• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Lich (Origins)

The Grumpy Celt

Banned
Banned
Where did the lich come from?

Namely, when did it first appear as a monster? Who created it? Why? What gave them the idea?

These are not meant to be "in-game" questions, but out-of-game questions.

Many thanks to anyone who can provide an answer.

graydoom

First Post
Just bumping this... I would like to know, too. I've never considered this... I've assumed that some fantasy author or game creator thought up the idea of a powerful magic-user that used his magic to achieve immortality through the dark arts... but I don't actually know anything.

MythandLore

First Post
I *think* (I can't remeber for sure) Lich (Middle English) comes from Lic (Old English) for a dead body or corpse. (95% Likely :) )

If anyone can find an online Old English or Middle Engish Dictionary you could find out for sure.

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
Hmm... The only thing I've found is in GURPS Undead:

"Since the lich is largely a modern-day fantasy construct, it isn't steeped in folklore, although undead sorcerers in general are all somewhat lich-like (e.g., Koschei the Undying from Russian folklore...)" *shrug* It's a start, I guess... ;)

Grayswandir

Just a lurker
Hmm

While I'm not familiar with the original 1E Monster Manual (before my time), I do know that the Demilich appeared in the Monster Manual II. Thus, I think it's a safe assumption that the Lich was in AD&D from the start (not sure about Original D&D though). The GURPs quote above seems to imply that the Lich is actually a construct of D&D and did not appear before then. I know there was a Lich in the first Final Fantasy game (along with some monsters that looks suspiciously like illithids), but that was probably borrowed from D&D as well.

If I had to guess, I would consider the Lich to be D&D's version of that "undead sorcerer" type. Of course, Col_Pladoh can probably put all questions here to rest.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads