D&D 5E Ed Greenwood's 'Death Masks' and Greyhawk

DMZ2112

Chaotic Looseleaf
Inspired by the recent post on the end of Forgotten Realms novels, I thought I might bring this to the attention of the community because I think it might be relevant. My apologies if it has already been brought up, but I could not find reference to it, possibly because of the recent database troubles.

I finished reading Ed Greenwood's Death Masks a few weeks ago and was surprised to find Mordenkainen, of Greyhawk fame, making appearances throughout the book. His role is minor; although he does help Elminster out of a scrape or two, he seems to mostly serve the purpose of keeping Elminster out of the main story arc so that it can focus on other characters.

Elminster is apparently helping Mordenkainen restore his mind -- more specifically, the Sage of Shadowdale is acting as a shield while Mordenkainen heals himself, in case the Oeridian archmage goes explosively mad and puts himself or Toril at risk. The characterization is kind to Mordenkainen, and doesn't cast him as helpless, which would be easy to do.

But the real question it raises is, "Why Mordenkainen?" Any number of characters from the extended cast of the Forgotten Realms could have served the same purpose. Mordenkainen's role in the story is not a cameo, it is dynamic. While firmly set in the background, he goes from gibbering and violent at the beginning of the book to composed and helpful by the end. He develops, from a character perspective. Again, why?

In general, Death Masks reads like a "setting reset." It pointedly undoes the status quo established by 4th Edition and lays the groundwork for a lot of future Realms material, whether that material is novels or game supplements. It does things like replacing a large number of Masked Lords while introducing Omin Dran (of Acquisitions Incorporated) into the official canon of the setting. It sets up Storm King's Thunder, with the arrival of the cloud castle over Waterdeep. It introduces the setting's first homosexual male couple (to the best of my knowledge).

In short, the book, while entertaining, feels like it was constructed to specifications. As a result, I wondered if Mordenkainen's appearance and recovery could portend an earlier than later return to Greyhawk. Then I happened upon something interesting.

On July 7, Ed Greenwood gave an interview on Dragon Talk (the official D&D podcast) where he confirmed my suspicion that Death Masks was something of a thinly disguised roadmap for the next few years of D&D, dense with what he called "easter eggs." He made explicit reference to discussing with Chris Perkins a "checklist" of beats that he was to hit in the story. You can listen to the interview yourself; the actual statement was meandering and difficult to transcribe (gods bless Ed Greenwood), but very clear in its intent. He does not mention Mordenkainen by name, but there is a strong implication that he is one of these easter eggs.

So if we're about to see a change in the Realms novel lineup, as others have suspected, I have to wonder if Mordenkainen's sudden introduction into Realms canon has some bearing on the other news we are hearing. I am inclined to agree with the crowd that it is too early for a move to Greyhawk from the Forgotten Realms for 5th Edition, but this sequence of coincidences was just too much for me to ignore entirely.

flametitan

Explorer
When was Death Masks written/published again? Mordenkainen's depiction sounds like it might be a shout out to Curse of Strahd.

Mirtek

Hero
When was Death Masks written/published again? Mordenkainen's depiction sounds like it might be a shout out to Curse of Strahd.
Indeed. It's the novels way of acknowledging that the APs happened or are still happening somewhere while telling their own stories in the forefront (like the Drizzt novels handling all of ToD in just a couple of sentences). Just like that pointless scene with the cloud giant clans that was also totally unimportant to the plot of Death Masks and only there to tell us that yes, SKT is happening right now too

Also note that Mordenkainen & Co have been part of the realms canon for decades. Elminster used to regularly meet with him (and archmages from Krynn and other D&D worlds) to share spells and good food

Personally I don't see that many groundwork for the farther realms laid out in this book, hardly anything what happened there has much impact beyond Waterdeep. Waterdeep however has been moved a large step backward to it's pre-4e incarnation, which almost all new districts that were created in the last 100 years destroyed one way or annother. A shame, I thought Mistshore was a really interesting district

Last edited:

DMZ2112

Chaotic Looseleaf
Indeed. It's the novels way of acknowledging that the APs happened or are still happening somewhere while telling their own stories in the forefront (like the Drizzt novels handling all of ToD in just a couple of sentences).

Someone's going to have to explain to me how Mordenkainen is a nod to Curse of Strahd. Does he appear in that AP?

Also note that Mordenkainen & Co have been part of the realms canon for decades. Elminster used to regularly meet with him (and archmages from Krynn and other D&D worlds) to share spells and good food

Can you point to this happening outside of a Dragon or Polyhedron article? I'm not denying that it has, I am just curious, as I'd be interested to read such a source. I am under the impression that this is the first time any relationship between Elminster and Mordenkainen has been confirmed in an independently published source.

That's ultimately irrelevant, though; the point is not that Toril and Oerth (and Barovia) exist in the same reality. We know that's true, as the DMG makes that abundantly clear. Elminster knowing Mordenkainen is not a surprise in the broader context. The point is: why inject a narratively developing reference to that connection, here and now?

Personally I don't see that many groundwork for the farther realms laid out in this book

Again, the "easter egg" and "checklist" language is Ed's, not mine. You can disagree about whether the book was successful in laying out a roadmap but you can't deny that it was their intent.

flametitan

Explorer
Someone's going to have to explain to me how Mordenkainen is a nod to Curse of Strahd. Does he appear in that AP?

Yep. He was driven mad in a fight against Strahd. The players can help him recover, and he's also a valid reading for "Who is your ally against Strahd?"

DMZ2112

Chaotic Looseleaf
Yep. He was driven mad in a fight against Strahd. The players can help him recover, and he's also a valid reading for "Who is your ally against Strahd?"

Thank you, flametitan, mystery solved! I would never have thought to look for Mordenkainen in Curse of Strahd, but it is a pretty cool piece of lore and I am glad to know about it (even if Mordenkainen should have wiped the walls with Strahd).

I had thought the reference to his madness was from 3rd Edition; I remember him going off the rails around the time he shaved his head.

Mirtek

Hero
Can you point to this happening outside of a Dragon or Polyhedron article?
Well, first of all those were fully canon.

Beyond that it's mentioned in various sourcebooks (e.g. The Code of the Harpers mentioning that Elminster and Khelben may be often not available to be called on due to being on Oerth or Krynn) and other novels (the Lost Gods trilogy started with a FR novel, book 2 was a DL novel and book 3 was a FR novel again with the main protagonists from book 2 having teamed up with the FR party from book 1). For Duty and Deity is an adventure bearing the FR label but dealing mostly with Grazzt and his realms and mentioning Iuz and Iggliv a lot.

It's also written somewhere, can't remember where, that Elminster is the reason why Fistandandilus is staying away from Toril and that Mordenkainen and Khelben hate each others guts.

Last edited:

Shiroiken

Legend
The crossover between settings was set as canon back in 2E. In addition to the various short stories in Dragon, there was the Spelljammer setting which connected them all (except Ravenloft, which was already connected to every setting by default). Unless they've decided to undo this canon for unknown reasons, it makes sense, especially given the tweets and discussions by Mearls about the Planar configurations.

Plaguescarred

D&D Playtester for WoTC since 2012
If it's any indication that GREYHAWK is in the pipeline i'm all for it as i've been sage waiting for something other than FR for a long time now my arms are open for anything! :)

Remove ads