on the market (not really sure how that part works), and turning it into a D&D (or RPG and tabletop in general) cafe/ store.

There are several High Schools, a Sixth Form and a university close by, not to mention good transport links to towns that are less than 20mins drive away. I've already had ideas to rent tables out to groups, set up magic the gathering tables, sell some geeky stuff, etc. and I've already started work on a pretty awesome RPG table that was originally just going to be for my gaming group, but hell, may as well use it in the store if this plan comes to fruition.

Anyway, I am just wondering if anyone has ever had experience dealing with one of these cafes/shops and what it was like. Also any suggestions of what you would want from a store like this, that would have you taking the 20min bus ride to visit.

Thanks
G

There are any number of folks starting board game cafes near me (Bournemouth/Southampton/Portsmouth corridor) with an increasing number UK-wide taking the plunge. You'll need a good business plan before the bank will give you any money and that includes more market research than 'there are schools nearby'. You'll need to actually sell MtG cards to make any money off them and possibly offer some sort of trading option. Talk to the distributors about this. I suggest that you will need to have some edibles on sale without going to the expense of having someone in trained to deal with food i.e. candy machine, soft drink machine so talk to a drinks distributor about this. The cost of stock will be considerable and you'll need a business account and company set up to deal with this aspect. It's no more than any new business needs and you may be able to get government grants as it could count as rural for example. Talk to a small business adivsor for more details.

GHammy26

Explorer
There are any number of folks starting board game cafes near me (Bournemouth/Southampton/Portsmouth corridor) with an increasing number UK-wide taking the plunge. You'll need a good business plan before the bank will give you any money and that includes more market research than 'there are schools nearby'. You'll need to actually sell MtG cards to make any money off them and possibly offer some sort of trading option. Talk to the distributors about this. I suggest that you will need to have some edibles on sale without going to the expense of having someone in trained to deal with food i.e. candy machine, soft drink machine so talk to a drinks distributor about this. The cost of stock will be considerable and you'll need a business account and company set up to deal with this aspect. It's no more than any new business needs and you may be able to get government grants as it could count as rural for example. Talk to a small business adivsor for more details.

Thanks for the advice, I have already started my research via asking local RPG societies and groups if they'd use it and it's been quite positive so far. Unfortunately the schools and University are currently on summer leave so I can't start pestering them until they come back. Money isn't a problem for me at the moment (hence the idea of starting a business) but stock keeping as you mentioned will probably be the greatest expense, so if I can find any grants that would help I'll still look to getting them. I have a fair few ideas on how to bring people in such as card trading events, dice trading (because let's face it we all have a d20 we believe is cursed) and a few other bits and bobs such as food and hot beverages (also there is a pub next door to the shop I'm thinking about).

I'm not really doing this for the money as it's more for my love of D&D and tabletop games in general and wanting to get more people enjoying this hobby. However, I need to know if this is a sustainable business and will it mean I need to keep my current job or will it be enough to live off, does anyone have any info regarding this? I'll have a look for a small business advisor thanks.

G

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
T However, I need to know if this is a sustainable business and will it mean I need to keep my current job or will it be enough to live off, does anyone have any info regarding this?

There's absolutely no way to answer this without examining your business plan. Some have made similar-sounding concepts into a successful venture; others have failed to do so.

GHammy26

Explorer
There's absolutely no way to answer this without examining your business plan. Some have made similar-sounding concepts into a successful venture; others have failed to do so.

That is a very good point, I'll work on that.

Just wanting to generally know what people would want in a store like this.

G

Remove ads