Mythological Figures: Miyamoto Musashi (5E)

Mythological Figures focuses on Fifth Edition builds for persons too big for true history like Achilles and Sir Lancelot, but some individuals absolutely distinguished themselves to an equal status. Perhaps my favorite of these is arguably one of the most skilled people to have ever picked up a sword: Miyamoto Musashi!

The accomplishments of Musashi are legendary and for good reason. This man wrote the Book of Five Rings, won scores of duels, invented the katana-and-wakizashi style of fighting (“niten'ichi sword style”, on the fly after undoing an ambush, killing the head of a prominent family trying to assassinate him, while fleeing from the surviving soldiers), routinely fought duels using a bokken (wooden sword) against opponents wielding blades (including a guy with a two-handed nodachi known as “The Demon of the Western Provinces”), and finally died like a badass:

At the moment of his death, he had himself raised up. He had his belt tightened and his wakizashi put in it. He seated himself with one knee vertically raised, holding the sword with his left hand and a cane in his right hand. He died in this posture, at the age of sixty-two.

There is no brief recap able to do Musashi justice and his extremely well-documented life is worth reading up on if you haven’t heard of him before. Consider including him in your next game and see how if the adventurers' mettle is a match for Japan’s most famous ronin!

(Musashi will not be the only samurai in this series--tell us who else needs to get an article in the comments!)

Miyamoto Musashi
Medium humanoid (human), lawful neutral fighter (samurai) 18

Armor Class
16 (padded, defensive fighting style)
Hit Points 135 (18d10+36)
Speed 30 ft.

STRDEXCONINTWISCHA
16 (+3)19 (+4)14 (+2)13 (+1)9 (-1)11 (+0)

Saving Throws
Str +9, Con +8, Wis +5
Skills Acrobatics +10, Athletics +9, Insight +5, Intimidation +7
Senses passive Perception 9
Languages Common
Challenge 10 (5,900 XP)

Action Surge (2/short rest). Once on his turn, Musashi can take an additional action on top of his regular action and a possible bonus action.

Feats: Maneuver Master (6d6 maneuver dice/short rest).
Musashi can expend a maneuver dice to perform a single maneuver with an attack.

• Counter. Musashi can use his reaction to make a melee attack against a creature that misses him with a melee attack, dealing 1d6 additional damage on a hit.
  • Disarm. A creature Musashi has hit with an attack takes 1d6 additional damage and makes a DC 18 Strength saving throw or drops one held item of his choice.
  • Feint. Musashi can use his bonus action to feint against one creature within 5 feet. He has advantage on his next attack roll against that creature as long as it before the end of his turn. On a hit he deals 1d6 additional damage.
  • Lunge. Musashi increases his reach by 5 feet for one attack, dealing 1d6 additional damage on a hit.
  • Sweep. Musashi chooses a creature adjacent to his target and within his reach and on a hit, the adjacent creature takes 1d6 damage (of the same type as the weapon attack).
  • Trip. Musashi deals 1d6 additional damage and if the target is a creaturesof Large size or smaller, it makes a DC 18 Strength saving throw or is knocked prone.
Feat: Mobile. Musashi can Dash through difficult terrain without requiring additional movement. Whenever he makes an attack against a creature, he doesn’t provoke opportunity attacks from that creature until the end of his turn.

Indomitable (3/long rest).
Musashi can reroll a saving throw that he fails but must use the new roll.

Second Wind (1/short rest).
On his turn, Musashi can use a bonus action to regain 1d10+18 hit points.

Warrior Spirit (3/long rest).
Musashi can use a bonus action to gain 15 temporary hit points and advantage on weapon attack rolls until the end of his turn. When Musashi rolls for initiative and has no uses of this feature remaining, he regains one use.

ACTIONS

Multiattack. Musashi attacks three times.

Rapid Strike (1/turn).
When Musashi has advantage on a weapon attack during his turn, he may choose to roll normally and instead make an additional attack against that target.

Katana.
Melee Weapon Attack:
+10 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 7 (1d8+3) slashing damage if wielded in one hand or 8 (1d10+3) slashing damage if wielded in two hands.

Longbow.
Ranged Weapon Attack:
+9 to hit, range 150/600 ft., one target. Hit: 7 (1d8+3) piercing damage.
REACTIONS

Feat: Master of the Sword.
Musashi can use his reaction when wielding a sword to gain a +1 bonus to his AC until the start of his next turn or until he is disarmed. In addition, Musashi has advantage on opportunity attacks.

Warrior Undying.
Musashi can use his reaction to immediately take one action, bonus action, and move when he is reduced to 0 hit points and not killed outright. This interrupts the initiative order and Musashi is treated as though he were unconscious and dying (taking death saving throw failures when he takes damage during this extra turn). Musashi falls unconscious after taking his extra turn if he has not regained any hit points.
[FONT=&amp]Save[/FONT][FONT=&amp]Save[/FONT][FONT=&amp]Save[/FONT][FONT=&amp]Save[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Save[/FONT][FONT=&amp]Save[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Save[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Save[/FONT]

Last edited by a moderator:

Mike Myler

Mike Myler

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Tomoe Gozen would be a good choice. There's a series of novels about her translated to a fantasy Japan by Jessica Amanda Salmonson that's worth reading and would provide good inspiration. Aphra Behn is another. She was a playwright, poet, and spy in the late 17th Century. Spying didn't work out so she took up the pen. If you want to go off the beaten path, there's the infamous Cantonese pirate captain/madame Ching Shih.

I think I’d rather focus on fictional or semi fictional characters. The occasional real person is OK, but this is about mythology not history.

Jay Verkuilen

Grand Master of Artificial Flowers
I think I’d rather focus on fictional or semi fictional characters. The occasional real person is OK, but this is about mythology not history.
Yeah I get that, but with someone like Musashi it's tough to separate the legend from the fact. I think your rule would be safe with Tomoe Gozen, who's pretty clearly been turned into a legend over time, but Aphra Behn would be a bit too well documented.

Maybe a series on real life people who make good inspiration for fictional characters? Aphra Behn, Ching Shih, and, oh, William Dampier, are all good examples, just to pick three.

Kobold Boots

Banned
Banned

The litmus test on this could be that a historical figure needs to have a significant mythology built around them that transcends their original culture and becomes something close to commonish knowledge within the community. Then remove living folks for courtesy reasons.

Ex. Musashi makes sense to me, but anyone I'd have to look up to know who they were, not so much. The question likely needs to be - If I make an article with this personage, can the expectation truly be that the majority of the community will know who it is?

Jay Verkuilen

The litmus test on this could be that a historical figure needs to have a significant mythology built around them that transcends their original culture and becomes something close to commonish knowledge within the community. Then remove living folks for courtesy reasons. Ex. Musashi makes sense to me, but anyone I'd have to look up to know who they were, not so much. The question likely needs to be - If I make an article with this personage, can the expectation truly be that the majority of the community will know who it is?

I am 100% with you on anyone living or even alive in the last 100 years.

However I think the "no lookup rule" might be a bit too restrictive because it may really bias towards the same-old same-old. There are some cool stories of mythologized figures from the tales of the Mongols, just to pick one example, that would likely not meet the "familiar to the community" test but would push people's interest. Just as an example, consider Princess Khutulun. She's described by Marco Polo and is clearly a figure who's myth exceeds what would have been the reality---as impressive as the reality was. Ching Shih is another of those larger than life figures. She died in bed the 1850s but was at one point the leader of a massive pirate flotilla in Southern China. I wouldn't want to have figures from, say, Africa or India, kicked out simply due to lack of familiarity with those tales. The fact that both JRR Tolkien and Michael Moorcock (despite their antipathy, at least one-sided on the part of Moorcock; unclear that JRRT knew much of MM) were inspired by then-obscure Finnish mythology means that those stories reached a wider audience. One could say "well that's just inclusivity...", but come on, there are some badass stories out there! Let's not miss them.

Kobold Boots

Banned
Banned
I am 100% with you on anyone living or even alive in the last 100 years.

However I think the "no lookup rule" might be a bit too restrictive because it may really bias towards the same-old same-old. There are some cool stories of mythologized figures from the tales of the Mongols, just to pick one example, that would likely not meet the "familiar to the community" test but would push people's interest. Just as an example, consider Princess Khutulun. She's described by Marco Polo and is clearly a figure who's myth exceeds what would have been the reality---as impressive as the reality was. Ching Shih is another of those larger than life figures. She died in bed the 1850s but was at one point the leader of a massive pirate flotilla in Southern China. I wouldn't want to have figures from, say, Africa or India, kicked out simply due to lack of familiarity with those tales. The fact that both JRR Tolkien and Michael Moorcock (despite their antipathy, at least one-sided on the part of Moorcock; unclear that JRRT knew much of MM) were inspired by then-obscure Finnish mythology means that those stories reached a wider audience. One could say "well that's just inclusivity...", but come on, there are some badass stories out there! Let's not miss them.

I hear you Jay, I really do.

That said, the medium where things get published has a lot to do with whether or not things are appropriate for mass distribution or more for the flavor of a personal campaign only.

Back in the day if a sourcebook had cthulu in it or some meso-american stuff, and it didn't have norse or arthurian stuff in it, I wouldn't have bought it as it didn't map to what I wanted and wouldn't have vibed with my players unless I reskinned it. So you get sourcebooks with cool lesser known stuff thrown in with better known stuff and it sells.

On a web site where the goal is trying to get the widest level of appeal and stuff is packaged in one article for one personage, it's likely that I'm going to consider it strange if we start getting things the majority have never heard of or considered chatting about. There's a place for that certainly, but I'm not sure I expect it to be here, instead of your table when you find a cool story and decide to tell it your way with your statting of the personage.

Each their own. I'm not stumping for inclusion or exclusion, but the more obscure the object of the article the longer the article is going to need to be for anyone to be able to determine whether or not the statting fits their needs. (Add a section on the story behind the object, the myth etc.) Folks need to feel they understand the story first.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jay Verkuilen

I hear you Jay, I really do.

That said, the medium where things get published has a lot to do with whether or not things are appropriate for mass distribution or more for the flavor of a personal campaign only.

People in Medieval France found Khutulun's story compelling enough to make pictures of her and invent a character based on her. I think it's not a massive stretch to think she might be compelling enough for us.

On a web site where the goal is trying to get the widest level of appeal and stuff is packaged in one article for one personage, it's likely that I'm going to consider it strange if we start getting things the majority have never heard of or considered chatting about.

Wow that's totally the same defensive reasoning that makes Hollywood so reticent to consider other characters. I'm talking about a few posts on a web site that publishes all sorts of stuff that draws only a few reads.

I'm not at all saying don't have coverage of Achilles or Arthurian heroes, just throw in some other examples besides the usual repeats.

Kobold Boots

Banned
Banned
Hi Jay -

Since you only quoted the pieces of my post that could have been taken as disagreeing with you and didn't bother reflecting on the end of my post that pretty much explained why I had my position on the matter I'm going to reply to your points and make my final point again.

If you didn't read me fully the first time, do it this time before you reply to me again. Please and thank you.

People in Medieval France found Khutulun's story compelling enough to make pictures of her and invent a character based on her. I think it's not a massive stretch to think she might be compelling enough for us.

All things that become mythology are compelling. That's really not the point.

The point is, that these articles are being paid for to hit a word count. Things that people already have some familiarity with get more space for stats. Things that people don't have familiarity with need more explanation at the expense of stats and game goodness. So if you're going to go with things that are obscure you need to put more into it over time and explain the myth or tell the stories for people who don't know them. Otherwise that which you don't understand does not become cool, and that which is not cool, does not get used.

Wow that's totally the same defensive reasoning that makes Hollywood so reticent to consider other characters.

Yes, it is. Because that which generates wider interest has a greater chance of being seen and being seen results in a higher probability of generating profit or simple use. However, I'm not saying that there aren't other great stories out there that I'm unaware of and that I wouldn't enjoy were I exposed to them.

I'm not at all saying don't have coverage of Achilles or Arthurian heroes, just throw in some other examples besides the usual repeats.

Got it. All I was saying is think about what you're asking for inside the confines of what we've been seeing for posts and think about why the average person wouldn't use what you're asking for if put in the exact same format. There's a place for new stuff but it shouldn't be put together in the same fashion as the retreads.

Be well
KB

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases