The Lich (Origins)

CWD

First Post
lich

A quaint old term meaning "body", either living or dead. Lich is a fine Old English term which inspired many hyphenated constructions like: lich-bell (a bell rung before the corpse), lich-gate (the covered entrance to a cemetery where mourners waited for the arrival of the clergyman who was to conduct the graveside service), lich-house (a mortuary), lich-lay (a tax to provide for churchyards), lich-rest (a grave), and lich-stone (a stone upon which a body could be placed to give the pall-bearers a rest). Old English law held that whatever way a lich passed became a lich-way or a public thoroughfare. This undoubtably was a reason for survivors living at the end of private roads on secluded estates to feel contempt towards the deceased. The practice has been discontinued.

MythandLore

First Post
CWD said:
lich

A quaint old term meaning "body", either living or dead. Lich is a fine Old English term which inspired many hyphenated constructions like: lich-bell (a bell rung before the corpse), lich-gate (the covered entrance to a cemetery where mourners waited for the arrival of the clergyman who was to conduct the graveside service), lich-house (a mortuary), lich-lay (a tax to provide for churchyards), lich-rest (a grave), and lich-stone (a stone upon which a body could be placed to give the pall-bearers a rest). Old English law held that whatever way a lich passed became a lich-way or a public thoroughfare. This undoubtably was a reason for survivors living at the end of private roads on secluded estates to feel contempt towards the deceased. The practice has been discontinued.

What book did you find it in?

A2Z

Explorer
Re: Hmm

Grayswandir said:
I know there was a Lich in the first Final Fantasy game (along with some monsters that looks suspiciously like illithids), but that was probably borrowed from D&D as well.

They also had a marilith demon, a kraken and of course Tiamat. :)

As to the lich. I too remember reading that the name meant corpse. As to the origins... I'm have no clue. It would seem they are purely made up. However I don't think we'd have too much trouble finding mythological of fictional references to undead sorcerers.

The Grumpy Celt

Banned
Banned
Bump agian.

Thanks.

Attachments

• StrangerThingsDnD.jpg
    StrangerThingsDnD.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 10,027

Darraketh

First Post
"lich" is also listed an adjective meaning "like; equal" although the dictionary also lists it as obscure.

This is interesting in that the Lich in D&D term is like the dead or a corpse in most ways.:eek:

Grayswandir

Just a lurker
So lich (an undead sorcerer) lich (is similar to) lich (a corpse)? Now that *is* interesting. I suppose I already knew that lich lich lich, but not quite in those words.

Geoffrey

First Post
I can give you the answer to part of your question:

The lich first appeared in D&D in the Greyhawk supplement, written by Gary Gygax and Robert J. Kuntz and published in 1975.

Here's what the book has to say about liches:

Alignment: Neutral or Chaotic
Number of Attacks: 1
Damage per Attack: 1-10 plus special
Number Appearing: 1-4
Armor Class: 3
Move: 6
Hit Dice: 10+
% in Lair: 100%
Type of Treasure: A

LICHES: These skeletal monsters are of magical origin, each Lich formerly being a very powerful Magic-User/Cleric in life, and now alive only by means of great spells and will because of being in some way disturbed. A Lich ranges from 12th level upwards, typically being 18th level of Magic-Use. They are able to employ whatever spells are usable at their appropriate level, and in addition their touch causes paralization, no saving throw. The mere sight of a Lich will send creatures below 5th level fleeing in fear.

And that, my friend, is how the lich got started in D&D. It's pre-D&D days, though, are unknown to me.

Ulrick

First Post
I always thought "lich" was German meaning "corpse." But then I typed "lich" into an online German to English translator. The word "laughed" came up...

:rolleyes:

Ulrick

Last edited:

Remove ads